PDA

View Full Version : "Is Your Pet Protective?"

crow_noir
07-10-2001, 12:25 AM
i saw this and instantly knew that i had to answer. no ifs, ands, or buts.

King has protected me even before he was my dog. i showed him kindness for as long as i had known him (from a few weeks old.) well, i found out the neighbor was getting rid of him and asked if it was ok if i started comming over and playing with him more. and that led to walks. one day we were wakling and there were some boys walking and throwing stones. (he's 10 years old at this point.) we were at the corner of one block, well, his fur went standing up and he wouldn't budge. when i tried to pull him forward, he stepped in front of me and looked up. he didn't want us anywhere near those hoodlums. when they had crossed the street and were down a block King let us continue on.

then, a neighbor let his vicious 150#+ dog run around. well, before i knew how dangerous the dog was, i had tried being friendly w/ it. i was walking over to see king one day and the other dog was near his yard. so, i tried petting him. at first he was ok, but then started to pounce on me. when i tried to get him down he started to snarl and bite. i was getting scared, but thankfully i was able to reach the gate and entered King's yard. thankfully he was loose that day since he had broke his chain again. the other dog had ran to the front, where the fence is only three foot high and was about to leap it. as he was comming up over the fence King caught him by the bottom of the throat. then i found out how the other dog was getting loose when he wasn't loose on purpose. he ran to the gate and was lifting the handle and was about to push his way through when King bit his muzzle.

then we were walking King one day and were passing by the house where the other dog lives. well, they had another dog that they had just found. well, king and her liked to play, so they started to play and the other dog broke his chain and came out of the yard where it wasn't fence and grabbed King. well King wasn't fighting back and it wasn't looking good. we didn't have a leash at the time and were using rope. well, it was getting wrapped around king and my fiance, so i had to do SOMETHING. so i grabbed the other dog and kept putting on pressure until he let go. well, he turned around like a flash of lightening and bit me. i still have the scars from it. well, King saw that the other dog had me and that did it! he spun around and had the other dog by the throat. well as he did that and my fiance picked him up by the scruff of the neck and threw him. (it's amazing what adreniline can do!) we all sort of saved each other there. i know your not supposed to seperate fighting dogs, but there was no way i was letting my sweetie get hurt. (both of them actually)

now since i've had king he follows me around everywhere. he can't stand it if i'm out of sight. he likes to be no more than about 15 feet from me at any given time.
he won't fight if he doesn't have to. those are the only times he's really been agressive since i've had him.
i wouldn't trade him for the world and wish i have many more healthy years with him. it took me ten years to finally have him as my dog, but boy are we making up for lost time with each other.

Daisy's Mom
07-10-2001, 01:17 AM
Wow crow_noir, those are some great stories. King must be a wonderful dog.

Daisy has never really had the chance to protect my family... not too much happens here in the teeny town of Westminster :) But I know that she would if the chance was hers. If anyone comes into the yard or knocks on the door, she barks her little head off. It's such a big bark for a little dog. When I open the door for someone they look around for a big mean dog and are shocked when they see Daisy on the floor :) Her affection is always won over right away with a few head scritches and a treat or two. I hope that, if anyone decides to rob our house, they are not equipped with Milk Bones, or Daisy would help them carry our things outside!

crow_noir
07-10-2001, 02:22 AM
lol. my rat terrier barks and barks and barks too. except, she is the vicious one. though she has never bit anyone but me, i wouldn't put it past her. (omg! i am so proud of her. she caught her first mouse last night at six and a half years old! my parents called to tell me. they were outside. she ran after something. my dad thought it was a bug as usual, but decided to check to make sure and looked down and to his astonishment she had a mouse!) anyhoo... i really do beleive king is one of the best dogs in the world. (and alot of people tell me that, so it must be true to some extent. he he) :D
well, looks like i have to load my pockes w/ milk bones and head over to your house. (my goal is to spoil every friendly dog in the world for one day. it is an impossible task, but it's still fun trying :-)
oh! i used to live in an AWFUL neighborhood! i could go on for a few huge paragraphs about what was wrong w/ it. defintly one on the people and one on how animals are treated. well, thanks for posting. it made me happy. have a good evening/morning. :)

Daisy's Mom
07-10-2001, 10:36 AM
That sounds like a great goal! I'll help ya accomplish it ;)

crow_noir
07-11-2001, 09:56 PM
if i ever get around to any traveling i'll be sure to let everyone know. meeting dogs is always the highlight of my day. (especially going to the fireworks.), so why wouldn't it also make for a wonderful vacation?! :cool:

Pam
07-13-2001, 08:40 AM
I am afraid that my two cats and one dog would get an award for being the "least protective!" :D When someone comes to the door, Andy, my white cat, heads to the basement before even seeing who is there. Trevor, my huge orange tabby, waits to see who it is. If he doesn't know them he heads down to the basement with Andy. Bella doesn't bark but her tail starts wagging so hard that her whole rear half is moving. If she doesn't know the person she backs up as they move forward, tail moving all the time! If she does know them....watch out for lots of slobbery kisses! As you can see, there's no protecting going on here! :D

4 feline house
07-13-2001, 09:47 PM
Pam, your guys remind me of mine!

After many years of membership in one church, I have decided to join another. The pastor of the new church, J.D., came over to visit Tuesday. He was here for a couple of hours. You must know that J.D. is small in stature, very gentle and soft-spoken, and above all else for the purposes of this story, an 80 year old man. It was very hard to keep a solemn face in our talks about faith because I kept noticing the cats taking turns peeking out of the bedroom to take fearful glances at him! No, I don't think I can count on them to protect me if they are afraid of a frail old man of the cloth! Ha ha!

My old guy Zebo, long at the rainbow bridge, suffered quite a few illnesses, especially in his final years, that required may trips to the vet. He was always fine sitting on the exam table when it was just him and me in the room. But as soon as that door opened and the white coat emerged, he would literally jump, trembling, into my arms! Bless his little heart, he always counted on me to protect him!

crow_noir
07-14-2001, 12:23 AM
thank you pam and 4 feline house for sharing. you both know how to tell something in an interesting way!

Pam
07-15-2001, 09:03 AM
Leah you have me laughing out loud! I love the line about being afraid of an 80 year old man of the cloth! :D

*SimButtTwo4U*
07-15-2001, 01:34 PM
Simba is very protective. Lets list the people he has chased away:

My Brother's Girlfreid
Brother's G\F lil brother
UPS man
Pizza Man
Viet Nom Vets man
Brother's Freinds:
RJ
Mike
Scott
Dainya
Kim
Mike (another mike)
My Friends:
Courtney
Valerie
Pablo
Lee
Ryan
Jessica
Shannon
Nick

And neighbors:
Craig
Lisa
Al
John

Well now do you think hes protective?
Once the people come in and settle hes ok. But while their walking around the house he follows them making sure they dont do nothing.
Im actually proud of him.. he has scare dsome of my brother's friends away that i dont like. And tis a good thing because what if there was someone trying to hurt us?

jackiesdaisy1935
07-15-2001, 05:39 PM
In our house, when the dreaded mailman comes, and both dogs know what time that will be, Daisy takes up front position on the couch in the living room at the window and barks her head off, then she retreats and Perry picks up a toy and jumps up and shakes the "you know what" out of the toy to show the mailman he better not enter.
When we have a package the mailman knocks once on the door then runs like h..... back to his truck. The two Schnauzers have saved us one more time from the clutches of the dreaded mailman.
:D :D :D :D

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: jackiesdaisy1935 ]

K9karen
07-15-2001, 09:49 PM
LOL!!! Yep! The nasty old mailman deserves to be barked at! How dare he come to the door, leave bundles of paper stuff, esp; bills! Since Cody taught himself to put his paw thru the mail slot, they leave the mail between to door and the screen door. He swipes a them, but they're on to him!
I actually protect Cody..except in our nrighborhood, which he has marked and owns. In a strange environment, he'll hide behind me or sit between my legs, until he gets to know (smell) you better! He;s a 95 lb big galoot of muscle. How embarrassing. But I have no doubt he'd give his life for me! Afterall, who else would stick their fingers in peanut butter and in his mouth to give a pill? Or slice up the dreaded liverwurst? Nobody, but NOBODY comes bewtween Cody and the food lady! :rolleyes: :D

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: K9karen ]

crow_noir
07-16-2001, 02:23 AM
oh jeeze! do you have newbie or dog hater postal carriers!!!?

the dogs back in my old neighborhood knew what the mail man meant... T R E A T S !!!!!

what mail carrier doesn't carry and deliver treats?! (or in King's case. *take treat* *wag tail and say thankyou* *drop treat* say "thanks, but i rather have a neck scritchy")

shipugtzus
07-16-2001, 08:03 AM
Love the previous post on here concerning this subject.Nothing better than having something to read and laugh at with your morning coffee..Lols. My protective one (out of 7) is my shih tzu Patches.Any stranger comes around,he will get in front of me and stay there till the person leaves. The most protective one I ever had was a pitbull and Am Staffordshire cross.She is at Rainbow Bridge now.She was just a very good dog all the way around. I miss her lot. I lost her 3 years ago to cancer at the age of 16.That is why it really pisses me off to hear all the bad publicity about pitbulls.Anyway that is a different subject.My Patches is trying to fill her shoes though in the protective part.I also have a pug(believe it or not)that is pretty protective.Sandy

K9karen
07-16-2001, 08:38 PM
Nope, treats do NOT work. The mailman is invading Cody's territory. And Cody is doing his job, barking and going nuts and the mailman goes away! And a very, very proud Cody he is too after each episode!

crow_noir
07-17-2001, 02:27 AM
LOL!!! well anyone that comes to give pieces of paper saying you are now subject to a loss of money have to be evil don't they? or if you ever put a letter in the box and the dog seen it be taken away, that's theft right there! why should this person be trusted!?

(actually we once had a carrier that even the nice dogs in the neighborhood hated. she was a b!+ch ! and they knew it.)

K9karen
07-17-2001, 10:10 PM
Yep, they are sensitive to human behaviour and chances are, the hoomans didn't like her either! I'll bet she didn't make out very well at Xmas! We give our mail carriers extra out of embarrasment! We're afraid they'll make us open a post office box!

crow_noir
07-18-2001, 03:35 AM
lol!!!

Mila's Mommy
07-18-2001, 08:54 AM
I have never seen a protective cat until we got Mila.

If I am crying she will come running. She will cuddle up to me and lick my face. It is so sweet. :)

My husband will often start tickle fights with me. I will squel and yell at him to stop. Mila comes running and will jump into the fray as if she thinks he is hurting me and she will make him stop :D

DogFan77
07-24-2001, 11:42 AM
My dog protects my family, but he doesn't attact, he just barks.