PDA

View Full Version : found dog add/should I reply?

sirrahved
04-07-2005, 02:46 AM
Howdy people!

Yesterday/today (depending on your point of view!) I was in for my weekly volunteering at AC&C. I had some time with a very cool dog, a red one that howled like a hound, had longish hair that crimped behind the ears, and was about 40-50 lbs. We had it listed as a retriever/GSD mix, but it was picked up as a stray, so who knows, right?

ANYHOW...

I just happened to look at the classifieds from the Sunday paper after I got home and saw a lost dog ad for a Chow/GSD. This seemed more likely a combination for the size of the dog. I'm thinking about calling these people, but I don't know how to explain the situation/dog without sounding like a complete weirdo. I know if anyone even THOUGHT they saw an animal that remotely matched my description in a lost & found ad that I'd want to hear from them!

So, please help me figure out what I am going to say when I call these people. Also, do other dogs besides retrievers get the crimped hair behind their ears?

I realize this post is totally incoherent, but I woke up and couldn't stop thinking about it. Please help ease my mind!

Kater
04-07-2005, 03:02 AM
I used to volunteer at the receiving desk at our Humane Society. One thing I have learned is that everyone sees dogs differently! LOL! We always encourage anyone who has lost a dog to check the shelter or have someone who knows their dog come down at least every other day.
Just tell them that there is a dog at the shelter that might be their Chow/GSD mix, but only they would know for sure. Give them the shelter address and even the dog's ID number at the shelter if you know it. I think they would be tremendously grateful for the heads up!!! If they are not, you tried your best and certainly have my respect and admiration for trying. :)
I don't know about the crimped hair, but with mixes I think anything goes!
GOOD LUCK! Reuniting a dog with its guardian is one of the best feelings ever! :)

binka_nugget
04-07-2005, 03:13 AM
I was gonna say the same thing Kater. :) Give it a shot. If it's their dog, they'd be thrilled. If it isn't, then it's okay.. at least you tried.

About the crimped hair, I've seen a lot of Shelties (including both of mine) with crimped hair. Not sure about the other breeds that have it though.

anna_66
04-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I'd definately give them a call, sure wouldn't hurt!

And as for the crimped hair Huney has that behind her ears...could be their dog!

lv4dogs
04-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I'd say call em'. I do it all the time.
You got some great advice.

Ginger's Mom
04-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Good for you for being so on the ball :). I hope you do give them a call. I think they would appreciate the call whether it is their dog or not. Let us know what happens, I am really curious now.

pitc9
04-07-2005, 09:51 AM
YES!! I would call, and if mine were lost, I would want people to call me everytime they thought they saw a dog that looked like mine!!

QueenScoopalot
04-07-2005, 09:54 AM
The people are responsible enough to pay for a 'lost dog' ad, I'm sure they'd be overjoyed if it is their dog. I'd call. ;) Keep us posted. :)

kuhio98
04-07-2005, 03:00 PM
I must have missed something because I'm confused. Why the hesitation? Pick up the phone and tell them (or leave them a message) saying that you happened to be at the blah, blah shelter on such 'n such a day and saw a dog that resembled the description of their lost dog. You don't have to even give them your name. Where's the downside?

sirrahved
04-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Well, thought I'd give you the update even though it's not the best of news:(

Seems that probably what happened is when they found out they would either have to pay $100 dollars or get him neutered, they decided against taking him home.

I found out that our shelter has volunteers that check the lost pet ads every day and contact possible owners.

GRRRRRRR If you don't want to take responsibility, then why bring one into your home?