PDA

View Full Version : Happy made me proud today lol

cali
04-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I took Happy and Misty to their usual friends place(around the cornor a bunch of kids live there)and the girls "sorta cousin" was there a little 3 or 4 year old named Eegan, who obviously had NO clue how to behave around dogs lol and Happy for a Border Collie that used to be terrified of young kids and would try to ludge and snap at any she saw, was suprisingly good, that annoying brat threw a fit when she did not get what she wanted and when she wanted it, she would start stomping and screaming :rolleyes: then she would start grabing at Happy and yanking her tail(obviously I made her stop, and obviously she threw a fit lol) but Happy not once even got slightly upset with Eegan then before we left(which Happy was VERY glad to do) the brat grabed Happys bandana and started dragging her around :confused: Happy followed but when I made the girl stop and called Happy over to go home Happy was VERY happy to leave, and normally I practicly have to drag her away lol the other thing that made me proud was that when the ball rolled onto the road she stayed on the sidewalk everytime, the one time she ran to fast after the ball and ended up on the road she imedietly ignored the ball, turned around and layed on the sidewalk till Spring went and got the ball(I was supervising Eegan with Misty) and the other times the ball rolled onto the road she halted at the edge of the sidewalk, one of these times that imediate down stay probably save her life as a car came by while the ball was on the other side of the road, not once did she even think about getting up from that downstay, I was VERY impressed :D

Karen
04-08-2005, 07:13 PM
What a good dog! Give her a bellyrub from me. She has come a long way. Now that little giorl needs some training, too! But NOT chasing the ball into the street is amazing and to be highly commended. GOOD GIRL Happy!

jennifert9
04-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Congratulations to you AND Happy! You have obviously done a fantastic job training Happy. Sounds like she lives up to her name and is so "Happy" with you as her leader. Quite a feat, that "Down-Stay" command, I'm impressed! Keep up the good work!!!

Oggyflute
04-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Well done Happy. She's one smart pup.

bckrazy
04-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Happy sounds like a very nice girl! I know my BC would freak out in that situation, crazy kids scare him ^_^ they scare me too.

Even though it's nice that she "knows" not to go into the road, you have no idea how many BC's who have been trained to "know" not to chase cars or run in the road have been hit and killed by them. Not only BC's, every breed out there. No matter what, to me, there could always be a moment that the most well-trained dog cannot physically resist their own instinct. And, to me, nothing is worth risking my dog's life. . . especially just the unpleasantry of having my dog on a leash and finding fenced-in areas to exercise him. Honestly, BC's are the last breed of dog to be trusted around cars and not to run into streets, ESPECIALLY when there's a ball involved! You should really consider doing what is truly best for Happy and leashing her. I don't want to annoy you, but I do say this to everyone that I see walking their dogs off-leash near roads. When I was 6 years old, I remember seeing TWO off-leash GSD's, jogging with their owner, run across the street (after a cat, or something) and both were hit by the car in front of us. I will never forget the horror of that (the owner was crying), and so many people I've met who have had a similar experience and hate themselves for it. Just IMHO :p

LKPike
04-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Happy followed but when I made the girl stop and called Happy over to go home Happy was VERY happy to leave.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: which is why our home is a no-child zone! ;)

Frankie freaks out at children, I can't blame him though his first 4 years he spent with a couple who got pregnant almost immediatly after buying him. Their little boy wasnt very well-behaved, Frankie was obviously mistreated as he hates little things like tugging on his fur, going near his butt, he use to flinch alot too :rolleyes: so if he wants to bark at the neighbors kids all day from behind the fence, I don't care! :p as long as he gets all his "abusive-child-agression" out, in the yard, and not in public!