PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone leash trained their cat?

janelle
04-06-2005, 02:30 AM
How many people have leash trained their cats?
Can it really be done and if so is it safe to walk them in the neighborhood without having dogs running after them?

Also what would you think if you saw someone pushing a cat carrier down the street? They have some but they look like baby carriages. Cool or not cool? Scary or not scarey?

Laura's Babies
04-06-2005, 10:33 AM
My Mama's Boo was lease trained but they just put her outside the patio doors on one, didn't walk her on it or anything.

Chesters kennel has a place for wheels but I wouldn't use it to take him out for walks.. It is just a heavy kennel and he is a heavy cat and everytime I take him to the vet, I wish I had the wheels for it! Put two of my baies in there and try to carry it is a JOKE... it is more like dragging it!

nibblets
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Julie is leash trained. I pretty much just let her explore and guide her away from places she shouldn't go. I use a retractable lead and she has lots of fun eating grass and venturing about.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p090c12dcfc5de2943055a2b57b073b3c/f852444c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p5e4452ab768c97ffedf945686d3a7e00/f8524453.jpg

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Tubby was and Peanut is leash trained. Peanut won't actually go for walks around the block, but she does enjoy going out in the backyard and the only way that is possible for her is on the leash. Tubby used to go for walks around the block with me when he was much, much, much younger. Then I moved to places where it wasn't conducive to take a cat for a walk around the block (like in the City of Chicago) and by the time I moved in with Terry, Tubby was older and was satisfied with going out in the backyard.

I wanted to do the same with CJ, but he didn't seem to like the collar with the rope on it that I used for Tubby, so I thought I'd get him one of those "figure 8" harnesses. You know, the kind that has a strap around the neck and one around the stomach? Well....last Friday evening he almost strangled himself to death on it - so no harness for Cracker Jack! I'm still going to try to get him outside on a leash (because he won't be going out any other way), but it appears the most successful way to accomplish this is to start them young. CJ is already 7 years old and has never been outside except to go to the vet and to the shelter and then to my house.

So, there is no reason your kitty shouldn't be able to be leash trained. Does your kitty wear a collar already? I think that is half the battle is getting them used to the collar. I've never seen anyone actually pushing their cat in one of those carriage thingys, but I think it would be neat, if the kitty enjoys it. If the kitty is scared to death and the owner is doing it solely for themselves, that's not right. And as for walking kitty in a neighborhood with dogs chasing after - do you really think kitty would enjoy that? Nothing wrong with it if the dogs stay away and if kitty doesn't mind dogs, but there's no way a cat of mine would be walked around a block where dogs were running loose and able to attack at any moment! :eek:

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it goes. :D

sirrahbed
04-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I have also seen those strollers to push and if it were me - that is what I would get. I guess it depends on whether you plan to just stay in the yard or really want to take them around the neighborhood. I like to take walks all around our platte and think it would be fun to puch them in the carrier!:D I am not sure which kitties would like it and who would not - but it would make me feel safer and I am sure it is a great conversation piece with neighbors!!:D

In fact - I am going to go internet shopping to see how much those things cost!:eek: If I do it - ya'll will know!

Good luck Janelle:)

catmandu
04-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I TRIED,THAT WITH SIAMESE SAM,ON THE BACK LAWN,AND HE REVED UP,AND RAN,AS FAST,AS HE COULD,RIPPING THE CORD,AND THEN STOPPING,A MAD MEEZER!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/SAMPREC.jpg

RedHedd
04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Nope, no leash training here, however I do have a carrier on wheels (the super deluxe Sherpa one) for when I take Mishi to the vet. He's just too darned heavy to carry. I LOVE that thing (worth every penny!) and Mishi kind of likes it too as he can see out.

Debbie, I got mine at FuturePets.com. Drs. Foster & Smith have the super-deluxe stroller-type things. They are pricey.

Edwina's Secretary
04-06-2005, 12:54 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/pb1a5d6ac31c64af954952b6511bfa0ad/f9563780.jpg

Both Eddie and Edwina have harness and leash for going outside. It is usually just for the yard. Edwina walks better than Eddie on it.

I've often thought of getting a stroller....a friend has one....I just don't know if I want the E's to know there is a world out there....(filled with coyotes and rattlesnakes...:o :eek: :o ) The one I looked at was about $125.

AmberLee
04-06-2005, 01:20 PM
For about 6 weeks after Cassy's brother Sassy died, we went walkees on a leash around the complex. It did seem to help him come to grips with the upset of the time...

Since Livvy came to live with us, he doesn't like the leash anymore, and I haven't tried with Livvy.

When we would go out, I got a lot of weird looks from the neighbors (and one who insists Cass is a dog as cats don't walk on leashes. :rolleyes: ) -- our walking consisted of quick sprints between bushes and up staircases and long periods where it appeared I'd tethered myself to shrubs and bushes. (Either trying to untangle the leash, or Cassy refreshed himself in the leaves with a quick nap.) It wasn't the highlight of our bonding experience.

The only loose dogs here belong to a friend who would walk the dogs on alternate paths when we were having our 'walkies'.

sirrahbed
04-06-2005, 02:21 PM
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/de/38/d8_2.JPG
I bought this one at eBay. It was $129 with free shipping:o

I can't believe I did that.... The neighbors already think I am nuts - but walking my kitties in a stroller??? :cool: :D heeheehee

catnapper
04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Pouncer is harness and leash trained. Yup, I got looks when I walked him -- notice I said GOT. He won't walk anymore since he got spooked with a lighting storm while we were out once.

janelle
04-06-2005, 02:34 PM
That's cute sirrahbed. Sure looks better than the baby looking carriage one I saw online. The neighbors would think we were walking our grandbabies and then see cats. LOL, think we are crazy.

Guess cats are not dogs and never can be treated like them. No leash walking for them. Dogs love it cats hate it. Just sad to see Simon beg to go out and we are going on a walk. He can't come so he has to stay in the house.

:(

sirrahbed
04-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by janelle
That's cute sirrahbed. Sure looks better than the baby looking carriage one I saw online. The neighbors would think we were walking our grandbabies and then see cats. LOL, think we are crazy.
:(

Janelle - yes I also saw that one that looks like a baby stroller but I like this one better and it also comes off to use as a hand carrier. We DO walk our grand-daughter in the neighborhood:D I will be sure to get pictures and let ya'll know how our kitty walking goes - will try each kitty and hopefully someone will like it!! I bet Lizzie and Robbie will:D

PS: neighbors already think I am nuts so it will be fine:p

janelle
04-06-2005, 05:14 PM
We moved here last year at this time and hubby knows some neighbors from work. We at least have to act like we aren't crazy when we go walking. LOL Hubby would have a kitten---hey one more to take home. LOL

I like to be crazy though. Shortly after we moved in I took a huge artifical topiary plant out of our neighbors trash can. HEEHEE My hubby was embarressed but I did it after dark so maybe no one saw me do it. LOL