PDA

View Full Version : advice needed: potental adoptees

emily_the_spoiled
04-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi everyone,

Last night I went and saw two cats that I am thinking of adopting. The problem is that they were born feral and didn't have alot of socialization when they were young. One of them is pretty good around humans, but the other one hid the entire time I was there. The foster mom said that normally they aren't like this.

I guess my question is, with four cats already in the house, would these guys be able to come out of their shells and participate in the household?

Laura's Babies
04-06-2005, 10:07 AM
I would say that each cat has it's own idividual personality. Some like company, some don't so I wouldn't be alarmed that one ran and hid. Chester runs and hides everytime company comes but my girls will just continue on doing what they were doing.

They should settle right down once they get use to being in a new place if you do the intro's right.

emily_the_spoiled
04-06-2005, 10:14 AM
I hope that you are right. One issue is that one of the cats has lost an eye and has partial vision in the other, so I am not sure if he would relax and fit in (but that is why I am willing to take his brother also).

I guess I am a little concerned because they didn't receive much socialization when they were kittens and would they be able to adjust again...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't think there would be a problem. It sounds like you'd have to have patience and not expect them to be lap kittys from the git-go, but it sounds like once they are comfortable with their surroundings they come out of their shells, so I don't see why they wouldn't fit in with your gang.

Good luck, and remember, pictures, pictures, pictures! ;) :D

catmandu
04-06-2005, 12:50 PM
You didnt say,how old these Cats are,as younger Cats,woud adjust a lot better,to a New Furr Ever Homes,tahn Older Cats,who are set,in thier ways.And Older Cats,are used,to seeing Other Cats,as rivals,for food.I hope,that you can help,those Stray Fellows,as they sound like Cats,that almost every potential adopter,will pass,on,with thier eye problems!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos901.jpg

jenluckenbach
04-06-2005, 01:54 PM
You will not regret taking in a former feral. NO, they won't be instant companions. YES, they will learn to love. NO, it won't be easy. It takes a tremendous amount of patience to win the trust of the "wild". But it is [b]SO[b] worth it. YES, they will adjust.

Most Ferals are used to living in groups and can get used to other cats fairly easily.

Of course, you would need to keep them their very own room to start with. And not only for the normal introduction period everyone needs, but during this time they need to get used to YOU.

And you know that you can get a lot of hints from us as to how to interact with them if you find yourself needing advice.

I am SO excited, and I don't even know what these 2 look like, or anything!

emily_the_spoiled
04-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Well first I have to go through the adoption process with the shelter. Both brothers are only 11 months old, so in terms of age they should be okay. But I am just worried about the limited socialization they had growing up. I know their foster mom loves them very much but this was her first batch of ferals and she learned as she went along.

They are part Aby, so they are very sleek looking, kind of dark gray/black/brown. Mom was an Aby and they aren't sure what the Dad is.

If I qualify for them I will make sure to take plenty of pictures. And I will definitely be coming here for advice on how to handle them!!

P.S. You can thank CCL and Magoo for providing me with the ambition to take on a special needs cat.