PDA

View Full Version : Speech Help Again, please!

petslover
04-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I have another speech coming up thats due. It has to be a persuasive (i know that looks mispelled lol) speech. I am going to do it on Adopting a Dog at the humane society instead of buying one from a breeder. Any suggestions/ideas on what exactly I should talk about?

Thank You.

Tweety_Pie
04-05-2005, 06:43 PM
I think thats a good idea.. but(IMHO) you should make it on Adopting a dog from a humane society instead of buying from a pet store or puppy mill.

(just my opinion, so you don't have to use that idea lol, but that is a good topic)

Kelsey :)

Karen
04-05-2005, 06:43 PM
You can talk about many things:

The number of healthy dogs put to sleep every year because of shelter overcrowding

The fact that shelters often have purebred dogs

The fact that most dogs end up there not because the dogs are a problem (common misconception) but that people have a problem

The fact that shelter dogs are often pre-trained, and you can get a trained dog who is past its teething stage, but is still young and has plenty of life in them

Is that enough? ;)

petslover
04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Well I would do that, but we don't have pet stores around here that sale dogs so I don't know if that would work.

Thank you though.

Thank you Karen too.

That gave me some ideas to explore and write about. I am going to write the speech over the weekend. I got the one on the rats next week. So they are piling us up on speeches. hehe!

Oggyflute
04-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Make sure you structure your speech. Define what the subject is, discuss the issues, and finish with a conclusion.:)

Laura's Babies
04-06-2005, 03:53 PM
It dosen't matter if you don't have pet stores around... look in the newspapers, there are puppies for sale everywhere, all the time! Still stress that and to SPAY/NEUTER and to be responsiable pet owners. Someone, one day will remember your speech and it will save countless lives!

Make sure that they understand most of the owners of the pets at shelters are people that did not commit to being responsiable pet owners, did not understand what a lifetime committment to a pet is. If there were MORE responsiable pet owners, there would be no shelters.

Man, I would have no problem with that speech... I preach it all the time!