PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday was a nightmare vet day, and it's not over yet!

kimlovescats
04-08-2005, 01:14 PM
To start with, I had an appointment at the vet for Tabitha ... regarding her chronic eye infection, and for new blind girl Abby, just to see what the needs (if any) were for her eyes. I also had a scheduled appointment for my vet to come out to my house to give rabies vaccinations to 10 cats. :eek:

Ok, first Abby: She has no eye at all in one socket and only a very teeny tiny undeveloped one on the other side. So, Dr. Lavalley said that nothing seemed to be irritated or rubbing, so no need to do anything at this point. At this point I am happy ... little did I know!:rolleyes: Abby gets her rabies shot and is good to go.

Next: Tabitha's eye is examined, there are ulcers typical of chronic herpes virus. First thing my vet asks is "has she been tested". Heck yeah, by YOU, long time ago! Then to my dread, she says, "how old was she"? Arrrg, she was a tiny one .... thought I was being proactive, like they always suggest, right? *sigh* Seeing my fear mounting rapidly, she says well let's just try another antibiotic .... HELLO????? Do you expect me to wonder now? I think NOT! Let's do the darned test again and NOW! :confused: As you can imagine, it was the longest 10 minute wait of my life. Thank GOD it was NEGATIVE AGAIN! :)
So, Tabitha got a different antibiotic eye ointment, and some Immune System pills to take 2x daily. She was already current on all her shots including rabies. *sigh*

OK ... so now "all that's left" is the house call to vaccine 9 more kitties (after Abby). Well, of course I mentioned that pound rescue Baxter has the URI, so his shot has to wait. So, now only 8 to do. :rolleyes:

Dr. LaValley was amazed to be greeted at my door by my 3 doggies and about 11 kitties at the time. :eek: She even commented on how impressed that I could have so many pets and still have a 'nice' home! LOL! If only she knew!:p

Well, the gathering and scruffing of 8 kitties was wild to say the least, but Smokey Pokey took the cake! NO, that was the flesh off my hand and arm!!!:eek: After a painful trip to the bathroom, Jerry, Doc and I burrito wrapped him at least 2 other times. Finally he just gave up and laid perfectly still. Now why couldn't he have just done that the first time?:rolleyes: ;)

Finally all kittie were vaccinated and Dr. LaValley left ... all is well ... right? WRONG! (next post)>>>>

kimlovescats
04-08-2005, 01:22 PM
About an hour after Dr. L left, I noticed that Grace was vomiting. No big deal for her as she always has hairballs. Well, she continued wretching and vomiting, and then she started panting from the mouth! Trying not to panic, and spent even more money at the ER vet, I watched her closely. I knew I had some epinephrine injectable in the fridge, but wasn't sure of the dosing, and was really scared to actually use the stuff. :rolleyes:
Next thing I could think of was Benadryl liquid ... I always keep that on hand! So, I squirted some in Grace's mouth and I think she got it down fairly well. I monitored her closely in a kennel and it seemed to calm her and she was breathing normally again. I continued to watch her, and look online for helpful information. Well, to add pain to misery, my ISP was down! For HOURS!!! :mad: :rolleyes: Of course, my vet was unavailable as well, so I played it cautiously by ear all night.

Grace got out of her carrier and walked around and followed me upstairs to work on Amanda's room cleaning for her party tonight. She seemed fairly "ok" but she threw up again twice, once under each bed!:rolleyes: I decided that she just had to stay in a carrier while she was still vomiting. I put her in my bedroom and continued cleaning upstairs. When I went back down to check on her around 6:30 a.m., there was a bad odor. She had vomited up with blood in it!:( :( :( I was terribly concerned by now, and knew my vet would be in the office in about an hour or so.

Soooo, needless to say, my Grace is at the vet, on fluids and possible IV antibiotics. I just called and they said she was tolerating the fluids, no vomiting. I am supposed to check back at 4:00 and see if she can come home tonight! PLEASE pray for my Grace, she is my Alpha Kitty .... the first one we got out of all the rescues we've taken in over the past 5 years. If anything happens to her, especially over a STUPID rabies shot, I will be crushed beyond belief. :( :(

Worried Mom Kim

Lacey
04-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Oh my! That is a rough vet day! Prayers for sweet Grace!

jenluckenbach
04-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Prayers for Gracie. But good news for (most) of the rest.

nibblets
04-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Poor Grace :( ...I'm praying that she is better right away.

catmandu
04-08-2005, 02:20 PM
What a terrible day,you are having.And know,that Prayers are on thier way,for Grace,and Tabitha,and that we are sending a Few Found Cat Angels,over,Tiger Angel,and Orangey Angel.to help out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos955.jpg

RobiLee
04-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Prayers for Gracie.

Wow, that was some day with the vet. Whew!

Robin

christa
04-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Goodness Kim! You sure can't do anything without some excitement, can you? *insert sarcasm* ;) ;) ;)

Poor Grace . . . sounds like she's having a rough time . . . That's what PT Prayers are for!!!

Keep us updated on how she is! I hope that this isn't serious! Or at least no more than a bad reaction to the shot.

Laura's Babies
04-08-2005, 04:42 PM
OH GOSH Kim!! I had to go away and calm down before posting to this. GOD Girl, you seem to keep having it dumped on you.. Poor Grace, can rabies shots do that to some of them??? REALLY? Can it? I have never heard this so that is why I am asking... I HATE having to get my babies updated on shots and if now I have to worry about this added to how they act sometimes.... PHEW!!

Good news on Tabitha and lets keep all fingers and paws crossed that this new med works!

Sounds like good news on Abby too.

Now prayers are on their way for Grace. Be sure you keep us posted on her as soon as you hear something..

catnapper
04-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Oh Kim... I am speechless! Its now almost 6:00 here -- have you heard about her? What a terrible, frustrating day. Many prayers coming over, especially for Grace, and then lots of little ones coming over for Tabitha and Abby.

ladywizz
04-08-2005, 04:55 PM
and i thought my vet bills were bad!
god bless ,and thoughts are with you.

K & L
04-08-2005, 05:08 PM
That's terrible. Do they think the shot causes all of this? Have you heard anything?

kimlovescats
04-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Thank GOD, my Grace is home and seems perfectly fine! Not much of an appetite yet, but do ya blame her?:rolleyes: Dr. LaValley said the blood was just irritation from all of the vomiting ... she didn't vomit even once all day at the vet. She just gave that all to meowmmy at home!;) They gave her fluids, to perk her back up, and you'd never know what she had been through, but I tell ya, the gray hairs are quickly creeping through this nasty orange glow I recently added! :eek: ;)

Thank you for the prayers, no more rabies shots for Grace or my doxie Gretta. She recently had a really bad reaction only minutes after getting her rabies shot ... thank the Lord we were still at the vets. I hate these darn shots, and the ONLY reason I get them is to keep Rabies Control from raiding my home!!!:mad: :(

Cataholic
04-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Wow. That is about all I can. Thank God it is all over.

rg_girlca
04-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Oh Kim, I am so sorry you had such a stressfull day. (((((HUGS)))))

I hope and pray that the new medication will finally clear up precious Tabitha's eye condition and I am so glad to hear that Grace is doing much better. Poor baby.

Just one question. Even though your cats are indoor, they still have to get a rabie shot if you live in the U.S.?

shais_mom
04-09-2005, 12:22 AM
wow Kim wayyyy to much excitement!!
yikes!
:eek:

thoughts and prayers on the way

Laura's Babies
04-09-2005, 08:59 AM
I am horrified that a shot that is suppose to keep them well can make them so sick! If my babies were home all 365 of the year, I wouldn't get ANY of them their shots anymore. I am glad she is back home and doing better and lets hope this is the end of all your problems and things settle down now (all the way around). You have had enough dumped on you for awhile and you deserve so good things to come your way!!

QueenScoopalot
04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Oh my Kim! What a horrid day you had, but I'm happy things are quieting down again. I've never heard of a rabies shot causing such reactions before. In combination with other shots, yes, but never just rabies. :eek: I don't blame you for not doing them again for Grace & Gretta. ;) Kisses for Tabitha, and sure hope the new meds help her this time around.

Barbara
04-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Kim that sounds more than horrible. All the best for you and all the kitties, especially Grace:)

kimlovescats
04-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca

Just one question. Even though your cats are indoor, they still have to get a rabie shot if you live in the U.S.?

Yes .... Tennessee requires it because our high number of rabid skunks!:rolleyes: Whenever anyone adopts from our county shelter, the first thing they do is verify rabies vaccinations on EVERY pet you have (mention ... lol)!:eek: ;) If I were ever raided by the pound (with a search warrant, of course) they would be able to come into my home and check for current rabies shots / registrations. Any cat or dog that was not current could be hauled away!:mad: :(

persianmom
04-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Kim
I'm glad to hear that all has turned out well. I didn't know that they could have reaction to shots. I don't know why. It would only make sence. God Bless you for all you do.
Love ya
Carol

ChrisH
04-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Oh, Kim, what a nightmare indeed! {{big hugs}}

Kirsten
04-09-2005, 03:58 PM
How awful, what a horrible day you and poor Grace had!

I'm relieved to read she's feeling better now.

Kirsten

Craftlady
04-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Kentucky does 1 yr rabbies for first time and there after every 3 yrs. Vet's in our immediate area they do it yearly even if they are indoors only. They say south of us has rabies problems.
Our vet does it 1 yr and 3 yrs.

krazyaboutkatz
04-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Kim, I'm just now reading your thread. What a terrible day you must have had.:( I'm so glad that Grace is going to be fine. I also hope that the new antibiotics will help Tabitha's eye problems. Please take care.{{{HUGS}}}

kimlovescats
04-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks so much for all the concerns, and well wishes .... Grace is doing great today!:D

Our rabies shots are good for 3 years, as per the vets ... but our state law requires them yearly! NO MORE for MY babies! They will have to drag me out of my house, to get me to give them to my babies anymore. Two close calls, is two too many!!!:rolleyes: ;)

Craftlady
04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
My vet dates the tags either yearly or for 3 years.

kimlovescats
04-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Craftlady
My vet dates the tags either yearly or for 3 years.

Interesting.... our tags have the year already engraved on them ... you have to look at the registration certificate to see the specific month of the year when the pet is due again. So you are saying it is up to the vet to pick when they are due again? That would be a great option. Wish we had that here.:rolleyes:

catcrazylady
04-10-2005, 08:22 AM
OK, I'm totally exhausted from reading about your day!:eek:

I'm so glad that everyone has turned out to be ok. *shew* what a day!

I'm glad to hear that Abby's eyes are ok and here are lots of prayers that Tabitha gets well real soon. Poor baby.:(

Craftlady
04-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Interesting.... our tags have the year already engraved on them ... you have to look at the registration certificate to see the specific month of the year when the pet is due again. So you are saying it is up to the vet to pick when they are due again? That would be a great option. Wish we had that here.

Our old vet ingraved them right there at the office put their names on the front of the tag. Current vet just dates doesnt put names on the tags.

sirrahbed
04-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I had no idea that vaccinations could make kitties so sick:o Thankfully, our county does NOT require rabies for kitties.

Sorry that you had such a scary and bad day!:(

Is it over NOW??:)

Vermontcat
04-10-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad day yesterday.
I hope that today is a much better day for you and your sweet kitties.
:)