PDA

View Full Version : Is your pet a source of comfort...

thelmalu99
09-17-2001, 11:33 AM
...during times of stress?

Absolutely. Never has this been more evident to me than during the past week.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-17-2001, 12:26 PM
All I wanted to do last Tuesday was leave work and snuggle up with my hubby and my puppers. I didn't want any of them out of my sight for an instant. They provide solace and stability, and they can crack a smile out of me even on the most stressful days! :D
Don't they say that people who live with pets live longer than those who are pet-less?

thelmalu99
09-17-2001, 01:20 PM
Even if we don't live longer, we certainly live better, more enriched lives. I'm sure of it.

karen israel
09-17-2001, 01:36 PM
AMEN ;)

Snowy's Mommy
09-17-2001, 01:38 PM
My baby knew something was wrong....I am sure that he sensed that I was stressed out...he is such a doll, my little boy.

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Snowy's Mommy ]

Dixieland Dancer
09-17-2001, 02:52 PM
No matter how good or bad the day was, the minute I am greeted by two exhuberant smiling faces that can't stop wagging their tails, my day is immediately brighter! I can't imagine life without a furbaby!!!! :D

jackiesdaisy1935
09-17-2001, 03:53 PM
Anytime I am stressed, I cuddle up with Daisy, smell her fur, kiss her, hug her, tell her how much I love her and talk to her. Of course I love my husband and Perry but the bond between Daisy and me is something special. When I was growing up we had cocker spaniels and they really were my mothers dogs, then after we got married we had two doxies, then a bassett, a boxer and a rottweiler and Kona our schnauzer, these were all our children's dogs. It was about my birthday time and my husband said I want to get you your very own dog for your birthday, any one you want. I wanted a Schnauzer and they were so hard to find., so we went out to this Horse Farm and there was Daisy, scrawny, overbite, last of the litter, noone wanted her, the kids were dragging her around like a rag doll, I told Don I don't care how much she wants, I want that Dog, so he got her for me and her papers read "Jackies Miss Daisy"
Then Don wanted another dog and he got Perry, technically Daisy is mine and Perry is his but of course we love them both equally.

thelmalu99
09-17-2001, 04:24 PM
Jackie, My dad always tells my cats that they "hit the lottery and don't even know it". He says that they eat better than I do, which is probably true, since I buy Nutro for them and the "no frills" stuff for myself.
From the pictures I have seen, Daisy is a long way from that poor, scrawny and unwanted puppy that you let into your heart and home. She's a beautiful girl, but I'm sure you know that. Just like my boys, all she needed was a home with lots of love and thankfully, you came along and gave it to her. That's why you're so special to each other. She knows.
My Elvis is much more affectionate than my Danny. Of course, I love them both equally and it's hard to keep my hands off of Danny because he's just so darned cute. Elvis, however, is my little companion. He's the one that comes running and jumps into my lap whenever I sit down. He's the one that likes to sleep cuddled next to me. He's the one that spends the most time near me and follows me from room to room. Then of course, he's the one who has suffered. He's the one whose leg was broken, we're not even sure how (I hate to think!). He's the one who was on the street. He's the one whose picture I saw on the Internet and just had to have him. Did he hit the lottery? Maybe, but so did I. And he knows it. :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-18-2001, 06:31 AM
Drake is a very sensitive, supportive, and smart doggy. He knows when I am sad or stressed out and he rushes to me, hugs and kisses me. He is so sweet. If I cry, he wipes away my tears (with his tongue!). So my answer is yes, I turn to my dog for comfort in times of stress and saddness.

Gio
09-18-2001, 07:44 AM
WIthout any doubt. If I had a bad day at work, or if I am upset for whatever reason just one look at my pet, one of their licks or their funny antics and I feel better.

When I was 18 everything semmed to crash around me and I was really badly depressed, to the point of thinking to end it all. One of my cats was only a few months old but she knew and would not leave me alone for 1 minute. I can honestly say that I mainly owe it to her if I am here today.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-18-2001, 10:01 AM
Gio isn't it sad when people say oh, I don't know why you bother it's only a cat or only a dog? I firmly believe that when we hit bottom we always turn to our animals for support, love and know they will always be there for us. I'm glad your cat was with you in your time of stress.
Jackie

Gio
09-18-2001, 11:01 AM
Jackie I agree it is sad, mainly for them since most of those people will never know how it feels to have a cat snuggle next to you or a dog that licks your hands or when they look at you with their trusting eyes... I melt every time. I feel truly blessed with my pets. It's funny to see when people who never had a pet and who often critize those who have to be overindulgent get one of their own and turn into their pet slave
:) :D

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Gio ]

cr7clark
09-18-2001, 11:15 AM
Although Bo isn't the cuddly kind of cat, she is a comfort to me in times of stress. Bo always likes to play and will follow me around the house begging to play and to be petted and scratched. I can't stay gloomy and down-in-the-mouth when I see her sweet eyes and watch her roll over and expose her tummy for a rub. :)

jackiesdaisy1935
09-18-2001, 01:06 PM
BosMom, Bo is a very smart Cat, she knows when you are down in the dumps and by making you play with her, she is taking your mind off of your problems and keeping you occupied. What a sweet, loving, smart Cat she is.
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
09-18-2001, 03:06 PM
What great pets we all have! Thank you all for sharing your stories.

Daisy is definite a source of comfort for me and my whole family. When Daisy was a puppy, she always had to sleep downstairs, and she knew it and didn't even bother sneaking up. But then one night my dad got very sick and was rushed to the hospital. Daisy raced up to my room and jumped into bed with me, snuggling and kissing me. Since then, she sleeps there with me every night. She is always there whenever I am sad, with her big droopy head on my knee, or her entire body stretched across my lap. She kisses away my tears and makes me laugh even in times of sadness. She has seen me through so many tough times, and I am so very lucky to have a friend like her.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-18-2001, 07:58 PM
Bridget, I always knew Daisy was a very special girl and your story proved it. You are right, how lucky we are to have these wonderful friends.
Jackie

KayAnn
09-18-2001, 08:14 PM
Simba comforts me alot. My dad has gone threw 3 back surgeries in the past 2 years and is going on his 4th. Simba has always been by my side when i found myself crying. And sometimes i cry myself to sleep, he normally sleeps at the end of the bed but he crawls up at my side when im crying. when im sick throwing up in the bath room, hes by my side, when im hurt, hes by my side. I think all people should have a dog. they are truely angels sent from above. He has taught me so many things. from resposibilty to keeping my head up in the gloomiest of times. Simba, I Love You my dear boy, I Love You.

Shoshonee
10-03-2001, 12:33 PM
My pups are definetly a source of comfort to me! They have been there for me during major illnesses even taking turns sitting by my bed while I slept when I was very sick. They protect me while my husband is traveling for work. Daisy stays inside with me while Copper investigates outside when they hear something. This is something they have arranged on their own! :) When I cry they lick my face. They are the best furry kids I could have! :p

purrley
10-12-2001, 07:07 AM
Absolutely - animals are so perceptive in regard to their owner's moods. Nothing calms me down more than a few kittie smooches after a bad day. And the sound of the purring is so soothing. It's the most wonderful music in the world!!!!! :)

Eudora
10-12-2001, 09:06 AM
Yes! Tanya/Cookie will always nuzzle me hwen I'm feeling low. One time I was wondering where my wallet was cos all my savings were in there (stupid right?) and Tanya took one sniff of my hand and came back with my wallet!!! I got a shock cos i didn't know she knew what I was looking for.