PDA

View Full Version : Do your dogs run to the door when they hear a doorbell on TV?

Shoshonee
10-03-2001, 12:53 PM
My pups run to the door and bark and then they look at me like I've lost my mind when I don't get up and answer the door!!! :p

kobieeli
10-03-2001, 01:02 PM
Hi Shones--welcome from another Californian to PetTalk!

Our dogs go nuts with TV doorbells, and always look at us expectantly ("Hey, a visitor! Aren't you gonna get the door? Huh? Huh?"). They also freak out about the ringers that sound like doorbells on some gameshows. There are certain shows on The Game Show network that we just CANNOT watch because the dogs bark every few seconds when a contestant rings in to answer! :D

thelmalu99
10-03-2001, 01:05 PM
That's so funny!

I have to admit that I once answered the phone when a phone rang on TV. It sounded just like my phone ringing! :o

My cat Danny runs to the answering machine when it picks up. He just sits there on the chair staring at the machine as if he's paying attention to the message! :cool:

Logan
10-03-2001, 01:37 PM
I had a cat once who would knock the phone off the hook when it rang!

As for the television, occasionally, if Honey and Lilly are really paying attention, and hear a doorbell on the tv, they will run to the door. They definitely stop whatever they are doing if the "real" doorbell rings! :D

Pam
10-03-2001, 03:47 PM
Thelmalu, LOL! You and Danny have given me my laughs for the day! I just got the cutest mental pictures!!! We don't have a doorbell, just a knocker, so Bella doesn't really associate a bell with visitors. If someone knocks, though, she is right there, tail all wagging and ready to say hello! The cats, on the other hand, take off when someone knocks. Trevor usually comes back about 5 minutes later to see who is here but if Andy doesn't recognize the voice he stays out of sight until they leave! :D

crow_noir
10-03-2001, 11:50 PM
LOL!!! Specs used to bark if it was on tv when she was a pup. she is super intellegent though and figured out the difference.

and i don't really watch tv all that much, so King doesn't get that opprutinutiy all that much. though, the few times it did happen he either continued napping or just looked up at the tv w/ that tilted gaze.

...however, when it comes to knocking or a bang, you can do it right in front of Specs and she will still bark.

KayAnn
10-04-2001, 06:44 AM
Simba always barks when he jears tje door bell ring on tv. He could be in the porch right by the front door and we could ring the door bell and he still barks!

He also barks and whine whenever he sees his reflection... we have a thing for our stereo that has sa glass front and he can see his reflections it,, he will sit there for ever just staring at himself and tilting his head, then he'll run in the back yard looking for another dog! (because if u were to go threw the stereo thing ud be in the backyard.)

catwoman
10-04-2001, 01:03 PM
Anyone else's cats know BEFORE the phone rings? I think this is so neat!

Dianne

Daisy's Mom
10-04-2001, 08:29 PM
Daisy pays no attention to the television, but if she does hear the regular doorbell, off she goes, barking and howling until the door is opened and she sees a friend and covered them in kisses.

AngieS
10-04-2001, 09:52 PM
Olli doesn't pay any attention to the door bell on tv. I guess he can tell the difference. lol

-------------
Angie
Olli 9 mo.old,male,flashy fawn boxer,natural ears, docked tail
kitti 1 yr.old, female,gray & black stripes with white

crow_noir
10-07-2001, 12:39 AM
man! that's freaky when your pet or you know the phone is going to ring. or you've been contimplating calling someone and you are about to pick up the phone to dial and it rings. (you jump of course) and it turns out to be the person you were going to call.

when we've been gone somewhere, King will tell us that someone called. he realllllly wags his tail and does particular circles in the kitchen.

aly
10-08-2001, 12:45 AM
Lolly and Reece both bark at the doorbell on a Pizza Hut commercial. They usually ignore doorbells on sitcoms though. Maybe they just want the pizza :D

Lolly loves the Animal Planet. Reece ignores the channel but today I was watching a show and these sea turtles came on. Lolly jumped up from a dead sleep, ran to the TV, and started whimpering at the turtles. And when I said "What's that Lolly????????", she ran in circles and then jumped up and pawed the TV. She also will always whine if she hears a dog on tv, hehe.

karen israel
10-08-2001, 03:42 PM
All your responses are SO cute and funny! My big galoot, silly boy, Cody has learned to ignore TV door bells cause he was tired, I guess, of flying/barking to the front door only to find nobody there, and me laughing. So he always had his head down and sulked, embarassed. To give you a hint on his response to the real thing, I've sanded and painted the front door at least 5 times!! He taught himself how to stick a paw through the mail slot and tries to swat the mailman particulary. So the poor guy (must be posted under America's most feared) must have told his replacements cause they put the mail BETWEEN the front door and trhe screen! Now who's embarrassed?

Eudora
10-13-2001, 09:27 AM
Cookie's never paid attention to the doorbell. but the real one always sets her off barking like mad.

ash
10-21-2001, 09:53 AM
my boots is 17 and he used to go literally mental when he heard the dorbell now in his old age he probally can t even hear it1!

manda99
11-19-2001, 07:59 PM
Yes, our doggies do this all the time!