PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Bent tail feather!

Doggirl
04-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey everybody, I'm a little worried about Sam, when I went to take her out of her
cage this morning I noticed that one of her tail
feathers was kind of bent, I managed to get a picture. It
kind of looks like it's a
little ripped off from the rest of the feather, but there's no bleeding
or anything, and she doesn't seem bothered by it. I might just be over reacting,
but she's my very first bird, and my baby, so could somebody please help.

A picture of Sam with her funny tail feather
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid163/p615ce62db86608b9797984f22f653183/f48dfc1b.jpg

And here's a close up
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid163/p144cbadfe8023e20bb480438103c9217/f48dfc19.jpg

chrissycat21
04-06-2005, 05:34 PM
As long as it's not bleeding, she'll be fine. Buttons gets many bent tail feathers, when they're younger they are pretty clumsy! If it does start to bother her, chances are she'll yank it out herself.

Giselle
04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I never took up a fancy in learning about molting. In fact, all I care about is that if they're losing a load of feathers, I'll just say "Oh, it's that time of year again" and make a mental note because I was told that molting inhibits breeding. I'll also bathe them more often. So, yep, I'd say your baby was just molting her tail feathers. Divine came to us with her tail feather like that and it fell off after she flew to a perch.

sirrahved
04-07-2005, 03:02 AM
Don't get all "bent out of shape!" (Okay, for some reason this was TOTALLY hilarious to me!) Your young'un is as previously stated probably either molting or just bumped her feather the wrong way. It may be preened back into shape or just pulled out. It will probably happen lots of times in the future. Glad you came here for advice!

Give your baby a hug for me!

My Peanuts
04-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by chrissycat21
As long as it's not bleeding, she'll be fine. Buttons gets many bent tail feathers, when they're younger they are pretty clumsy! If it does start to bother her, chances are she'll yank it out herself.

That's what I was going to say :)

LKPike
04-08-2005, 02:04 PM
i agree with the previous "molting" responses :)

our b&g macaw, Matt, gets "funky" [[bent, out of place, etc]] feathers too when hes losing them.