PDA

View Full Version : The New Pet Talk!

Karen
01-14-2002, 11:02 PM
We are still in the process of customizing the new software. We will be changing things like colors and layouts and adding new features as the week progresses.

We will try to keep you updated with this thread. Feel free to email us any questions you may have with the new software.

We will post helpful hints for users as we go, for example, how to post your avatar - that's the picture under your user name in the left column - and how to change it so all posts appear in your own time zone.

But even posting a simple message, it's easy to use color now.

AdoreMyDogs
01-15-2002, 05:42 AM
Wowwie! Neat-O !!!Just playing and figuring things out Now how about that...we have COLOR :D :D

It'll take some getting used to but I think I like it already :)

Gio
01-15-2002, 05:49 AM
I really like the new look. I still have to see how some of the features work but I personally think it's a big improvement.Well done Karen & Paul!!!

Paul, I hope you are feeling better and that the move to the new software has not given you too much of a headache :D

sasvermont
01-15-2002, 06:22 AM
I like the new software too! I haven't the time today, this morning, to really check it out, but I love the color. And the speed! Thanks, thanks, thanks.:)

lbaker
01-15-2002, 06:34 AM
but when am I going to have time to explore all this new stuff:confused: :D Maybe when I get home but very nice you guys ;) laurie oh...not sure how I will like everyone knowing just how much time I do spend peeking around here :o

aly
01-15-2002, 06:37 AM
GREAT JOB!!!

I love the new look Karen & Paul!!

I can't wait to get home from school and check it all out :D

aly
01-15-2002, 06:42 AM
Cooooooooool! The profiles have average posts per day! Heheh! That's really neat!

Former User
01-15-2002, 06:52 AM
Wow, takes some time to go thru all, but doesn't look bad have to say :)

Good job Karen and Paul! Thanx!

We hope Paul feels better!

Niina & Patrick
Kitty & Casper

purrley
01-15-2002, 07:11 AM
I'm a hate change person so this new stuff is quite
confusing - I'm not sure I'll ever have enough time
to get used to it or understand all the features.

Pam
01-15-2002, 07:12 AM
Wow Karen and Paul!! This is totally awesome! I don't have time right now to check out all the new features but as Arnold says....I'll be back!! :D

PJ's Mom
01-15-2002, 07:29 AM
Wow! I like it!

SadiesDad
01-15-2002, 07:46 AM
VERY cool so far! Karen, I've already tried the search feature! It seems to work great! And C O L O R !

Pretty cool!

I do have one question, though. Do we need to resend nominations for dog of the day? I sent a while ago, and don't know where/how you keep the info.

Great job with the integration and choice!

Ralph

zippy-kat
01-15-2002, 08:09 AM
testing

uh-oh....guess what I'll be doing at work today! lol:D

purrley
01-15-2002, 08:12 AM
I'm still getting red X's in boxes instead of pictures:(

zippy-kat
01-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Hey guys! We have a top 20 posters list! lol

Congrats Sandra for holding the top spot! ;)

Cougie Wechsler
01-15-2002, 08:23 AM
Love it, love it, love it!!! I can't wait to start playing around with it!! Thanks for all your hard work!!!

RachelJ
01-15-2002, 08:27 AM
All I can say is that for me on a modem this sure works a whole lot faster. Can't thank you enough for that ! :D Also I like the reverse order of the review of posts in the Your reply area. This is going to make things so much better. Thanks Karen and Paul.

I am posting to find out if I am a citizen or a pillar. Haha
Zippy, where did you find the top 20 poster list?

Karen
01-15-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by SadiesDad

I do have one question, though. Do we need to resend nominations for dog of the day? I sent a while ago, and don't know where/how you keep the info.

Great job with the integration and choice!

Ralph

You don't need to resend any nominations - they reside on my machine at home, and not on the server, so they have not been affected by all this!

tatsxxx11
01-15-2002, 08:33 AM
This is so neat. Love the c o l o r feature! So much fun poking around and finding all the neat features! Even instant messaging! Great work Karen and Paul! Thanks for the cudos Tonya:D And Rachel, I was wondering about the list too....and the designations of citizen, resident and pillar??! Can't figure out a few things...

Can you type, say, in bold and color???

ramanth
01-15-2002, 08:50 AM
WOOHOO!! This is so COOL!!! :)

Great work guys!

~Kimmy

Karen
01-15-2002, 08:53 AM
When you post, you can make things bold by typing [ b ] and [ /b ] (without the spaces) before and after whatever you made color as well.

The designations are, I think (I may have confused Resident and Citizen) ...

Newcomer: (less than 10 posts - used to be "new member")

Resident: someone who has more than 10 posts (used to be member)

Citizen: someone who has more than 100 posts (used to be member)

Pillar: someone with more than 1,000 posts - a pillar of the community! (used to be member)

Gio
01-15-2002, 09:02 AM
Rachel,

if you want to find the top 20 you just click on the members button at the top of the page. You can then sort the list alphabetically, by the date the members joined, chose the top 20 options etc. I think the default is the alphabetical sort, but I played around with the new features so much today that I'm can't remember what the defaults were!

Logan
01-15-2002, 09:29 AM
I MUST get some work done! LOL!! But Karen, I did notice in Cat Rescue that the topics have "doubled". There is two of everything listed.

This is going to be fun. It will just take a while to get accustomed to it, but so many more options available. And Sandra, if it makes you feel any better, I looked at the "top 20" and both of my user names made the list! LOL! Added together, they put me in second place, behind you, at 3,326. :D

tatsxxx11
01-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Already checked THAT out Logan!!;) I was so glad they had your other posts tallied up there as well!

Dixieland Dancer
01-15-2002, 10:00 AM
Wonderful! I usually don't like change but after a few minutes this is really neat!! So much to figure out, don't know if I'll get much work done today :eek:

Great job Paul and Karen! You deserve an award!!!! :D

Dixieland Dancer
01-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Karen
When you post, you can make things bold by typing [ b ] and [ /b ] (without the spaces) before and after whatever you made color as well.

The designations are, I think (I may have confused Resident and Citizen) ...

Newcomer: (less than 10 posts - used to be "new member")

Resident: someone who has more than 10 posts (used to be member)

Citizen: someone who has more than 100 posts (used to be member)

Pillar: someone with more than 1,000 posts - a pillar of the community! (used to be member)

WoW! Check it out.... I was able to change mine. I am now the Official Doggie Hugger!!!

This is really neat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't take me long to get use to the change! :D

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2002, 10:52 AM
This is Soooo Neat!! Wow!

Karen & PAUL ~ OutSTANDING Job!

Soo many new Toys in the ToyBox! Which one to play with next??? :D

Now if we could just get WebShots to cooperate and restore all our thummynails...

Hey ~ the preview looks like "our" pix works; to bad that Dad isn't showing up :(.

aly
01-15-2002, 11:00 AM
Yaaaay, I'm having fun playing.

I had a question but I got sidetracked so many times finding new things that I forgot what it was! :o

I think I'm going to have to find an alternative to Webshots.

NoahsMommy
01-15-2002, 11:10 AM
How cool is this? I can even change FONT???

And look at the pretty colors! Neat!!!

Karen & Paul... You REALLY did a great job! I love it!!! Thank you! :)

jennifert
01-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Great job! Thank you so much! I haven't had time to explore all the new features but I will when I get home tonight! Thanks again!

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2002, 11:45 AM
First: Karen & Paul ~ Wow again! This new software is Really NEAT!!!!

OK, back to WebShots...

They (WebShots) seem to be still working on their upgrades. Our thummynails work for a while, then fail as broken picture icons for a while, then restore and work OK. I'd sugest that you hang in there for a few more days to see if things will smooth out and return to normal.

But something we found that you might want to check on...

WebShots DID change some of their addressing (how they store your photos. Here's an example...

The Cinder & Smoke thumbnail USED to be stored at:
ht**tp://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/VY/hQ/g4/k977739.jpg (ignore the *stars*)

NOW the storage location is at:
ht**tp://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/9/49/96/29194996goBcMUVftg_ph.jpg (ignore stars again)

NOTICE that those addresses are dramatically :eek: different; and the first one no longer works. When I discovered this last week, I had to change my PT profile to use the "new" WebShots storage location. Lessee if it works right now...

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/9/49/96/29194996goBcMUVftg_th.jpg... As we write, it's working...

Everyone should compare what is stored in your PROFILE on Pet Talk with what you presently get if you click on or check the properties of your WebShots thumbnails. IF the "Photo Storage Locations" are DIFFERENT - then you need to edit your PTalk profile and update the photo locations to what WebShots is now using for your photos.

Even if changing or correcting your stored photo addresses does not immediatly correct you *no thummynail problem* ~ things might improve in a few days. Good luck; and if you have problemsyou can E-mail me.

RachelJ
01-15-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
This is Soooo Neat!! Wow!

Soo many new Toys in the ToyBox! Which one to play with next??? :D

Couldn't have said it any better!!!

For those of you who have a weird time, you can change that in the user cp area as well.

sabies
01-15-2002, 12:01 PM
I definitely like all the new features!

aly
01-15-2002, 12:05 PM
I was on Europe time I think until I changed to Central! hehe

Thanks Phred, I didn't realize they had changed the addys a bit. I'll check mine. I'm betting they did it to my pics too.

thelmalu99
01-15-2002, 01:30 PM
WOW!!!! :cool: :cool:
Looks really great, guys! Fancy Schmancy! :D

Dixieland Dancer
01-15-2002, 01:36 PM
I just posted some pictures on Webshots of Dixie's birthday party. Any new picture I link too works but any picture that was there before last week doesn't.

I just went in and relinked or changed what I wanted to link to and the ugly X disappeared! :D

tatsxxx11
01-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Aly already got the avatar thingy going!! Have to go work on that. Question....Figured out how to do color with bold or italics. Can you change the font type and size along with adding color, bold, etc.??? AND....Can we still put our pic. in our profiles??

tatsxxx11
01-15-2002, 01:58 PM
Keep trying to submit my new name thingy, but not changing. How come??:confused: Never mind...Figured that out! NOW, I can't find a graphic small enough for the avatar! The smallest I have found so far is 80x80! Except for the paw print Aly picked. Found that one too late! LOL! Thought this one would be good.....Just a little too big!:( Oh, forgot you can't send attach. on an edit. Look below....

tatsxxx11
01-15-2002, 02:45 PM
This one would have been good!!

aly
01-15-2002, 03:24 PM
I could make it smaller for ya Sandra.

What is the max size an avatar can be?

aly
01-15-2002, 03:30 PM
Is this too small?

kobieeli
01-15-2002, 03:38 PM
Well, here's my first post in the new and improved Pet Talk since my computer died on Saturday....this is awesome! And so easy to use! Now if I could just figure out the avatar thing and learn to post an attachment, I'd be a goddess in my own eyes. ;) Great work, Paul and Karen! PS: I too have been suffering with a winter cold that has stuck around for the last two weeks, so I know how you feel Paul. Put your feet up, get some hot tea, and take a snooze now--you've earned it! :D

tatsxxx11
01-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks Aly.. It worked perfectly...max. size is 60x60!! Almost all the smaller ones I found were 80x80!!:( You're a dear!! Thanks..And love to Lolly, ReeceMan and Shiloh!

Karen
01-15-2002, 04:38 PM
Yes, the maximun size for an avatar is 60x60 - we made it that size so you can use the "Pet Preview icons" from the home page if you wanted.

If you have an image that's too big that you REALLY want to use, email it to me, and I can quickly remake it to size (as can anyone with Photoshop or a similar program.)

tatsxxx11
01-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Been playing with my Picture It Express software. Finally got the resizing down! Thanks Karen. And you guys did a fantastic job! Thank you for all of your hard work. It is very much appreciated. Hope Paul is feeling better!

aly
01-15-2002, 05:24 PM
By the way Sandra, love your "title" or whatever it is! :D

tatsxxx11
01-15-2002, 05:50 PM
:D :D :D That's a fact!!

KYS
01-15-2002, 06:27 PM
A job well done.

I love it, now I just have to get use to all this fancy stuff.

RainbowAndHobbesMom
01-15-2002, 08:02 PM
WOW! I love the New Pet Talk! It's GREAT!:D Yeah, There is alot of Fancy stuff, but it looks great~~

jackiesdaisy
01-15-2002, 09:08 PM
Karen I'm checking in as a new member and I lost my old membership, I think it has to do with Jackiesdaisy and jackiesdaisy1935, don't know how to get to my regular old Jackie.

Karen
01-15-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy
Karen I'm checking in as a new member and I lost my old membership, I think it has to do with Jackiesdaisy and jackiesdaisy1935, don't know how to get to my regular old Jackie.

Go back to the home page and log out. Then you need to log in with jackiesdaisy1935 as the username. If you don't remember the password, don't fill one in. It will ask you if you've forgotten your password, and if you check "Yes" it will then email your password to you.

The old system let you change the name that was displayed, but your "username" was always still "jackiesdaisy1935"

Email me any questions if this doesn't help ...

*LabLoverKEB*
01-16-2002, 12:19 AM
GREAT JOB!!! I love it! Thank you sooo much, Karen and Paul! You two did a wonderful job! Thanks! :) ;) :) :cool:

sammi
01-16-2002, 01:01 AM
Tonight out of the clear blue I started getting e-mail messages!!!! How do I shut this off? :eek:

Fuzzy317
01-16-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by sammi
Tonight out of the clear blue I started getting e-mail messages!!!! How do I shut this off? :eek:

In user cp, and edit options, about in the middle of the screen Use 'Email Notification' by default? just turn this off. I had to do same thing.

tatsxxx11
01-16-2002, 05:02 AM
I did check off the email default and I'm still getting email notifications to all my postings:( Help! And Chuck, how did you do color change and font size simultaneously????

petspoil
01-16-2002, 05:14 AM
Please help me, I need help on posting the avatar and how to change all posts so that it appears in our own time zone.

It will certainly take some time for me to get use to the New Pet Talk

Pam
01-16-2002, 05:51 AM
I tried to add an avatar but mine are too big even using the thumbnails from my webshots photos. Anyone know how to size them down?

lynnestankard
01-16-2002, 11:10 AM
Oh what a relief - I'm not the only one having problems!!! Great looking new site though isn't it?
IMPROVING!!!!

aly
01-16-2002, 12:27 PM
I can size them down for you Pam. Just post the pic you want to use on a message here and I'll dl it and resize it for you :)

Dixieland Dancer
01-16-2002, 03:36 PM
To resize any picture save it to your hard drive. Bring up a photo editor such as Microsoft Photo editor or a package similar. Look for the resize option.

In Microsoft photo editor go to the Image toolbar and choose the resize option. This brings up the resize window. Make sure your UNITS are in Pixels. If not then change this first. Then make your width 60 and your height 60. You will only get 60 X 60 if you are resizing a perfect square. If not then it will be something like 60 X 54. As long as neither are more than 60 you are okay.

Save the image and then go into the AVatar section and upload it to Pet Talk.

Happy Avataring! :rolleyes:

tatsxxx11
01-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Pam, mine had to be sized down using editing software. Do you have any installed on your computer, e.g. Picture It! Express by microsoft? Mine came installed on my computer, just can't get it to accept resizing in jpg format!!:( I know Candy would be happy to help out if you pick a pic! She helped me:)

lbaker
01-16-2002, 06:19 PM
I'm sooo confused :( I tried to edit my response to POTD to say "now i want a bunny etc... but when i tried to add/change the last comment to read i want add a bunny NOW" ..and have the last remark in bold it didn't seem to work. but i am rather computer illiterate i admit. i will keep trying...I'LL NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN maybe :rolleyes: :confused: :o laurie

lbaker
01-16-2002, 06:21 PM
wowsers...it worked on this :confused: :D laurie

Pam
01-16-2002, 07:25 PM
Yippie it works! Thanks everybody! ;)

Freckles
01-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Did you know that is actually a list of ALL members? A total of 129 pages, with about 51 pages of members who have never posted?

Pam
01-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Chuck I just noticed your "Municipal Fat Cat." Hope Spencer is not reading over your shoulder as you post. :D I noticed a little of the clarity is lost when downsizing but then again I almost need a magnifying glass to see it anyway! :)

lizbud
01-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Charles,
It's so great that you have a pc buddy. Be sure to
teach AJ about all the new changes to Pet Talk. LOL.
Feel free to ask him questions b/c we all know that
cats have all the answers anyway, don't they ?

But seriously, I have a question about how to
discontinue getting "reply to post" messages sent
to my e-mail address. I've clicked on the link given
to discontinue to "register for posts", but still get
a reply in e-mail. Not a Big thing really, but I don't
want to get a reply that someone else has posted
to a subject that I've already posted to...

HELP , what am I not doing that I should be??

AmberLee
01-17-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
...I have a question about how to discontinue getting "reply to post" messages sent to my e-mail address. I've clicked on the link given to discontinue to "register for posts", but still get
a reply in e-mail...

There is another explanation here in 'general' (started by Tatsxxx?) that might be clearer, but I'll give it my best shot.

1) go into 'user cp' and find 'user options' (should be 3rd tab from left if I got the name right.) Go down to the 6th question and click 'no'. Then go to the bottom of that screen and click 'update options' or something like that.

2) If you still get emails, check the bottommost box on the first page when you enter "user cp". Delete every thread listed that you don't want emails for. (for me, that was all of them.)

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

lizbud
01-17-2002, 09:26 PM
O.K. guys, I think I've got it now.
Thanks for the help. Liz.

lizbud
01-18-2002, 10:24 AM
OOOOPS. I'm still getting the "reply to posts"
e-mail. PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY !!!!

tatsxxx11
01-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Me too!! :confused:

lizbud
01-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Gee, Thanks sandra,just got another one.LOL
Do you get this little audible" bong" sound
whever you get a new e-mail message ? Think I'll
just turn down the speakers...LOL. *******************HELP*************************** *

slleipnir
01-18-2002, 03:52 PM
Where do the ratings come from?? Do the monitor people put them up for ones with good info or something??

Former User
01-18-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
OOOOPS. I'm still getting the "reply to posts"
e-mail. PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY !!!!

user cp -> edit options ->
"Use 'Email Notification' by default?
Using this option emails you whenever someone replies to a thread that you have participated in." check that it says NO here. that should work, we hope!

lizbud
01-18-2002, 05:44 PM
Casper & Kitty,

Nope, just checked my profile & I do have a NO
for the default option. If the default means I will
get an e-mail , maybe I should click YES & see what
happens. If I could see a reference book on this
software, I might be able to figure it out myself.
Until then, any ideas are welcome. Thank you. Liz.

AdoreMyDogs
01-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Well it's happened...I officially LOVE the new PetTalk software :D Just took a few days to get used to, but it's super cool now! Love all the new o p t i o n s Thanks SO much, Karen and Paul!!! Good job!

And Lizbud...as long as you said "no" in your user cp; email notification, you will only get email when someone posts to a topic that was started BEFORE you changed your user cp email notification. I get email too, but only to this topic, since I changed the option only after I posted in this topic after I had been bombarded with emails.

AmberLee
01-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Note: you will continue to get emails on threads you logged into prior to opting out until you clear the bottom right-hand box on "user cp", too.

Uh, does this make any sense???

Gepansy
01-18-2002, 09:06 PM
This will take some getting use to!:D ;)

tatsxxx11
01-19-2002, 07:46 AM
Well, one by one I'm losing my signature photos from Webshots. Guess I should try reposting with new Webshots addresses???:confused:

Another question!!! How are you guys posting animated images, e.g. Sleipnir's avatar (horse) and clapping smileys??? I know I could upload it from my computer as an attachment. But to post it from the IMG mode it needs an address, e.g. from Webshots, etc., right? Problem is, Webshots will not recognize or accept animated images!!! And the answer is......:D Also, I'm so frustrated with Webshots, tried to resign up at Photopoint. But I can't find them anymore! Anyone know if they shutdown, or their correct address?? I've been trying www.photopoint.com

ONE MORE THING! Anyone else having trouble navigating using the "back" button? I used to be able to move around with it. Now, when I use "back," I get "page expired." I have to scroll to the bottom and click on Pet Talk and then the topic catagory.

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/luxhello.gif Gues I answered one of my own questions...:o

Karen
01-19-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Well, one by one I'm losing my signature photos from Webshots. Guess I should try reposting with new Webshots addresses???:confused:

Yes!

ONE MORE THING! Anyone else having trouble navigating using the "back" button? I used to be able to move around with it. Now, when I use "back," I get "page expired." I have to scroll to the bottom and click on Pet Talk and then the topic catagory.

The back button work fine for me, but when I've posted, it takes me back through the window where I type in your post, as well as every other step. If you are using Netscape, you can use the "Go" menu to skip over those steps to wherever you were before ...

lbaker
01-19-2002, 10:40 AM
..oh dear oh dear :confused: "I am a simple man.." not really, just a Crosby, Stills, Nash song...and I have a simple brain :o this is all too confusing to me...I will simply continue to try to read the wonderfull things I read and not try all these tricks......I'm a woman of the 60's and just don't know if I can comprehend all of this computer lingo...please be patient with me...hello Jackie :confused: do you understand :confused: :o laurie

tatsxxx11
01-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Just a test! Tried entering the new Webshots address in one of my sig. pics...No go!!:(

AvaJoy
01-21-2002, 07:47 PM
[SIZE=1]Well, maybe this will achieve desired visuals . . .

Nope . . . I'm choosing my font, color, size, italics first, then typing message after the code . . . and using closing code . . . what am I doing wrong?? :confused: Thanks to anyone who can help! :)

[COLOR=crimson][I]I think this will work . . . I read the "directions" ;)

AvaJoy
01-21-2002, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Spencer, now I can play! :) :D :D