PDA

View Full Version : Shooting sled dogs??

PJ's Mom
04-04-2005, 10:40 PM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/4343474/detail.html

How can this be legal and why isn't someone doing something about it? :(

Cinder & Smoke
04-04-2005, 11:37 PM
:(
:mad:

Well - that's one place I'll never visit!

Here's another, longer article on the place >>>

Aspen Daily News Article - "Unwanted Krabloonik Sled Dogs Shot" (http://www.aspendailynews.com/articles.cfm?id=2)

/s/ :mad: Phred

Glacier
04-05-2005, 12:11 AM
This used to be pretty common among big kennels. Things have changed. I dont' know any mushers who still shoot their unwanted dogs. More are placed for adoption now or euthanized by other means. Unfortunately, it happens. It's legal pretty much everywhere. It's legal because a gunshot administered to the right spot causes instant death...therefore it's considered humane. That's not my personal opinion, but that's what the law is based on. Legally there is nothing anyone can do about it. The dogs are killed legally and legally they are simply property. You want to do something?? write your lawmakers and get the laws updated.

Not to justify the way this man is culling dogs because I am disgusted by it, but unfortunately, there is a very limited market for older sled dogs. I speak from experience when I say that they are hard to place. Not only do I have a yard full of them, but the shelters around me are full of them. The Fairbanks animal control shelter euthanizes up to 3000 dogs a year, most of them husky crosses. People have the wrong impression of sled dogs and most believe that a working sled dog can't become a happy pet. I'm making it my personal mission in life to change impression for as many people as I can. Someday soon I'll be set up fully and able to sled dog rescue properly.

For a group trying to make a difference, check out the Second Chance League in Fairbanks, AK. http://members.petfinder.org/~AK17/index.php

Pit Chick
04-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Hopefully this story being put out will encourage people not to visiti this place and maybe put this A-hole out of business. And how can you tell if a PUPPY isn't puller, it's still a puppy? :confused: This is about as sad and frustrating as Greyhound racing. How much effort does this idiot put into finding the dogs new homes?

Glacier,

You go girl.

PJ's Mom
04-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Glacier, thanks for clarifying things and for posting the link. I had no idea things like this went on.

It's so sad. :(

elizabethann
04-05-2005, 02:26 PM
This is really upsetting to me. I am watching a show about the Itidarod. These sled dogs are so beautiful and loyal. From what I've seen, the men and women who run the Itidarod treat their animals wonderfully. They're concerned about their health and their wellbeing and pull any dogs that may be too tired or hurt to continue. The heros of the Itidarod are the dogs.

That said, this situation in Aspen is horrible. I can't believe someone would shoot a sled dog because they no longer have use for them. It sounds like this business was happy when the dogs were making them money. But now that their not, lets shoot them and throw them in a pit! Anybody who would do busiess with these people are as disgusting as the business owner himself. This is appalling. Those poor beautiful dogs! And puppies too! Who in their right mind could actually put a gun to a dogs head and shoot it? What the he11 is wrong these people?

Anybody here from Aspen? I'd love to hear your take on this situation.

Glacier
04-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Here's an update on the story--a fairly good one!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/4352799/detail.html

Lady's Human
04-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I have a suggestion for what to do with the owner of the business, but it wouldn't really be polite..................

Stickdog
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
It's funny to me how what is "A legal practice" or "within the legal limits of the law" makes one think that its ok.

Corinna
04-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Glacier too bad there arn't more folks like you who know dogs and love them no matter what. I bet there is never a bad word from the kids about you.

Pit Chick
04-07-2005, 11:49 AM
He talks a good talk, but it sounds like BS to me. Why should it take a story making national headlines for him to change his culling practices? He's just talking out of his a$$ to save his business. No one will be monitoring this guy to make sure he changes his ways, so he'll just continue.

PJ's Mom
04-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I thought the same thing, but thought I was being too cynical. It's too bad no one will be checking up on him.

Jadapit
04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I posted about this on another thread. It made me ashamed to be from Colorado when I read it.:o Aspen is another world. Those people do not live in the real world. They are so damn rich and spoiled there. You would not believe it. It really doesn't surprise me coming from Aspen.:mad: