PDA

View Full Version : Canine Good Citizen

wolfsoul
04-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I had just heard from someone who passed the CGC with her catahoula. She had only paid $10 for it at Petsmart. Is that a regular price? I had once heard that the CGC costs $50. :confused:

A Petsmart is opening here, and I'd really like for my catahoula that I'm getting next year to have his CGC, because I'd like for him to be a therapy dog.

Has anyone here taken the test? How many times did it take you to pass? Did you have fun?

Iilo
04-09-2005, 03:40 PM
The CGC testing I went to for my mix was $7. I don't know why it would be as expensive as $50, since it doesn't cost anyone much to hold it... the testers are usually volunteers and you can do it in a pretty small space. I plan on getting Rien's CGC through a free test that they have with a bunch of dog shows in the cities.

KYS
04-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Sheba received her CGC when we went to a dog camp.
(it was included in the price)
This was back in 1996 and to my amazment she passed
it on her first try.

bckrazy
04-09-2005, 07:37 PM
We paid $10 for it, and sent in $5 to the AKC for the official certificate. It was actually really easy. . . Gonzo passed the first time, so easily, and he is far from therapy dog material ;)! But, I would recommend finding a trainer that you know and trust to give the test, which we did. I know this lady with a super sweet older Golden Retriever who she wanted to be a therapy dog, and she went to a pet store for the test, and the tester was wierd and waay too strict with the dogs... she said he waved a walker at the dog and screamed and ran at him for the "distractions" part of the test, and her dog barked so they banned him from CGC testing. So, anyway, I would definitely try to find an organization that you trust to give the test. Basically, it's just simple dog etiquette, down-stays, simple commands, being decent with another dog passing, and allowing a stranger to handle him. Nothing big :) good luck with your future Catahoula!!

wolfsoul
04-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your replies! :)

Originally posted by bckrazy
We paid $10 for it, and sent in $5 to the AKC for the official certificate.
Does the trainer give you an application to send to AKC with the money, or do you just need to send them the money and explain what it is for?

Ginger's Mom
04-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Both of my girls had their CGC certificates. You mentioned PetsMart. Are you going to take your new dog to PetsMart for their obedience training? The reason I ask, is because as part of their second class (not puppy class) they give you a CGC test, and if your dog passes you get the certificate. So if you are going to sign up at PetsMart, you may not have to go anywhere else for the test.

binka_nugget
04-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I had just heard from someone who passed the CGC with her catahoula. She had only paid $10 for it at Petsmart. Is that a regular price? I had once heard that the CGC costs $50. :confused:

There's a place here that charges around 50 dollars for a couple practice sessions and then the testing.. maybe that's it?

bckrazy
04-09-2005, 07:50 PM
yep! when you pass the test, the trainer gives you the owners copy to send to the AKC, with a $5 check, and they put you in the archives and give you a nice certificate ;)

oh, and the trainer has to send in their copy for it to be valid... another reason to go to a responsible *trusted* trainer.

wolfsoul
04-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Ginger's Mom
Are you going to take your new dog to PetsMart for their obedience training? The reason I ask, is because as part of their second class (not puppy class) they give you a CGC test, and if your dog passes you get the certificate. So if you are going to sign up at PetsMart, you may not have to go anywhere else for the test.
I'm not going to Petsmart for obedience training -- I'm going with this really great obedience school here, called JackPine Country Kennel. :) I guess I'll just have to do them seperatly.

There's a place here that charges around 50 dollars for a couple practice sessions and then the testing.. maybe that's it?
The person on the catahoula board said that she paid $10 for both one practice test and the real test. :confused:

Ashley, if you lived in Kelowna, you could be my obedience trainer. But ooooh noooo....:mad: :p

IRescue452
04-09-2005, 08:09 PM
At my dog club it is $30.

Cincy'sMom
04-09-2005, 08:37 PM
We took a therpay dog class, that was $80 for a 6 week course. At the end, the dogs were tested for CGC/TDI, and the fee for the test was $5, but it was covered in our course cost. If you were "retesting", without taking the course it was just the $5.

All of ours past the first time.

LeahMM
04-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Update! Petsmart pulled the CGC program because they dont want to pay the $20.00 per certified tester fee. I just found out about that today when my Petsmart trainer told me, she is certified. We had our first 2 dogs done there, now we have to find some place else to have it done. What a bunch of corporate blow jobs those people are.:(