PDA

View Full Version : Is your pet well-behaved?

aly
09-10-2001, 12:29 AM
YES! I couldn't ask for better behavior from any of them. Shiloh has her moments (like tonight when she broke my favorite candle holder :eek: ), but she is a cat afterall. And we all know cats' fascination with pushing things off counters :) Reece has his moments too (chewing up all of Shiloh's toys), but he is an angel sent from heaven. Lolly and Shiloh are my little angels too :)

karen israel
09-10-2001, 08:39 AM
Cody asks if food is involved??? :D ;) Just joking! 99.9% he's a terrific even tho I was not a great trainer! :rolleyes: I was truly blessed! :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-10-2001, 09:08 AM
People are always surprised when they meet our dogs at just how good the greyhounds are! They are big, young dogs, so people always expect them to be wild and out of control. When we have company over for dinner, we often baby-gate the dogs out of the dining room, so they aren't underfoot. They just lay calmly and watch until they can be let out again. It is honestly easier to walk all three of the greyhounds together than to walk just Pup!
Pup needs work... she has dominance issues with the other dogs, and she barks ALOT in the yard and (for attention) when we have people over. But we start obedience training tonight, so hopefully we can fix some of those problems!

cr7clark
09-10-2001, 11:44 AM
I think my Bo is the best-behaved cat ever! She is such a lady! A list of some of her neat habits are....
1. Bo only scratches on the scratching post, never on any of the furniture!
2. Bo politely waits for her food to be placed in her bowl, never rushing the food dish or trying to get into the room where the food is being handled.
3. Bo never tries to escape out of the house. I don't think she'd go out even if we left the door open.
4. Bo lovesto be brushed! Whenever she sees the brush, she will head-butt it and roll on it and purr during her brushing. She will repeatedly expose her tummy for brushing as well.
5. Bo never attempts to get into the trash. She will tip a small trash can over once in a while just to see what is inside, but she never disturbs the can's contents.
6. When Bo gets on the countertops, she never bothers anything. No pushing pictures off, no batting things around.
7. Bo purrs while I trim her nails, gently allowing me to take one paw at a time. She's good as long as I don't clip the nails too close to the quick.
8. When Bo sleeps on our bed, she picks one place (usually at my feet) and stays there, never getting up, moving around, grooming noisily or otherwise disturbing my sleep. She will move and/or meow only when she sees that I am awake.
9. Bo takes food out of our hands very gently, grasping the food item with her teeth and being ultra careful not to get too close to our fingers.
I could go on and on and on, Bo is such a sweet natured and well-behaved feline. We spoil her as often as we can because she is such a sweetie pie. :)

thelmalu99
09-10-2001, 12:58 PM
Well......that all depends on the day...and their moods!
In fairness, though, Elvis and Danny have only been with me for about 1 1/2 month (not even). We are still in our training period.
Elvis has recently been very bad about begging when I am eating. He only started this in the last two weeks. He never did it before, and I NEVER give them scraps so as not to encourage this type of behavior, so I don't know what has gotten into him.
Danny is still learning (hopefully!) that he is not supposed to scratch on the couch. It is taking him a while to grasp that concept :rolleyes: , but I have hope for him.
Even though they have their little moments of brattiness, they are generally sweethearts and my friends just fall in love with them when they come over. They are just so sweet and friendly. Elvis is TOTALLY a lap cat and can sweet-talk (or sweet-meow) his way onto anybody's lap, even people who are not particularly crazy about cats. Danny just has the sweetest face and wins everybody over with his playful kitten charm.
Hopefully, they will learn their manners soon so Momma can have a little bit of peace! :D

zippy-kat
09-10-2001, 01:57 PM
Do my pets behave?! HA HA HA!

Last night I pulled Sophie out of a potted plant. She was throwing dirt EVERYWHERE! she's lucky she's so cute...otherwise she'd be in BIG trouble! lol

Just look at those eyes...
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/z1/hd/Rx/3l56271.jpg
Do they not ooze mischief?!

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

Logan
09-10-2001, 02:23 PM
I think they're perfect!!!

But, when my parents were here Friday evening, Butter bit my dad's hand! :eek: He's lucky he didn't get knocked into the middle of next week! LOL!! And my mom asked me last week if I really "liked" that cat?? If you've read about my Butter Boy, you know we have a ways to go before he can be considered "well behaved". But he is sort of fun to watch when he is getting into trouble, or just being playful. Its like having a great big, 12 pound, kitten in the house!

Actually, the dogs aren't totally wellbehaved either. Honey still barks too much, still chews on my living room rug occassionally, but when I compare her behavior to what she used to be like, she's 100% improved! And Lilly's only imperfection, other than the weight issue, is that she wants so much attention. She doesn't jump on people, but she likes to scoot as close as possible to be petted, and some people hate that.

Mimi.....Now that's perfection. Not one complaint where that Senior Lady is concerned. Sweet when she wants to be, and when she doesn't, she hides, so no problem!

Pam
09-10-2001, 05:57 PM
Well the kitties, Trevor and Andy, are reasonably well behaved. The worst thing they do these days is wake me up--weekends included! :rolleyes: Andy will still occasionally push something off a table but he hasn't broken anything in ages! :) There is definitely something to be said for "mature" kitties. :)

Bella is another story!! She is still chewing lots of things that strike her fancy, loves unrolling the toilet tissue roll and still occasionally enjoys digging up the yard. She also has a tendency to jump up on strangers (not something that endears herself to them) although she doesn't jump up on the people she lives with! :confused: I am chalking all of this up to "puppyhood." Actually she is responding better to "no" when she is being naughty but I certainly couldn't say she is well-behaved....at least NOT YET! :)

KayAnn
09-10-2001, 09:02 PM
I am very pleased on how Simba acts and behaves. Being abused as a pup and living in a dirty shelter for 4 months and being only 4 months when all of this happened, he turned out to be a great dog (the best dog if i do say so myself!) He does have his bad days, and his good days. But if you think, so do people!
He has only went potty in the house once and has only tore up something that wasnt his or he was told to tear up and that was a golf ball on a low shelf so he thought he could play with it. As i said im pleased with how he acts, i have no idea how i lived my life without him, and i have no idea how i ever will live a day without him but some day i will face this, and until now theres no ways of knowing how i will react.

crow_noir
09-11-2001, 01:02 AM
OMG!!! BO is the best behaved cat i have ever heard of!!! congradulations on a lucky you!!!

King is getting better and better behaved the longer i have him. his only real problem used to be jumping on you when he got excited. rather then eliminating the behavior, since he likes it, i taught him to do it only when he's asked to. w/ in a week i got him to stop pulling on a leash. and since he was an outdoor/chain dog i was surprised that he only sticks his nose to the edge of the trash, asks to go out to releive himself, and to puke. he only peed in the house once, and that was on a shirt of mine. my fault. i left it on the floor, and i forgot about me holding a female dog that was in heat. he's puked a few times in the house, but you know you can't always hold it. and now i have him going in the back room, rather than on the plush carpet. the only area he's worse in is begging. he used to lay clear across the kitchen, now he sits at our side. but we do have him taking food from our fingers gently now about 95% of the time.

so, for not having much for human socilization, i think he's come a long way. i say he is VERY well mannered.

Daisy's Mom
09-11-2001, 09:25 PM
Daisy... hmm... well she is very well-behaved in some aspects, not quite so good in others ;)

For instance, at the bottom of my street is a little shop that sells ice cream and rents videos. My best friend works there, and Daisy and I go to visit her a lot. Daisy just lays down in the nice air-conditioned little cabin and wags her tail at everyone who enters. Many people say, "My, she's so calm! Is she always this well-behaved?"

And yes, she usually is... but then there's the trash problem... if we leave the trash can down at her reach when we leave the house... we come back to.... well they say that pictures are worth a thousand words, so here you go ;)

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/sy/YF/7H/xv13098.jpg

Well okay so she's not perfect, and so she may have a few little behavior issues when it comes to trash... but I wouldn't trade her for the world!

karen israel
09-12-2001, 03:38 PM
Hey, Bridg! I justLOVEthat picture with the cucumber! What a riot!!! Cody runs throught the kitchen after his outie and sticks his head right into the trash can lid which he knows how to open. Everytime without fail just to aggravate me! :rolleyes: Oops, I said he ws 99.9% great..ahem..make that 98%-forgot about the paper deficiency!

Former User
09-13-2001, 09:23 AM
Shhhhhhh.... I'm the other human owned by Casper and Kitty, and I'm taking this comp over now for a moment, I hope they won't wake up and come and see what I'm typing, because they're not going to like it... My little babies can be real monsters every now and then (every day to be more precise :) ) but we still love them very much.

Their main thing how to annoy us seems to be doing all kinds of bad stuff behind our backs when we try (stress on try :) ) to watch tv. They go and splash their water, play with their dry food, run over us in the couch etc. and to show the true cat nature, they come and push over the picture frames we have on our living room table, and they do this right in front of us of course :rolleyes:
anyway, as I said earlier, we do love them anyway, they can be little angels too if they want to, most of the time they join us in the couch and sleep in our laps :)

Okay, better go now before they get up... :)

nsweezie
09-20-2001, 10:10 PM
On the whole my cat Scooter is well behaved, the only bad thing he will do is occasionally scratch my sofa.
Clyde is a totally different story. He is bad to the bone!! Always has been too, no matter how much training I try. He is always biting the other animals, particularly the dog. One of his favorite things to do is grab Pugsley's short little tail and pull. Pugsley is not intimidated by any other cat or dog, but she runs when she sees Clyde. Clyde gets into everything, jumps up on tables, knocks things down etc....
I have tried to mend his bad ways, but to no avail. He just looks at me with this innocent expression, stop what ever he is doing, and then continue when I am out of sight.
At this point I have learned to accept that Clyde is a "delinquent", and since I love him so very much, I would never get rid of him. He is a charecter through and through.
One other thing- Clyde will be in the middle of doing some thing bad- like knocking over a plant, and Scooter will stare at him with a look of complete horror! I'm sure that Scooter is shocked at the things that his brother does.

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: nsweezie ]

*LabLoverKEB*
09-29-2001, 03:02 PM
Yes, Sadie is pretty well-behaved! Sometimes I just wish she would behave better, though! :rolleyes:

Shoshonee
10-03-2001, 12:11 PM
I totally agree about big young dogs being calm. My Daisy is HUGE!
:eek: But she doesn't jump like my smaller dog Copper does.

Shoshonee
10-03-2001, 12:21 PM
Both of my dogs are usually well behaved. The only time I see a real deterioration in their behavior is when I have to travel and I leave them with someone else. :( I think they miss all of the attention I give them. I really treat them like they're my kids!! Since I am a housewife I'm home with them for alot of the day and I give them attn. and try to teach them little everyday commands such as "watch out" for Daisy who is so big and such a momma's girl that she gets in the way all of the time!! Copper is really the well behaved one! He's such a sweetie too! I love my "kids"! :)

jackiesdaisy1935
10-03-2001, 01:46 PM
Shones, it sounds like your pups are wonderful and by the way welcome to this board. Have you posted photos yet? We would all love to see them. Now we have three Daisy's on this board, that is great. What kind of dogs do you have? Let's see my Miss Daisy is a black schnauzer, Bridget's daisy is a bassett now we need to know what your Daisy is and how about Copper? We have two Schnauzers we also have a male, Perry. They are not the best behaved, but we sure love them a lot.
Jackie

Shoshonee
10-08-2001, 10:02 AM
Thanks! I haven't had a chance to get to my scanner yet so, although I have tons of pictures of them, I no pictures yet. My Daisy is a 2 yr old doberman/shepherd mix. She has the coloring and height of a dobie but a little thicker fur and a softer face like a shepherd. Copper is one month older than Daisy and we've had him one month longer. He's a lab/shepherd mix. He can be so regal sometimes! He's the type of dog you can take anywhere, with anyone and do anything with. We got Daisy so he could have a playmate and they are inseperable. They have made our family complete and I promise to get pictures of them on here soon! :)