PDA

View Full Version : Feelin' so down!

Suki Wingy
04-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Looking at your wonderfull kitties! I'm so allergic to them, and have to take medicine a lot arround them not to break out in hives and get really scratchy eyes and a cloged up nose, throat stuff, etc, etc.
Does anyone know any good medicines that won't make me too drowsy or dizzy? Persctription or non, I could always probably get my allergist to perscribe me something. Right now I take Rx Clarinex, and that seems to work, although my eyes still get a bit sore. Has anyone ever heard of growing ammune to cat dandriff? Many of my close relatives have cats that I visit often, but someday I'd like to have a kitty of my own!
Oh, and also, I lived fine with cats my whole life w/o symptoms until my stepdad's 23 year old cat was PTS about 5 years ago. That is when I developed the allergy.:(

Uabassoon
04-07-2005, 11:14 PM
A lot of people develp a tolerance over time. I used to have pretty bad allergies but now I'm much better. I used to take Zyrtec and it worked wonders, but now I'm so used to the cats that I don't need it anymore. Every once in a while I'll have a bad day and I'll take a benadryl.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-08-2005, 04:21 AM
I'm so sorry for you....! It must be terrible to be allergic to cats!! I couldn't live without them!
My son was allergic when he was a kid. He had to take "ZYRTEC". He outgrow his allergies. I don''t know if that medicine exists in the USA??

carole
04-08-2005, 05:13 AM
The good news is you DO NOT have to live your life in misery with out furbabies of the kitty kind, I can vouch for that, I am a very good example.

My story is that I had cats all my life as a child, having grown up on a farm, and just after my first child was born , I suddenly became very allergic to kitties, sadly I never owned another kitty for over 18 years ,until Ash a stray came along and my then young daughter of 6 years begged me to keep him, I relented and he became our's, at first he was mostly outdoor with a shelter we built for him, but slowly I entered him to our inside world, and that is how it stayed, he now sleeps here, there and everywhere.

Then a long came my RB Sooti, who's owner went to prison and left him and another kitten being fed but out in the cold, we took them both in, got an excellent home for one and kept Sooti, and of course I had no hesitation in adopting my Lexie.

What I can tell you is I have desensitised myself by actually putting myself in amongst them, I used to have problems if I even entered my mother's home with her cat not even being in the room, I still have the allergy, but my tolerance level is great in comparison to what it used to be, I still have to take Loratide a non-sedating antihistimine from time to time, but often it is more from dust mites and pollens than the cats, I just have to be careful not to touch them and then my eyes, but I kiss and cuddle them and Lexie sleeps on our bed everynight, probably not the best of ideas, but I have not the heart to put her out.

I hope this story, long as it is, will encourage you in time to take the plunge and maybe get a kitty oneday, there are injections you can have as well, which I have never bothered with ,but they may be of help.

So all in all it is not completely hopeless,infact quite a few of PT members are allergic to kitty's and have them, I just wished I had known this sooner myself, I missed all that joy for 18 years of my life, think of the kitties I could have loved and loved me back, still I am making up for it now. cheers.:)

neko1
04-08-2005, 05:40 AM
I am allergic to my cats too. I take Zyrtec and that helps a lot.

catnapper
04-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Talk about a timely question! I am going to the doctor on Monday to see what I can do about my allergies. They've gone haywire already this year... I'll let you know what they prescribe! :)

catmandu
04-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Have you,thought,of The Devon Rex,or Spyhx Cats,that have very,short fur,and are great,for people,that have Cat Allergies!And I can tell,you,from boarding ,that they are very good,warm Cats,that are a lot,of fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos520.jpg

Laura's Babies
04-08-2005, 09:24 AM
I am a Allergy Queen! Allergic to so many things but THANK GOD, cats are not one of the things that set me off. My nephew was horriably allergic to cats as a child but as a adult, he is now able to have his own cats..

I have been on a lot of different meds for my allergies, right now Zyrtec and Flonase and the combo of both help a lot. I hardly have to take it when I am at home but when I am at work on the boat I have to stay on the stuff the whole time... If we have grain in our tow, my allregies go NUTS!

Palomino21
04-08-2005, 10:00 AM
What about getting an air purifier that helps with cat dandruff? I am not allergic but I did get a purifier to help with the litter box odors (this does wonders) and on some of them it even helps with dander. I do not know how severe you allergies are but I feel for you.

sirrahbed
04-08-2005, 11:19 AM
At the risk of sounding like a Zyrtec commercial....my best friend also uses this and is then able to have her dogs:D

Also - allergies can grow weaker over time at exposure so do you suppose you could make sure there are no carpets, few drapes, etc and vacumn like crazy, damp mop - LOTS of handwashing then expose yourself to somebody else's kitty to see how you do??

I have mild allergies - mostly to my long haired Dylan. If I would keep my face out of his fur, I would not have the runny eyes and itchy roof-of-the-mouth!! But, I do it anyway. :p

Otherwise - just keep reading Cat General and virtually adopt a few here for now:rolleyes:

(((((HUGS))))

Suki Wingy
04-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone! My parents don't want any more animals now:( But my allergies have been really bothering me latley, and when I go into the cat adoption room in PetSmart, I come out feeling miserable. I hope to get a cat of my own someday, as I said, so thanks for replying everyone!

My dad had a Cornish rex about 16 years ago and he still talks about him all the time!