PDA

View Full Version : A health query....re-my sore throat....

carole
04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
I just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to why I cannot seem to get rid of my sore throat, it started with me having gum problems, maybe wisdom teeth I am not sure, cannot remember if they are out or not, then everyone in my family had a sore throat so I got that on top of it, generally felt miserable, but when the gum went down felt a bit better.

It has now been ten days and I still have a sore throat, I went to the Doctor, who thought it would clear up, but gave me the option of antibiotics, which I took because I have some sinus problems, however I still have a sore throat, it hurts everytime I swallow, and my glands especially on one side are still up, it feels almost like there a little ulcers at the back of my throat, but surely the antibots would clear anything like that up.

I feel ok otherwise, just a bit tired,but i am always tired, so nothing too unusual there, I have no symptons of Glandular Fever, so I can outrule that.

Any ideas?

caseysmom
04-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Sounds like your doc should test you for mono.

carole
04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Maybe but I have no other symptons of Mono, no fever, no headaches, no night sweats, nothing.,just this continuous sore throat, hubby is going to pick up a good throat gargle for me tonight, might ease the discomfort hopefully.:) , lucky I don't have to talk on here eh? actually talking is not that painful, just swallowing.

Karen
04-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Do you still have your tonsils? Maybe they're infected if you do ...

carole
04-04-2005, 04:15 PM
No all gone many years ago as a child., I know I am puzzled too, I have thought of everything I can possibly think of , that is why I came here to see if anyone else had a similar thing, maybe it is just a bad virus I cannot shake.

caseysmom
04-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I think strep shouldn't last that long and antibiotics would help. How about allergies?

christa
04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
I didn't have any other symptoms of mono when I had it . . . and they had to test me 3 different times to catch it. Something about, there's only a certain time that it shows up positive. Anyway, it is VERY painful . . . and as I said before, the sore throat is the only symptom I had . . . that and being tired all the time.

I always find that Zinc gets rid of my sore throat SUPER QUICK! That & Vit C.

micki76
04-04-2005, 08:08 PM
No ideas, but I hope you feel better soon, Carole! :)

catnapper
04-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Yuck - sounds terrible. Could it be an antibiotic resistant strand of Strep? Or possible mono - I know a lot of that has been going around this year.

tatsxxx11
04-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Did the dr. do a throat culture, Carole? Sounds like a resistant secondary bacterial infection, secondary to a gum/tooth infection perhaps, Definitely go get rechecked! Did you finish ALL of your antibiotics??? You must!:p

joycenalex
04-04-2005, 08:51 PM
and toss out your toothbrush after you finish your antibiotics.

wolfsoul
04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
I would think it's strep. I once had strep that lasted a few weeks, even with antibiotics.

carole
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, I was getting a bit paranoid, I have had a strep throat before, and honestly it was so painful I felt I wanted to die, this is not near on that level, it is more discomfort than anything, but I guess there are different strains of it, I am thinking along those lines, yes Sandra I will take all the pills, I still have four days to go, he gave me ten days, so gosh that should knock it out surely, I just expected results earlier.

I never knew to throw my tooth brush out, does bacteria remain there to re-infect you, gosh just bought a new one too, oh well into the bin with that, don't want this again in a hurry.

Interesting about mono, not necessarily having all the symptons, I never knew that either, if it has not gone by the time I have finished my antibiotics I am going back and getting a swab and tests done, No he did not take a culture Sandra, I should have insisted , but thought maybe it was viral at that stage, still could be I suppose.

Hopefully it will stop hurting soon, fingers crossed, thanks again for all your informative and helpful reply's, it has eased my worries a little ., I can always count on your guys 100 percent. Cheers everyone.:)

P.S Hubby brought home some betadine throat gargle, it has iodine in it and is supposed to clear all viral and bacterial infections, it taste disgusting, but I am hoping it works.