PDA

View Full Version : This is all too overwhelming

luckies4me
04-05-2005, 07:53 PM
This week has SUCKED! :( Peanut started having issues with his diabetes and passed away two days ago. :( I held him during the end, and even though he was in pain he managed to look right into my eyes before he passed away, as if he was saying goodbye. We never made it to our appointment. :( My cockroach died too. Despite help from roach forums she didn't make it because she couldn't shed completely.

I've also been nursing Speedy (my hedgehog) back to health as he developed a severe allergic reaction to some new food, which caused diarrhea. He had it really bad and ended up getting a bacterial infection on his lower body. The vet has him in Trimethaprim Sulfa right now, and I am bathing him twice a day, and then applying a really great ointment. He is doing so much better, but still has about two weeks before he makes a complete recovery. He smells horrible, like parvo. :( Through this whole thing he has been a champ though! He's letting me take care of him, and what's weird is that he's seeming to get friendlier since I've had so much hands on time with him lately.

I'll attach a couple pictures. These are when he was raelly bad. I'll take some updated pictures tonight so you can see how far he's come. He's really doing a lot better, but this whole thing just makes me so sick to my stomach. I feel awful. :(

Here he is after I bathed him and before I applied the medicine. He's also being soaked in Chlorhexyderm solution once a day as well. The thing in the middle is his tail. Unfortunately, the damage was so severe that some of his quills will not grow back. His diarrhea is finally under control now, which is why his skin is clearing up now.

luckies4me
04-05-2005, 07:58 PM
And this is him with the ointment on. And yes, it looks as horrible in person as it does in the photo. Plus, he smells awful. Hedgehog poop is really stinky, and when it's diarrhea and rotten flesh....:p <--vomit. It's hard not to.

I'll take updated pics of him tonight so you can see how well he is doing now. :)

Karen
04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Poor hedgie! At least he's being cooperative about the medicine!

sandragonfly
04-05-2005, 08:08 PM
oh my gosh!! this damadorable speedy won't speed away just for you,...those poor baby pictures really likes you! he'd just sit there patiently and let you put "a nuisance" stuff on him. unlike my hedges who would just love to play hide and seek games.

you scared me for a moment, since I didn't know his name and I thought he was Peanuts and I thought ...what the...he already died?? but there you are, little speedy! horrible feelings for you and this little soul..godspeed the recovery! tonight! yes, I will pray for a trade! xo to you both - and the bridge ones :(

luckies4me
04-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Poor hedgie! At least he's being cooperative about the medicine!

That's the absolutely hardest thing about hedgies, is they are to difficult to medicate. For two days I tried treating his diarrhea and I couldn't get him unballed. So he got worse, and his irriation got worse. Then I just started scruffing him, and after about 3 minutes he will relax and I can squirt the meds in his mouth. He's good at letting me bathe him though, which helps a lot. It's hard to put the ointment on him because he loves the taste of it, and immediately tries attacking the q-tip as if it were food. Luckily though, the meds won't hurt him if he ingests any. I'm just glad he's finally showing some improvement. For a while there I thought I might have had to euthanize him.

luckies4me
04-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
oh my gosh!! this damadorable speedy won't speed away just for you,...those poor baby pictures really likes you! he'd just sit there patiently and let you put "a nuisance" stuff on him. unlike my hedges who would just love to play hide and seek games.

you scared me for a moment, since I didn't know his name and I thought he was Peanuts and I thought ...what the...he already died?? but there you are, little speedy! horrible feelings for you and this little soul..godspeed the recovery! tonight! yes, I will pray for a trade! xo to you both - and the bridge ones :(

Thank you for the well wishes. Do you have any photos of your hedgehogs? I have two others, Flower and Spike. :) Fortunately, they are in perfect health. Flower's a little on the tubby side though. :o

sandragonfly
04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Do you have any photos of your hedgehogs? I have two others, Flower and Spike. :) Fortunately, they are in perfect health. Flower's a little on the tubby side though. :o

yes I do! of snap, pop and crackle :) when I get them scanned but I'm not sure where I can scan very soon! I wish I have one NOW. alot of pictures and people sitting out there and waitiiiing... :(

LuvGold00
04-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Oh My! That poor little baby! That looks so horrible, I don't think I'd be able to medicate him like you have to! It would make me sick!
I'm glad he's feeling better though, and sorry to hear about your losses...

luckies4me
04-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by SunKissedGoldens
Oh My! That poor little baby! That looks so horrible, I don't think I'd be able to medicate him like you have to! It would make me sick!
I'm glad he's feeling better though, and sorry to hear about your losses...

Thank you. And believe me, it does make you very sick. The smell is almost overwhelming. I looked at him before I went grocery shopping and he is doing so much better!!! :D It's starting to scab now, which means it's healing. :D

Oggyflute
04-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Sorry to hear about Peanut, but at least Speedy is on the way to recovery.:)

CagneyDog
04-06-2005, 02:27 AM
Aw :( I'm sorry to hear about your horrible week.

I hope Speedy, makes a speedy (:rolleyes: lol) recovery.

RIP Peanut

bckrazy
04-06-2005, 02:40 AM
OMG! poor Speedy! he looks like the sweetest little guy >.<

It sounds like he's definitely in good hands, I cant imagine how hard it must be to treat him... get better soon, Speedy :) :)

luckies4me
04-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Well I switched all the hedgies back to their old food and all seem to be a lot happier, and no more diarrhea for Speedy. I have him seperated from the others until he can completely recover. I can't believe he healed so fast though. I really gotta get pics of him today. I was thinking of making a video so you can see how hard it actually is having to treat him. :p

chrissycat21
04-06-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm sorry about Peanut and your cockroach. :(

I'm glad to hear Speedy is doing better. Hopefully he will just continue to get better!

petslover
04-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss

Wishing him a speedy recovery