PDA

View Full Version : DOES YOUR PET RESPOND TO HIS-HER NAME?

jackiesdaisy1935
07-02-2001, 05:19 PM
We have two dogs who are extremely opposite.
If you look at Perry he will come to you and expect you to hug him, love him and scratch him for a very long time. You don't even have to call his name.
Now Daisy on the other hand, ignores you. If you call her, she may just as well look at you then turn her head and walk the other way. She will only come to you if she feels like it and I have tried the leash thing, snacks etc. Daisy does not know what the word obedience means. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pam
07-02-2001, 05:42 PM
Bella comes immediately when you call her and when you don't even call her! :D As far as the cats go, Andy has been known to run to me when I call him name, even bounding up to me from the basement, meowing all the way. Trevor, on the other hand, might look up at me when I call his name. I call that a positive reaction for him! :D

AdoreMyDogs
07-03-2001, 08:30 AM
Graham is extremely obedient and well behaved. He will often come to me when I look at him, otherwise he will drop whatever he is doing to come to me imediately if I call his name. He's a real good boy. Cassie usually comes, but she sometimes does not simply because she does not want to. She if very stubborn. She knows what we are saying when we tell her to come here, but whether or not she will come is entirely her call.

Ritz, my moms new shih tzu, is quite amazing for a companion dog. He knew his name in only a day, and I have been working on recals every day and he knows "Ritz Come" and he charges to me when I give him that command! His stubborn side is showing but he seems to come whenever he is called (sofar) :)

thelmalu99
07-03-2001, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure if Charlie even knows his name, because I have so many nicknames for him that I use on a daily basis! :)
I think what he responds to is the intonation I use when I talk to him. Sometimes he will run right up to me when I talk to him, and other times (usually) he will look at me and even acknowledge that I am talking to him by meowing, but will not come over. It all depends on his mood. :rolleyes:

ilovehounds
07-03-2001, 01:26 PM
I have hound dogs so I can relate :D

Hannah will come right away when you call her IF she is not sniffing something out, if she is you must call her in that NOW tone by calling "Hannah Marie Simpson" kinda like your mom use to do, you knew when she called you by your full name you were in trouble :D the treat thing also works well.

Copper on the other hand is like "Copper" and he won't even look at you so I say "Copper John Simpson" and he looks but only comes if he feels like it. The treat thing works okey for him aswell.

Oh and ya I have middle names for my dogs :) I thought it was cute. Does anyone else out there give thier dogs middle names or am I just weird :o

4 feline house
07-03-2001, 01:30 PM
I have never had a cat that didn't respond when called or spoken too by name. Sometimes, like Trevor, "respond" may simply mean a grumpy twitching of the ears, but usually it means coming to me, meowing in response, turning on a motor or some other positive response.

Daisy's Mom
07-04-2001, 01:18 AM
Daisy responds to her name and will come when called, IF she is not doing something else :) But I'd say 85% of the time she comes, which is good for a hound!

ilovehounds, Daisy has a middle name! She's my little Daisy Mae :)

Edwina's Secretary
07-05-2001, 02:01 PM
If I speak to Edwina while she is sleeping, even if I don't use her name, she seems to know and twitches her tail. If I speak to my husband while she is sleeping on one of our laps she doesn't respond so it must be something in the tone!

ilovehounds
07-06-2001, 11:20 AM
Daisy Mae :) that is so cute.

thelmalu99
07-10-2001, 01:07 PM
Charlie had company this weekend, LOL.
His first human mom, who now lives in Oregon was in town and came by to see him. Anyway, she told me that when it was mealtime, she would call the cats by saying "here kitty, kitty, kitty!". I guess he remembered, because when she said that, he came running! It was so cute, so I started calling him like that and he comes FLYING and just looks up at me like, so, where is it??

RachelJ
07-10-2001, 03:09 PM
Both my dogs "know their names", but that is not exactly the same as "coming when called". Tucker will come 90% of the time, Hannah has to first evaluate is there anything else she would rather be doing and what's in it for her and just how important to her at that particular time is "what's in it for her". I have been training her to "come" using all the techniques known to mankind, yet one never knows whether she is going to respond.

Let me try it right now. Wow she came.

jackiesdaisy1935
07-10-2001, 04:56 PM
Rachel, you are doing better than I am with Daisy. Like a crazy person, I say Daisy, please, please, please come to Nana. Then I say get your butt up and come. She lifts her ears and opens her eyes then goes back to sleep. Her Dad calls her and she runs over to him. I guess she feels the pecking order in our house is Dad, Perry, Daisy and me. :D