PDA

View Full Version : Good news...

moosmom
04-04-2005, 01:12 PM
I got a call from a woman today who was referred by our local feed store. She wants to adopt a kitten for her 7 year old daughter!! She has a dog, a female Lab. I told her the kittens are in the middle of being weaned from Mamasita (that's what I call Mattie Grace) and would be ready in about 2 weeks (that'll make them 8 weeks old).

I talked to her for a bit and asked her questions about whether she (she wants a female) will be indoors or outdoors. She said indoors. (right answer!!! ;) ) I asked her about declawing. She said she wasn't sure. She said her brother made the kitten a scratching post. I told her to imagine chopping all her fingers off at the first knuckle (I know it was a bit harsh, but I needed her to see exactly what is involved). I explained how declawing can cause litterbox problems, and the cat can also resort to biting, and she can develop arthritis in her front paws. I explained how it's very easy to train a kitten not to scratch the furniture and shouldn't take long. I also told her I wanted her to sign a paper saying if it didn't work out, I would take the kitten back, and she would not take it to a shelter. I told her the adoption fee was $60, and that I needed the name of her veterinarian and one other person as a reference, that I WILL be calling them. After all that, she and her daughter are coming over to pick out a kitten on Wednesday afternoon.

Do ya think I was too harsh??? I don't mean to sound like a 6itch, but these ARE my babies and I need reassurance that they'll have wonderful, furrever homes.

ramanth
04-04-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't think you were bitchy at all. If she still agreed on it all and plans to come over, then you know you were not bitchy and just thourough. :)

sandragonfly
04-04-2005, 01:26 PM
eh, I would do the SAME thing! it's hard to trust people out there!! I think I would be a little MORE harsh than you are...I'll probably have to include an every-year contact AND picture! :D

catfamily
04-04-2005, 01:27 PM
You were perfect.:D And Thank You.:D

Queen of Poop
04-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Not harsh at all. Good on you for making sure your kitties go to a good home!! :D

jenluckenbach
04-04-2005, 02:31 PM
It all sounds in perfect order! :D

How is your transport going for the possible pet talk adoptions?

Laura's Babies
04-04-2005, 03:29 PM
You were perfect! We all have rules to live by and every pet organization has those same basic rules.. You have a lot of love and time invested with them and you can't let them go with NO rules or strings....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Sounds good to me too, Donna. Better too harsh and turn away a potential loser of an owner than not harsh enough and...well....we all know the results of that. :(

Good job and I hope it all works out! :D

kimlovescats
04-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Great job ... wish I had more of your guts!!!:D

moosmom
04-04-2005, 06:17 PM
I felt confident after I spoke with her. She didn't hesitate when answering ANY of the questions I had, so I do believe this will be a great home. Plus she only lives one town over! :D

Jen,

Haven't really had much response in my request for a transport. I think I've gotten as far as Cincinnati though. :(