PDA

View Full Version : I caught the stray

lv4dogs
04-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks to Debby and the havahart.
I named him Jeff.
He was rushed right to the vets so I am sorry I didn't get a pic of him.
My vet is Macedon Veterinary Care in Macedon NY
He was not a happy camper in the cage but once out & in the vets office he was the sweatest kitty ever.

Unfortunatly gangrene had set in worse than we thought and to top it off he was FIV possitive.
It was not an easy decision by any means but I decided it would be best to send his lovely soul to the rainbow bridge. It brought tears to everyones eyes at the vets, mine especially. I am still in tears.

He certainly brought a lot of joy during his short stay with me. He was loved a lot during his last days of his life & I really think he knows that. I am grateful that I had the chance to help him.

Prance on sweet Jeff boy. I love you.

I was dissapointed with my vet though, as she charged me full price for everything. I'm NOT saying he was not worth it because he was, but the fact that it cost me $148 and some change to have an exam, combo test & euth. Something has to be done about the vet charges on stray cats but that will be a different post entirely.

The fact that he is FIV+ has made my priority to catch other stray cats become stronger. The trap is set again in hopes to catch a few more male strays, a kitten & a possibly pregnant female and more if they shal come along.

sirrahbed
04-04-2005, 08:28 AM
I am glad that you caught your stray - Jeff - but sorry to hear that he was ailing and FIV positive. I know that decision is heartbreaking but you had to do what you felt best. Jeff was loved before he left!!

I also think that the vet might have charged you a smaller price - knowing that you were helping a stray:(

moosmom
04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
lv4dogs,

I was WAITING to hear the outcome of your progject. Although Jeff was sent on to a better place, at least he wasn't outside fending for himself. What you did is very courageous. God Bless you for saving him from a life of pain and loneliness.

RIP sweet Jeff! Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge.

((((hugs)))) to you lv4dogs!!

kimlovescats
04-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Thank you for taking the time, heart, and money to give Jeff a comfortable and respectable passing. You saved him the suffering of death in a homeless world. God Bless You! RIP little Jeff.

Kim

Laura's Babies
04-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Gee, that had to be so hard on you. I am so sorry to hear that.

I agree that the vets need to understand and give us a break when they are strays and I also understand that they have to make money or go broke but it is so hard when there are so many that you want to help and can't when the vets charge so much! The ones Mike and I help we pay out of our own pockets ourselves too.

I have found a orginazation that will s/n all ferals we catch but there are just a lot of strays that need it too!

mruffruff
04-05-2005, 02:34 PM
It's always hard to hear that a stray can't be saved. Jeff knew that you cared enough to help him and gave him the love he needed at the end.

Some vets will give you a break on the cost when they can. Mine knows that I'm going to be back with yet another one (as well as my own crew) so I get a discount. Sometimes she will euthanize for no charge. I don't think she charges the usual price for exams either. I have to specify what I want done though. Otherwise I get a lot more than I need and end up paying for it.

$148 seems a little high. did you get a breakdown?

Better luck with the other cats. I hope the mom-to-be is next.

Mary

doolittleky
04-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Jeff. It must have been very hard for you to do. But at least he was loved at the end and didn't die alone
Melissa

catmandu
04-05-2005, 03:15 PM
And the fact,is that Jeff,died,not alone,as so many Strays do,but as your Friend,and someone who will cry,forhim.The way,that I cried,For Gem,and Karina,that I wanted,to adopt,too,from the Porch,but were too far gone.Jeff,will have a dinner,in his honor Tomorrow,and he will be a Proud Cat,because,at the end he had a Guardian,that cared,for him.But I hope,that you can help,some,of the Other Ferals,and you might be crowned,with sucess,as I just was!With...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos921.jpg

Scrappy 2,my New Friend.

lv4dogs
04-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by mruffruff

$148 seems a little high. did you get a breakdown?

Better luck with the other cats. I hope the mom-to-be is next.

Mary

Yes I got a break down, and it is all fairly reasonable, but the fact that she said she would give me a little break is what irks me as I really didn't think she did.
Oh wait they gave me poop bags for my dogs for free. lol

catmandu
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
For 148 Dollars,they could have done,a little better,than Dog Poop Bags! I would let them,know,that you are notpleased,with them,as I dont think,that they want,to lose,your business!I just hope,that they are not,the only Vet,in town.