PDA

View Full Version : indoor or outdoor pet???

ILOVECINDER
10-31-2001, 10:42 PM
does your cat/dog/pet like to stay inside the house or outside???

-CINDER RULES!-

aly
10-31-2001, 11:41 PM
All 3 of mine are indoor only babies. The dogs like to go for walks, but would NEVER want to go outside without me. Its a good thing too since I don't have a yard!

Logan
11-01-2001, 07:10 AM
I have four in and out pets. Both dogs enjoy being in the fenced yard during the day, especially Honey. Lilly can't stand to be anywhere that I am not :confused: Does that make sense?

Mimi and Butter, being adult cats, made up their minds a long time ago that they need a little stretch time outside. But the colder it gets, the more they prefer to be in the warm house! :D

Former User
11-01-2001, 08:49 AM
Indoor cats only, we live in an apartment, they don't even have a change to go out, and even if would have, we'd keep them in anyway.

cr7clark
11-01-2001, 09:04 AM
Bo is strictly indoor, she shows no desire to venture outside even when we leave the door open. Last winter we had major renovations done on our kitchen and bathroom and she had plenty of opportunity to dash outside if she wanted to, but noooo, she stayed downstairs and out of the way, like a good little girl. :)

PJ's Mom
11-01-2001, 09:07 AM
We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. The dogs, (PJ and Bailey) are inside dogs, unless there's a squirrel on the fence out back. ;)

One of the cats, (Pumpkin) stays outside most of the time, while our newest addition, a gray kitten named Barclay) is not allowed to go outside at all. :)

Stenograsaurus
11-01-2001, 09:22 AM
I have two dogs and two cats. The cats only venture outside when they sneak out. Once they get out, they are so scared. My one dog Patience, the Shepherd mix, loves to be close to people. My other dog, Dakota, the Husky, loves to be outside. If I go outside, he'll let me pet him but as soon as I reach towards his collar to let him in, he'll turn around and run!! I guess the house is too hot for him.

Dixieland Dancer
11-01-2001, 09:49 AM
Dixie and Dusty go out to potty and lay in the sun or play frisbee or catch while I'm with them. Other wise they are in the house. Our cat, Marty sneaks out occassionally just to chase a squirrle or chipmunk but he never leaves our yard. He knows a good thing when he sees it since we rescued him from an abusive situation.

Maresche
11-01-2001, 11:45 AM
All three of our kitty-girls are indoor only. Misao and Hana are terrified of the "outside" and will only go if in their cat carrier. Terra is the adventurous one and will take off through an open door at every opportunity, but once she's there she freezes. She's so scared she can't move. So they stay inside.

catwoman
11-01-2001, 01:24 PM
What?!! Go outside?

NEVER! The VET lives out there ... :eek:

Thelma & Weezie

aly
11-01-2001, 01:49 PM
Hey! The PJ family is back! Welcome back!!!!! I missed you guys!

thelmalu99
11-01-2001, 01:59 PM
Indoor kitties. :) :)

jackiesdaisy1935
11-01-2001, 04:23 PM
Oh my gosh, Daisy and Perry are in just about all the time. Perry cries if he has to go outside. They just go out to do their business and that's about it.
Jackie

kobieeli
11-02-2001, 11:21 AM
Geez, I had no idea there were so many cat owners who actually keep their cats INSIDE instead of letting them roam (collarless) around neighborhoods all day and night! I wish I lived where you all live so I wouldn't see cat poop in the front yard, cats sleeping on my car, underfed kittens mewing at my door, and the too-common flat cat in the middle of the street. It saddens me that the cat "owners" in my area seem to think cats are wild and can fend for themselves in busy suburban areas. Argh!

But I digress. Kobie and Eli have a doggie door, and man do they use it! They're in and out all the time, although at night they always sleep with us. Outdoors is where the birds, grass, frisbees, and interesting smells are; indoors is where Animal Planet and the comfy places to lie down are! :D

(Oh, another thought: I used to think my grandma was a little loony because she's always had harnesses and long tie-out leads for her cats, so they can spend time in the yard on nice days without running away. Now I think she's a genius and a saint! Anyone else do this?)

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: kobieeli ]

wolflady
11-02-2001, 11:31 AM
kobieeli, I know what you mean!! My Marius and Scooter are strictly indoors only!! They're spoiled and don't seem to mind at all. In fact, they seem afraid of the outdoors. They like to sit at the backdoor screen and look out, but that's about as far as it goes normally. Of course, when I get a dog, it will obviously be a housepet, but she/he will have to go outside for potty and exercise and all of that good stuff! :D

purrley
11-02-2001, 11:45 AM
3 of my 4 cats are strictly indoors. Panda Bear (my semi-feral cat) is becoming more and more indoors, especially now its getting cold - she spent all last winter outdoors so I'm sure she's happy as a lark being inside now. She doesn't bolt for the door near as often as she did. She's turned into such a loveable doll so she enjoys all the loves she gets from me. The other 3 have never been outdoors and seem really afraid of the outside.

RachelJ
11-02-2001, 02:31 PM
When we got our back yard fenced in, I thought my dogs would enjoy spending a little time outdoors, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Despite the fact that they have each other for company, they don't want to stay out for more than 5 minutes at a time. Although if conditions are ideal, occasionally they can last for 15. Now when it is time to play, and I go out with them, they have a grand time and enjoy the out of doors immensely. They would stay out for hours if I were with them.

Edwina's Secretary
11-02-2001, 03:05 PM
Edwina is allowed into the fenced (six foot) backyard only with her harness and leash and with adult supervision. Although she loves to go out we have found that she has absolutely NO interest in being outside the fence -- in fact she shakes and cries. She will ask to go into the house when she has had enough fresh air. If I tell her it is time and pick up her leash she will walk to the door with me.

(BTW, the purpose of the leash is to be able to find her when she hides in the bushes or to stop her when she decides to chase a bird. It trails behind a bit like a train on a ball gown!)

Corinna
11-02-2001, 03:27 PM
Glad also to see PJ's mom back missed you too.Winky the old cat spends summer days out winter just long enough to do his biz ,(arthrites had hit him)Ebby (midnight) stays in. Merlin on the other hand only to do his biz in the summer, But winter let me out till I'm and ice cube(weird dog)He is on a run line as we have no fence yet (this spring I hope) has a 25ft lead on a 50 ft teather between trees.

crow_noir
11-06-2001, 01:59 AM
King likes being inside and outside. but what he really wants is to be at my side, so he spends most of his time indoors. but i think a lot of that has to do w/ spending ten years of his life on a chain. sometimes we're outside playing and he'll ask to come in. but if being outside consists of a leash and leaving the yard, he loves being outside.

Pam
11-18-2001, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catwoman:
[QB]What?!! Go outside?

NEVER! The VET lives out there ... :eek:

:D :D :D My cats' thoughts exactly! :D

My dog, Bella, would go out 1,000,000 times a day if I would let her. I know a lot of it is just regular "doggy exploring" to see what new smells are out there since her last trip outside. She also loves trying to catch the occasional rabbit, squirrel or bird. Sometimes she goes out just to plop down and sun herself. Often as she is standing by the door for the umpteenth time we have to say to her "but Bella you were just out!" :)

jackiesdaisy1935
11-19-2001, 10:58 AM
test
http://communities.msn.com/fortheloveofdogs

*LabLoverKEB*
11-19-2001, 11:30 PM
Sadie is pretty much an inside doggy!!! ;)

Sarah & Sadie*

Ollie
11-25-2001, 10:02 PM
My pets are all outside kind.
5 horses, 1 burro, 1 llama, 5 fainting goats
5 sheep, 3 cows,100's of chickens,& guineas
3 geese, and about 25 peacocks.
What a mess if they weren't!!
Ps. also 2 dogs and 6 fat barn cats.
I love them all

Ollie

uhamp
11-27-2001, 10:25 AM
We let the Pixelcat go outside when we lived on a quiet street and had a yard. Our apartment was very small and poorly ventilated, so having a catbox, no matter how often we cleaned it, didn't work out too well. :eek:

Then we moved to a bigger place on a busy street, and The Pix became an indoor-only cat. (Sorry, buddy!) He adjusted very well. We've since moved again to another place where it would be inappropriate to let him outdoors, but we have some great windows for him to look out of, so he's happy.

And the bunny always stays in, of course. She likes the carpet! :cool:

SimbaTWonderDog
11-27-2001, 11:16 PM
Simba like being inside on the lazy boy, or on our beds.. but he LOVES laying in that Florida sun outside! Everything from chaseing lizzards, sticking your nose threw the hole in the fence and saying hi to neighbors, to rolling around in your own poop and digging holes to find bugs such as big fat nasty grubs that you chew up and show to mommy to freak her out!!! SOOoOOoOoooOOo Much fun! :rolleyes:
Hes a Florida boy.... me and my mom tease that is why he is soooo tan cause hes always out back laying in the sun! ;)

C.C.'s Mom
12-07-2001, 09:19 AM
My 2 cats go out during daytime, come in in the late afternoon and than they sleep on the beds, heaters or laps. They know this is the rule until early morning when they back door goes open again. My male cat was living on the streets for a long time and he likes to be outside, but stays around all day in case I call him. He comes within 2 seconds. The girl is very independant and comes when it suits her. There are a few other cats walking around here, and it's nice that they can spend time in the wintersun on the roofs, lay under the trees in the summer, and generally enjoy a wonderful catlife.

My dog is where I am; we go for walks together or to the dog play field. She's not allowed in the garden without supervision because we're not too happy about her views or gardening (digging & pulling out plants).

Daisylover
12-21-2001, 10:08 AM
I have 5 INDOOR house bunnies. They might get to go outside 3 times a year under strict supervision and only then in a pen. There are just too many predators...kids, dogs, hawks... Occasionally I feel guilty about it but the secret with bunnies is that the more attention you give them, the more they turn into these really great friends. Bunnies kept in barns or outside cages don't get near enough attention and don't really develop their personalities or turn into loving companions. There are a few exceptions. I also volunteer at a rabbit sanctuary and some of the bunnies crave human companionship but most are leery. Buns can be litter-box trained and can also be destructive so it's vital to bunny-proof their living area but it is well worth it. They are truly great companions.