PDA

View Full Version : Final days and the vet's help

gini
04-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I have posted under Dog Memorial that my brother and his family just recently lost their beloved shepherd, Jake.

And because we all just lost our beloved Killian..........I thought I would share how my brother handled this loss with his children.

Jake was 12 - almost 13. My nieces are ages ten and four so Jake helped "raise" my nieces.

The thought of losing Jake was very difficult for the girls. So my brother enlisted the vet's help. He took the girls for a visit to the vet's office and the vet sat the girls down and very gently and carefully explained Jake's old age and serious problems in a way that the girls could understand.

My SIL told me that it really helped. Instead of thinking of their loss - they transferred the feelings to Jake and realized he was suffering and it was his time. It really didn't remove the feeling of tremendous loss, but the loss came with an understanding that they otherwise might not have had.

Jake had been a gift from my SIL to my brother right after they got married - and the attachment was huge. My brother and SIL were suffering too, so having the vet help the girls made a huge difference.

What a great vet!!!

anna_66
04-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Gini I'm sorry to hear about Jake, but it sounds like they had a wonderful vet who really helped their whole family with Jake's passing.
It's a shame more vets aren't that caring and understanding.

Queen of Poop
04-05-2005, 11:11 AM
So sorry for the loss of Jake. But what a wonderful vet!!! Our dog vet is the same sort of wonderful person. Too bad they are few and far between. I'm glad the vet was able to ease their suffering and help the children understand the reasons why. It is still very sad to loose such a good, long time friend. :(

Logan
04-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Gini, I can remember how Dr. Robinson worked with me during the time I was having to consider euthanizing Kaycee, our Cocker Spaniel. I was most concerned about Helen, who was 8 years old at the time. We had jointly (Dr. R and me) decided that a puppy for Helen was a good idea while Kaycee's health was declining rapidly. Honey joined our family as a little puppy about 3 months before we lost Kaycee, thank goodness! And when her time was approaching, he sent a book home with me about how to deal with my decision and how to discuss it with children. I do wish I could remember the name of that book and what in the world I did with it! :o But it helped me to know that I had to be honest and forthright with Helen about my decision to put Kaycee to sleep. It still wasn't easy for either of us, but I think that honesty was the absolute best policy in our case.

I know your nieces will be ok, but are sad. That is to be expected. But what a blessing to have a great vet who is willing to work with families when issues like this come up. It is healthy for all of us.

Logan

lbaker
04-05-2005, 12:57 PM
It sounds to me like there was a lot of greatness all around. It says a lot about your brother (and SIL too of course) that they would take this extra step for their children. In some families it's "well death is a part of life, let's get on with it". And dear friend, it says you are a pretty great Auntie, sister and SIL yourself :D

Oggyflute
04-06-2005, 01:36 AM
A great vet, and you obviously have a great family too.:)

Sudilar
04-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I am so very sorry about Jake.
What a wonderful vet!
I know that when I think that I was able to release my Killian from his sufferings.....it gets a little easier, too.
Hugs to you and Jake's family.