PDA

View Full Version : talking (and other stuff) in sleep

kobieeli
10-01-2001, 12:00 PM
I love to see and hear dreaming dogs! Both Kobie and Eli frequently bark during sleep (sometimes for several minutes at a time) and move their paws like they're running. Eli will also wag his tail, flick his ears, and make chewing motions in his sleep. All of his antics and noises often wake me up in the middle of the night! :D It seems that they do more talking and such after they've spent the day on an outing and are happily exhausted...

KayAnn
10-01-2001, 04:28 PM
Simba barks in his sleep too!!!! its soooooooo cute! i always wake him up lightly though i dont want him haeving a nightmare!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-01-2001, 08:43 PM
Daisy sleeps with me (ok Carrie, I know I know) she hardly makes any noise but one night she was making a gurgling noise, so I said Daisy are you o.k.? She didn't move, then I rubbed her tummy and she didn't move, I felt her neck and couldn't feel any pulse and she still didn't move, so right then I got scared, I grabbed her and was going to give her CPR and reaching for the intercom at the same time when her ears stood straight up and looked at me like I was crazy. Talk about a deep sleep, she don't snore or talk in her sleep but not much wakes her up.

RachelJ
10-01-2001, 09:46 PM
Tucker is my little dreamer. You can almost tell what is is dreaming about (chasing critters). Every once in awhile he will let out a muffled bark and he twitches and jerks (running). It is so sweet.

Jackie you had to be so scared when that happened. Glad you didn't have to be worried for very long.

Logan
10-02-2001, 08:05 AM
Honey sleeps very peacefully....she's probably exhausted after running laps around the yard all day!

Lilly sleeps a lot, but rather lightly, I think. She doesn't run in her sleep, but does "yip" and sometimes even cries. Many a night, I have been awakened to hear her crying, and I go on my search to find her and give her some love. :( I can't help but think it is her hips hurting her when she does that, or maybe she's just lonely.

Jackie, I would have had a heart attack right there on the spot if one of mine appeared to stop breathing!! I'm glad Daisy is fine, but even more glad you knew what to do for her! :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-02-2001, 08:32 AM
Ours grunt and groan more than 'talk,' but they have barked themselves awake on occasion!
I love the 'twitchy toes' they get when they are dreaming hard!

thelmalu99
10-02-2001, 12:02 PM
Heh, heh, yeah!
My kitties do the twitchy toes thing all the time. It's so cute when the ears and nose twitch too. I always wake them up and give them snuggles, just in case they were having nightmares.

AdoreMyDogs
10-02-2001, 12:18 PM
I can't sleep with Graham because he is a heavy dreamer. He wakes me up even without being in my bed with his whines, yips, barks, and his "running" legs and twitching toes. One thing that he does and it makes me laugh everytime I see it is he blows air bubbles out of his jowels :) He blows air out of the side of his lips and it looks and sounds so funny :) Another thing that he does, which I don't like so much because it kind of creeps me out, is his eyes are rolling around alot, and his eye lids are slightly open but instead of seeing an eyeball, all I see is the pink inner eyelid. Looks kinda creepy to see that, like a zombie dog :eek:

Sometimes he's quiet, but often he has at least one noisy dream at night, and if it wakes me I usually will get up and comfort my baby boy in case he's having a nightmare :confused:

purrley
10-02-2001, 12:33 PM
Thelmalu - yep my kitties do the same thing- ears twitch, paws and whisters twitch. Makes you wonder - what in the world do they dream about - I've heard it said that animals just live in the moment - don't think about the past or the future - you think they'res any truth to this.

"when I go to heaven, heaven it will not be, unless my cats are there to welcome me"

thelmalu99
10-02-2001, 01:32 PM
Purrley,
I usually tend not to believe it when people say things like that about animals, just like I don't believe it when people say that animals don't have feelings or that cats don't really like their humans.
I know it's not likely that I will ever know what my babies think about, but I think that they at least remember things that have happened to them. I realize that they're not contemplating world peace or thinking about stock market fluctuations, but I like to think that there is something going on in their brains.

Daisy's Mom
10-02-2001, 09:18 PM
Daisy's legs twitch when she "runs" in her dreams, and occasnionally she whimpers. I freak out and run to her and wake her up gently with kisses on that big black nose. I don't want my little angel having nightmares!

Oh and Leslie, if you think that Graham's eyes look a little freaky when he sleeps, try having a Basset Hound! Their faces are so droopy that they top eyelids don't connect with the bottom eyelids, so there is always a little strip of red :) I am used to it and I actually find it cute now, but I can see why some people would be a little freaked!

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Xw/Dn/rw/ij61657.jpg

Yes, she is asleep in that picture, even though her eyes look half open! LOL

thelmalu99
10-03-2001, 10:50 AM
Daisy is an absolute doll!
What a face!! :D