PDA

View Full Version : Interesting happenings

IRescue452
04-05-2005, 10:10 PM
A sure sign that rodents are low around Lakeland's campus. I saw three feral cats today working together just like lions to try to bring down a large rabbit (they missed). I didn't think they worked together like that and I know they don't often put up the fight for a big rabbit so we must be low on rats and mice. I feel kinda sorry for the cats, though they get plenty to eat from the dumpsters, because they aren't going to last long on our small rabbit population.

rg_girlca
04-05-2005, 10:26 PM
It's a shame that any cat still has to eat out of the dumpsters to survive. I know this will never end as it has been going on forever, but I can always dream.

I also didn't think that they worked together like that either.

I know on garbage day around here, when the strays break into the bags to find something to eat, that if another stray gets too close, it's war time.

IRescue452
04-05-2005, 10:35 PM
We are down to about 5 cats on campus now, as opposed to over a dozen last year. I think most of them don't make it out of the dumpster when the garbage truck lifts it up. I'd love to catch them and take them to the humane society but we aren't allowed to trap on campus and they are too feral to get caught anyway, one in particular wouldn't supprise me if it was a pixie-bob.

Laura's Babies
04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
How about you feeding them if they won't let you trap?

catmandu
04-06-2005, 12:40 PM
AT MY LOCAL PET VALU,THEY HAVE BAGS,OF BROKEN BAG CAT FOOD,THAT YOU CAN BUY,AT REDUCED RATES,AND THERE ARE A LOT,OF DIFFERENT FOOD,IN THERE.MAYBE,SOMEONE HAS THAT NEAR YOU,SO FEEDING,THESTRAYS,WOULDNT COST,SO MUCH!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/GARYMEEZ.jpg

IRescue452
04-06-2005, 03:02 PM
I often buy them chicken sandwiches off my flex meal plan because those are extra fast food meals for after 7 pm in case you miss supper and I never use them. I'm always afraid to give them more than that because we have surveilence cameras all over campus and I know there will be hell if I go out and buy cat food for them. I've been in enough pet controversy this year because of Requiem, one hall director says she's legal and the other says she's not. I think that there are plenty of friends here that the cats get food from and once in a while a student will catch one and bring it to their house or to the humane society. I just wish the school would take an active role in trapping them and bringing them in so that we don't have new generations of strays each year.

Laura's Babies
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Research on the web about feral cat colonies and reproducing and you will find all sorts of material for your cause to TNR if that is what you want to do.. The numbers would stagger them if they read about all that if they leave them unchecked.

kaoK'okung
04-07-2005, 12:31 AM
now's your chance to be PART of the solution and not a bystander...get other students, who are like you and start MAKING people aware of the problem...go to faculty, start some kind of club or campus association...you CAN do it...the cat's NEED YOU!!!....good luck!!!!....:) :) :)

QueenScoopalot
04-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by kaoK'okung
now's your chance to be PART of the solution and not a bystander...get other students, who are like you and start MAKING people aware of the problem...go to faculty, start some kind of club or campus association...you CAN do it...the cat's NEED YOU!!!....good luck!!!!....:) :) :)
I agree! Form a commitee and go before the higher ups, and propose a TNR program before it's worse than ever! Vaccinated and altered cats are far better to have on a campus than ones not vaccinated (rabies is rare, but does occur). I'd research area shelters and see if they'll assist in this, and hopefully remove friendly ones for adoption. That's one of the main reasons I will not adopt to a college student, no matter how responsible they may seem. Too many campuses are over flowing with cats and kittens from studentswho move on, and dump the cats in the first place. :mad: I've mopped up around a few area colleges! :rolleyes: