PDA

View Full Version : IS YOUR PET PUREBRED?

jackiesdaisy1935
09-25-2001, 05:01 PM
Does it matter? Not on this board, everyone here loves every Pet we have ever known on Pet Talk, We love all the Pets that have been rescued, We love all the Pets in Shelters, We love all the Pets who are now at the Rainbow Bridge, Purebred? It doesn't matter at all because we love them all.

cr7clark
09-26-2001, 07:41 AM
I think this particular question is, like all of the others, offered purely for curiosity's sake, not because one type of pet is preferred over any other.
My Bo is purebred and we love her very much. She is the first purebred cat we've ever owned. All of our other cats have been "ordinary" tabbies, and we've loved them as much as we do Bo. :)
The thing I like most about purebred cats is that you know what you are getting, that is, their personality traits are fairly predictable whereas the personalities of mixed breed cats are a puzzle at best. At least that's been true for me, perhaps not for everyone.

purrley
09-26-2001, 07:51 AM
I agree Jackie - does not matter. I have 2
pure bred Siamese and 2 ordinary tabbies and
I love them all so much. It seems though
that the purebreds have a lot of health problems whereas my tabbies will probably outlive me. I don't think I'll ever buy another purebred. I encourage everyone who wants an animal to check the local shelters they have just wonderful babies wanting and needing to be adopted!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-26-2001, 08:49 AM
It doesn't really matter, because every pet, purebred or not, has the potential to be great!
The greyhounds are purebred, but never AKC certified, because they were bred as racers, which the AKC doesn't recognize. I love the sighthound temperment, and will probably always have at least one rescued sighthound.

I'm glad this poll had the option of 'not sure,' because I really don't know what Pup is! You've all seen her Dog of the Day puppy picture now (sept. 25, 2001), wel, as she got older, and her ears started to stand up, she looked like a purebred Schipperke. Now, she looks more like an American Eskimo Dog, but black. Who knows?
:rolleyes:

Dixieland Dancer
09-26-2001, 08:50 AM
I just love all dogs in general. However, I am a dog sport enthusiast and love to show my dogs in obedience, field and agility. Unfortunately the AKC does not let you do this with mixed breeds. I also like knowing ahead of time the kind of temperment I am getting in my pet but again with training you can pretty much produce the basic temperment you are looking for. As for health problems.... Because of unethical breeders who breed just for money there are a lot of health problems in the purebred dog lines. However, if you research the lines and deal with reputable breeders, they breed to eliminate health problems. My Golden was tested against all the known health problems before she was bred as was the stud dog. If I wasn't a dog sport enthusiast, I would probably still own Goldens (I just love Goldens) but would probably have a mixed breed too! My cat is a domestic short hair that looks just like the presidents cat, India!

Eudora
09-26-2001, 09:01 AM
I honestly don't really care what breed an animal is! I look at the personality of the animal, not what it looks like(being a sweetie is a plus though). Unfortunately I can't show my baby Cookie as the dog shows only allow purebreds and Cookie is a mix. I would love her just as much if she were anything else. She loves me, I love her, good enough.

aly
09-26-2001, 09:45 PM
None of my babies are purebred. I'm not sure about Shiloh since I got her off the street. Reece seems to be mostly poodle but his papers from the shelter say "Poodle Mix". Lolly is 1/2 WH Fox Terrier, 1/4 Poodle, and 1/4 Dachshund. I love them all to death and am not sure if I'll ever have a purebred in my life since my babies tend to adopt me, rather than the other way around :)

jackiesdaisy1935
09-27-2001, 09:07 AM
Well said Aly, I was really looking at Lolly and I was thinking gee she really looks like Daisy laying down there. LOL But she has a better temperment. :D
Jackie

thelmalu99
09-27-2001, 12:15 PM
I have never had a purebred cat and it doesn't make any difference to me. I don't have anything against people who go to breeders, but I don't think I would myself because there are so many wonderful babies in the shelters that need loving homes.
I chose Elvis from his shelter mugshot on www.petfinder.org (http://www.petfinder.org) . I just fell in love and knew that I wanted him.
When I found out that his leg was crooked from being broken, I was so happy that I chose him. I figured he would have less of a chance of finding a home because of his leg. Even though he can be a little stinker sometimes, I have never regretted my decision. :)

Dixieland Dancer-Thanks for the explanation about health problems in purebreeds. I have always heard that purebreeds are more likely to have problems, but I never knew why.

Dixieland Dancer
09-27-2001, 01:50 PM
The major reason for health problems in purebreds is because of all the inbreeding that goes on for the money value the unethical breeder can get out of the breeding. This is not a problem for mixed breeds since most of those pregnancies are not intentionally done.

No matter what kind of dog we all have, one thing we all share in common is their unconditional love. May I be half the person my dog thinks I am!!!!!

kobieeli
09-27-2001, 02:03 PM
When I saw the Pet Poll question I was paralyzed with indecision: Kobie is a mutt, but Eli is a purebred, so which button do I click? Then the more I agonized, the more I realized that my inability to choose just one answer was a good thing. Like you all have said, how could someone value one category over the other? Any animal with a great personality that enriches your life is the best animal you could want!

aly
09-29-2001, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jackie:
<STRONG>Well said Aly, I was really looking at Lolly and I was thinking gee she really looks like Daisy laying down there. LOL But she has a better temperment. :D
Jackie</STRONG>

I have such a soft spot for those dogs with attitudes :) Lolly could probably use some of Daisy's confidence and maybe Daisy could use some of Lolly's listening and obeying skills, heheh!!!

*LabLoverKEB*
09-29-2001, 02:58 PM
It really doesn't matter if your pet is purebred or not, all animals are equal, and should always be treated equal. But yes, my dog is purebred. :)

jackiesdaisy1935
09-29-2001, 04:30 PM
Aly, you are so right that would be a perfect combination.
Jackie