PDA

View Full Version : Up for Adoption

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-05-2005, 03:04 PM
I really hate when a pet has to be given up "due to allergies," but I've recently discovered that I am allergic to dust mites and therefore, much to my distress, I will have to put up for adoption the thousands (if not millions) of them that are currently residing in my home. They are all very well behaved although they seem to think the entire house is their litter box, but there's not much you can do to train a dust mite.

I recently had my down comforter cleaned and later realized, much to my horror, that that is a favorite place for them to hang out, so I probably unwittingly killed thousands of them....just so I could have a clean comforter....how could I have been so cruel? :eek: :(

They are lovable little creatures and if you've never seen one, please click here (http://www.cellsalive.com/mite.htm) to see one and read all about them.

As bad as it sounds, I feel so much better since taking the comforter off my bed. I feel horrible that so many of the little guys had to die for my comfort....but I haven't had to take a tylenol in over a week now, and that is unheard of! :eek:

So if anyone is willing to give these guys a home, I'd really appreciate it. I have no experience with trapping and moving them, so hopefully a loving caring home can be found with someone who has experience caring for them.

popcornbird
04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Dearest Debbie, you are more than welcome to keep them. Allergies or not, it isn't right to give up a pet. Besides.......isn't it wrong to pass on the allergies to someone ELSE? :eek: He he he!!! Just kidding! Good luck with those dust mites of your's, and I hope you're able to get rid of them soon!

christa
04-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Um, no thanks . . . we *probably* have our fair share as well! ;)

GraciesMommy
04-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't have room for any more or I would help you out...I am over extended as it is..sowwwwwieeeeeeeee

caseysmom
04-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Maybe you could find a dust mite rescue organization in your area:D

Cincy'sMom
04-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Debbie,
Cincy would like you to know that she endures shots faithfully every 18 days, so that we do not have to rehomes our dust mites.
Perhaps you could look into a similiar "cure" to help with your allergies?

Edwina's Secretary
04-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Don has told me absolutely no more dust mites! :D :D :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Don has told me absolutely no more dust mites! :D :D :D

If only Terry felt about more dust mites the way he feels about more kitties in the house. :rolleyes: ;) :D

carole
04-05-2005, 04:47 PM
I would gladly offer to take them in,hate to see them homeless, but i am not sure if the Kiwi's and American's will see eye to eye, they could be a different species ya know,I am often tempted to send my packing, but my heart just isn't in it.,I think they have a permanent home with me.,despite all my allergy problems, you have my utmost empathy there. cheers.:D :)

jenluckenbach
04-05-2005, 05:00 PM
You know there are ways to DEAL with your allergies. You made a commitment to those dust mites when you brought that comforter into your home. now I think that you should build them their very own special room so that you can keep them safe and sound while still not suffering too much. It is the least you can do, after all, dust mites don't travel well.

gini
04-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Debbie, I have a question. Are they spayed or neutered and do they have all of their shots?

Samantha Puppy
04-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Have you no heart? How could you possibly give up something with a face this cute??

http://www.aaaai.org/images/photolibrary/dustmite2.jpg

Prairie Purrs
04-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Reminds me of the Northern Exposure episode in which Maggie dreams she's having a conversation with a dust mite. :D I miss that show!

Laura's Babies
04-05-2005, 05:53 PM
If you get any takers and they want more.... I have to get rid of mine too. :( I been allregic to them for years and have to .... how shall I say this delicately..... "throw them out of the house?" Hump! They have a ball here the 28 days I am on the boat.

Also Deb, they make a cover for your pillows and materss to keep dust mites at bay and I hear they work... I just have a matress cover and wash it often with my pillows.

lizbud
04-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by CatsinDenver
Reminds me of the Northern Exposure episode in which Maggie dreams she's having a conversation with a dust mite. :D I miss that show!

Wasn't that the best show.:D I miss it.

As to the possible adoption, no thanks, but thanks for the itch,
er,,,,, thought.:D

gini
04-05-2005, 07:01 PM
AAACCCCHHHHOOOOOOO!

Thanks, Debbie, I think the ones I have agreed to adopt, have arrived.

RICHARD
04-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy

Thanks alot.....
Guess what nightmare I'm having tonight???:eek: ;)

KYS
04-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Since you feel so bad, I will gladly
send you over mine for a loooong visit. :D

moosmom
04-05-2005, 08:05 PM

EEEEWWWWW!!! Looks like my ex-mother-in-law!!!!

My skin itches just LOOKING at it!!!

Sorry, NO VACANCY!!!!! ;)

Chica
04-05-2005, 08:07 PM
NO THANKS, I HAVE MY OWN. DOESN'T EVERYBODY? HAHA:)

anna_66
04-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Oh Debbie how could you? You know they need homes too (just not yours right;)).
With our three or should I say four? dogs we have our fair share so I guess you'll just have to find another take for yours:D

And thanks for the visual guys....guess what I'm washing right now:eek: :D :p

Kfamr
04-05-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm really sick of irresponsible dust mite owners!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AbbyMom
04-05-2005, 10:56 PM
I'd like to help you out, but we're already at our dust mite limit.

I'm SOOOO glad I just got that dry cleaning coupon for comforters in the mail today.

janelle
04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
I"ll trade you for my mosquitos. I'm not allergic to dust mites but the mosquitos bite the heck out of me. :mad: If you would just stop shedding your skin they would die of hunger.

I've put a plastic cover on my mattress cause my hubby is allergic. Wash your covers once a week and clean your pillows in the machine but somethimes they fall apart. Your choice. I haved two 50 dollars pillows (I know, what was I thinking) and I won't throw them into the machine. But dust mites dont bother me just my hubby and he wears Breath Right everynight. So I'll take them if you will take the mosquitos. :p

Barbara
04-06-2005, 04:14 AM
I would be happy to take them but the airlines don't accept them in the cabin and I could never stand if they were transported in the freight room where it is MUCH too cold for them.

Don't you have a no-kill-shelter in your area where they could help to find them new homes?

IRescue452
04-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Well in Wisconsin we have to get a permit to have so many pets, and I currently am at my dust mite limit. I am also allergic and am looking for homes for my little ones, but I'd be glad to mention yours when I come across a potential adopter.:p

catnapper
04-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Debbie, I'd sure love to help you, but I can't imagine how we've work out the logistics and the transport would be a nightmare! :D Guess I'll have to just love the ones I already have.... now I'm off to wash my own comforter.

ramanth
04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Debbie, I'll trade you my dust bunnies for your dust mites. ;) :D

*shudders* Now my skin is crawling and itchy.... :eek: :rolleyes:

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-06-2005, 01:14 PM
LOL Debbie.

I'd love to help out, but I am just TOO FAR AWAY!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
You know there are ways to DEAL with your allergies. You made a commitment to those dust mites when you brought that comforter into your home. now I think that you should build them their very own special room so that you can keep them safe and sound while still not suffering too much. It is the least you can do, after all, dust mites don't travel well.

You're absolutely right, Jen. How could I even think of getting rid of them! I feel so awful. :( These little buggers are my responsiblity and I will just have to accept that fact....especially since I couldn't find a no-kill dust mite rescue anywhere near me.

I've had the plastic cover thingys on my mattress, box spring and pillows for years now. I just didn't know the comforter was as big of a problem as it is! I've really felt wonderful since I got it cleaned. I know, I know, how could I feel wonderful knowing all those poor buggers died....but I do! I'm so ashamed. :(

I am now going to devote all my extra time to researching spaying and neutering of dust mites. I will take responsibility for those I have, but I really don't want anymore - thank you very much! ;) :D

ramanth
04-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Stop! Stop!! If I laugh any more I'm going to go into cardiac arrest!!! :D :D

Rie Rie
04-06-2005, 05:23 PM
THANKS ALOT RICHARD, now I will have nightmares about the darn things crawling all over me. I'm telling my mom(Laura'sBabies) and you're going to be in big trouble!!!LOL

Kater
04-06-2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.smileys.ws/sm/grinning/00000014.gif http://www.smileys.ws/sm/grinning/00000045.gif http://www.smileys.ws/sm/grinning/00000021.gif TOO FUNNY!
I cannot bring myself to admit to the numerous atrocities I have committed against defenseless dust mites... :(

QueenScoopalot
04-06-2005, 08:12 PM
I've got the "NO VACANY" sign flashing brightly outside, socan't help you out Deb...sorry. I hear these cuties are making a comeback...http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/cimex.html I sure hope you can find a good vet that will give you a bulk rate discount on spaying and neutering them...but be sure to get them back home fast after surgery so they can care for their billions of starving infant mites. :D ;)

janelle
04-07-2005, 05:11 PM
EEEUUUUU bed bugs. I haven't adopted any of them yet. Think I'm more of a dust mite person myself.

See I got no takers on the mosquitoes.:( The do kinda keep one awake at night buzzing past the ears. Such a winey sound. :eek: