PDA

View Full Version : My and Duncan's "almost" trip to the dog park

jennifert9
04-06-2005, 02:02 PM
I have been searching for a dog park here in NJ for a few weeks. Well, one of my co-workers told me about 2 that are fairly nearby. (Nothing is nearby in NJ! It may be the smallest state but it probably takes longer to get to the neighboring town than to drive all of Texas!;) )
So, now that Daylight Savings Time has kicked in, I actually get home from work before dark. I was really excited to take Duncan to one of these dog parks. It rained all weekend and Monday I had to work my second job, so last night, I went straight home form work, all excited to take him to the park!:D
I get home, I stuff him into the car (literally STUFF!, I drive a 2-door Honda Civic, he barely fits) and off we go...to...

a traffic jam:rolleyes: :confused: I had my mapquest directions on the seat next to me, I was all ready....and the road I needed to take was closed! Flooding apparently. Well, being new to NJ, I know of no other way to get where I need to go.
So picture this, here I am... in my tiny car with my huge dog sitting in traffic for 45 minutes! Duncan is jumping back and forth, front seat, back seat, front seat, back seat, etc, etc. etc...
And then the barking starts! Anyone who DARES to LOOK at his mother's car, gets a few barks and a growl for good measure.
And then the kicker, the motorcycle!! Duncan really dislikes anything with 2 wheels, no idea why. So the poor guy next to us on his motorcycle got an earful until I finally was able to wave to him to just move along or it would never end!

Soooo, after the traffic, I was lost. I drove for about another 15 minutes looking for anything familiar. I finally saw a sign for a town name that I recognized. I remember someone telling me that there was a nice park in that town with trails. So luckily, another 15 minutes, and we find the Ridgewood Duck Pond.
We parked, bypassed all the bicycle paths,(Duncan and bikes, ummmm, NO), the children's playground(Duncan and children, ummmm, NO), the rollerbladers, (Duncan and...well you get the picture!);) So the two of us walked through the woods for about 2 miles and back to the car for the ever so exciting RETURN TRIP!

Tonight, I am taking him to the dog park if it kills me, which it very well may!! I'll find an alternate route and I will get him there! I did promise him after all!;)

Wish me luck!!:)

Bigyummydog
04-06-2005, 02:09 PM
oh! man!...:eek: GOOD LUCK!!
...and have a good time?:p
we have faith in you...you'll
make it...:D

RobiLee
04-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Oh boy, I hate days like that. All you wanted to do was make a simple trip to the dog park...thats all!....lol.

I'm glad you are going to try again tonite. I'm looking forward to hearing about that adventure as well. Let us know how it goes.

Robin :)

anna_66
04-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh Goodness! Days like that really are the pits. But I am glad that you got to do at least a little outside with Duncan yesterday.
Now let's hope that today is better and you actually make it to the park:D

lizbud
04-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Well, did you & Duncan get to the park tonight? How did
it go?

jennifert9
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Well Duncan and I actually DID make it to the park tonight! It was touch and go for a little while! Like when Duncan barked at the poor cyclist who then fell off his bike and cursed at me;) (True story!) And we had to go about 10 miles out of our way to get there! I'm not complaining though because in some parts of Jersey, people's entire houses are underwater! So riding in the Civic with Duncan, although difficult, pales in comparison! (Kind of:))
But we made it! And it was a disaster:( The park was very small with a 4 ft. fence so immediately I'm worried! Because to Duncan, 4 ft is nothing if there is a *gasp* squirrel on the other side:)

We haven't been around other dogs since we moved here in December so I was nervous. I walked him around it for a few minutes and then..in we went! There were lots of big dogs there, bigger than Duncan. He's used to being the biggest one in the crowd so that was a new experience. He did well for the first 15 minutes or so. And then for some unexplained reason, he started chasing a little yellow lab very aggressively and we had to leave:( (He caught the poor guy once and was holding him down and snarling and the dog was crying:()
So my anticipated trip to the NJ dog park was a disaster!!! I was so hoping that Duncan would make some friends there and to be honest, I was hoping to also! I don't know anyone in this state and I thought "What a great place to meet people with similar interests!" Sadly we left dejected and friendless. :( Maybe yesterday's ordeal was a sign:) But we still have each other so it's all good I guess!!!

One strange thing that happened...there were alot of purebred dogs there, a Bernese, a doberman, an old english sheepdog, a shepherd...which I thought was neat but unusual. As we were leaving, the owner of the Doberman said "That is why I don't rescue dogs."
I was so angry I wanted to go back and let Duncan loose on her but...I didn't.
Sorry the story wasn't as funny as the first...I'm sure Duncan and I will have more adventures that I can share that will bring y'all more laughs! :)

RobiLee
04-06-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm so sorry that things didn't work out for you guys. I don't know why people feel the need to make rude comments like that either.

Hang in there and don't let one try discourage you. You and Duncan will make new friends soon. I'm sure of it! I wish I could come and visit. I'll bet Tori and Duncan would have a blast.

Robin :)

anna_66
04-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Jennifer so sorry to hear that this trip didn't work out either:(
If this makes you feel any better we went to the dog park tonight and didn't have such a great time ourselves (in dog behavior). Just leave it up to those boys to get themselves in trouble;)

I hope you can find a better place to take Duncan and both of you can make some friends!

Oggyflute
04-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Jennifer I was kind of smiling a bit at your ordeal, having gone through similar ones myself, and was glad you actually got to the park. Then I found myself a bit sad and hurt at that ignorant womans comment. Things will get better though, I'm sure of it. You will make new friends as will Duncan, it's inevitable, escpecially with Duncans great personality.:)

Ginger's Mom
04-07-2005, 05:53 AM
I, too, am sorry to here that the trip to the dog park was not a happy one. I was hoping you and Duncan would find a place to enjoy other dogs and their families. As to that lady, well, all I can say is that I am glad that she has never attempted to rescue a dog. With her attitude can you imagine what a disaster it would be for the poor dog who is in need of a loving and understanding home? I don't know how far that dog park is from your home, but I say don't give up. You and Duncan will find the right dogs/people to be with there, after all true dog people are the best people.

elizabethann
04-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Please don't give up on the dog park. Perhaps you could take him early in the morning before a lot of people show up. That way Duncan can walk around and sniff around and get a feel for the place. Perhaps he was just feeling unsure of himself and his surroundings so he acted out by being agressive. Also, if there are too many dogs, he may have been nervous. I go to a dog park (about 30 miles from my home) every once in awhile with my 20lb terrier Fenway. I know not to go on a Saturday afternoon because there are too many dogs there and it's nuts. I go early in the morning when there arn't too many dogs and it's more "calming". As far as the person who said "that's why I don't rescue dogs". Crap on her! She's an idiot! Anyone with a brain would know not to say such a stupid thing! Ignore her. You'll find at a dog park there are MANY nice people but there's ALWAYS going to be someone who's going to be weird or mean. Just ignore them. They're not worth your attention! Perhaps you can find a doggy day care and see if they have a play group? I know a doggy day care in a city next to my town USED to have a play group meet every Saturday. It cost $8. I believe it was for 1 hour. Look around. Perhaps you could find one. Take him there for about 1 month everyweek and then try the dog park again. Just a thought. Good luck.