PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about my two little piggys!!!

christa
04-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Josie & Brodie are acting strange.

They are usually little piggies. In the past, we free fed them, but they were eating entirely too much and Josie was just packing on the pounds.

We started them on a new schedule . . . 2 scoops in the morning & 2 scoops at night. (1 scoop is 1/4 of a cup)

After we made the switch, they'd gobble it all up in one sitting.

For the past few days, they barely touch it! They only eat about half between the 2 of them . . . Very unusual, especially for Josie to leave that much food in the bowl.

Do you think they're just getting used to their new schedule? Am I silly to worry & wonder why they're not eating as much?

:rolleyes: I am a certified worry wart! :rolleyes:

catmandu
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
They,are probably trying,to make you,worried,and to fool you,into thinking,that somethiong is wrong,so that they will receive more food.I would not worry,as Cats,generally speaking,will not starve themselves,if they can help,it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos816.jpg

christa
04-04-2005, 02:48 PM
bump?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

sarifish
04-04-2005, 02:54 PM
HERES MY THEORY MY CATS DO THAT WHEN EITHER THEIR CAT FOOD IS OLD LIKE WE BUY BIG BAGS AND WHEN IT GETS TO THE BOTTOM THEY HATE THAT AND REFUSE TO EAT IT OR THEY WANT YOU TO SWITCH TO ANOTHER FOOD BC THEY ARE TIRED OF THAT THATS WHAT MY KITTIES DO AND YES MINE ARE PIGS TOO

Lacey
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
How is their behavior? If they act like they feel fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe they've just realized they're on rations and are trying to make the food last.

christa
04-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Lacey
How is their behavior? If they act like they feel fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe they've just realized they're on rations and are trying to make the food last.

That's why I'm hoping too . . . they act fine . . . very active & playful. I'm probably worrying for nothing.

Laura's Babies
04-04-2005, 03:18 PM
What kind of food are you giving them? I have noticed mine have slacked back a lot too... Maybe it is spring fever?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I would say they're probably getting used to their new schedule and the new diet. I don't know how many diets you've been on yourself, but for me the first few weeks - especially the first few days - are the worst! Seems like you're always hungry, but then after awhile your body gets used to the reduced intake and you're not a starvin' marvin' anymore. Also, is it started to warm up there? A lot of time kitties will eat less in warmer weather.

If I were you I would just watch them and like Lacey said, if their behavior is normal, nothing to worry about. If they start acting sluggish, time for a trip to the white coats.

catnapper
04-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Has the weather where you are been warming up? I've noticed that the warmer the weather, the less they eat.

christa
04-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Yes, it's really warming up! (yipee!) I wondered if that could cause them to eat less . . . I'd say a combo of getting used to the new diet and spring fever is my answer.

Thanks guys!

christa
04-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
What kind of food are you giving them? I have noticed mine have slacked back a lot too... Maybe it is spring fever?

Mine eat Purina Pro Plan . . . I always switch up the flavors, hoping they'll enjoy the variety. ;)

sirrahbed
04-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Christa,
I went from free feeding to twice a day about a year ago. Like yours, mine would gobble up their food and still act starved. But, without my noticing much, they gradually did exactly as you describe - and leave food in their bowls. After about 20 minutes, I return any leftovers to the large food container and they wait until the next feeding.

Now, I am thinking that when the measured feeding began - they were worried they would not get more food and so just ate more than they needed - my theory:rolleyes: I know that food sure lasts much longer so they must have been overeating with the freefeeding.

Sounds like what yourd may be thinking - and now eat less because they know they get more later in the day:D

kimlovescats
04-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Christa, I agree with all the advice given here. As long as they seem fine otherwise ... don't worry!;) :D

RICHARD
04-04-2005, 06:07 PM
All you cat owners have forgotten your physiology lessons!!

Remember that food is fuel. In order to keep warm a beings calorie intake increases to put on that winter "fat".

As the weather warms up they shed the fat, when the body fat gets low as the weather warms up they eat to balance out their metabolism......it's just a phase!

rkidsrcats
04-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Ditto on the theory of warm weather means less eating.
We free feed the Tribe and they go in phases (as RICHARD puts it). Some days they eat like horses and other days, don't touch the stuff! Go figure... Lately, there's been a lot of food in the bowls for a long time.

If nothing else is setting off alarm bells in your mind - they are probably just adjusting to the weather and schedule.

But maybe......uhmm, you haven't noticed a lot of charges to Pizza Hut on your credit cards lately have you?:p