PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

catnapper
04-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Over Easter weekend, hubby did some major yard work and somehow came across poison ivy. Who knew it would still effect someone after a long winter? He has poison ivy BAD on his leg. His ankle and calf have swollen to twice its normal size. He can't walk properly. There are tons of blisters, and its seeping badly. Of course the idiot refuses to go to the doctor for anything. :rolleyes:

What we've been doing: soaking it in epsom salts. I've been spraying the area with Bactine because it was starting to look infected. Then on friday I started wrapping it with gauze and tape. Since I've been wrapping it, its been looking MUCH better and seems to be drying out a bit. He's been taking Benadryl to help with the itching, but can't tomorrow because it makes him very sleepy, and he needs to be alert at school. Is there anything else to help him? He's miserable.

I have never in my lilfe had poison ivy. It doesn't seem to effect me in the least, but all weekend I think I've had "sympathy itches" LOL

sarifish
04-03-2005, 08:21 PM
caladryl lotion preferably gel works wonders to keep it from itching horribly for a long period of time i should know i have a nack for getting poison ivy lol but it really works and u get it at the drug store

catnapper
04-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by sarifish
caladryl lotion preferably gel works wonders to keep it from itching horribly for a long period of time i should know i have a nack for getting poison ivy lol but it really works and u get it at the drug store
Thanks, we did get that and were using that earlier in the week. We used the gel too. He said it didn't help much. He has the poison BAD. I think he should have seen the doctor Monday when it started. By Wednseday it was so bad, he had to teach barefooted because his feet and ankles were so swollen his shoes didn't fit. You'd think that was a clue something wasn't quite right... but noooooo he still insisted everything was fine. Fine but itchy and swollen, and red and pussy and blistery. :rolleyes:

sarifish
04-03-2005, 08:26 PM
hmmmm........ has he tried neosporin plus pain relief its good for itching too but he cant use alot at a time but yea the doctor could have subscribed heavy duty cream lol

wolfsoul
04-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Make sure he washes it really well! The oils in the plant are what cause the reaction, and if he still has some of that on his skin, it can spread. I hear that there are some great oatmeal products that help the itching. You can also try cornstarch. Witch hazel might help too. Good luck!

shutterbug0303
04-03-2005, 08:47 PM
I think he may need to see the Doc. I had poison a few times when I was younger...and then I got it once when I was 12 and it was so bad I thought I would have to be hospitalized. It was on my face...I got it from the oil blowing through the air!! I had to have a cortizone shot to reduce the swelling because it was beginning to affect my airways! Plus, my eyes were totally swollen shut!!

So, yes...get that guy to the Doctor so he can get a shot...in days it will be all better!

Sirrahsim
04-03-2005, 10:34 PM
a shot of prednisone would probably work wonders for the itching and swelling! tell him to get his itchy self to the doctor!! I have a major itchy rash over my legs and tummy because of my pups (pregnancy rash) and I found that the prescription strength hydrocortisone worked MUCH better than the OTC strength. Claritin might also help and is available OTC, but it about $10 for a box of 8 pills or so...

Karen
04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Tell him he needs to get to the doctor before it gets infected and kills him. It is no laughing matter, and he's not being a wimp. My brother-in-law was hospitalized more than once for poison ivy, and had to have massive antibiotics as well as antihistamines.

Wash or even discard whatever clothes he was wearing when he got it, and anything they came in contact with. The oil can linger, and cause a reaction again.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-04-2005, 06:48 AM
:eek: That sounds painful!!
Can someone please post a pic of such a poison ivy plant? We don't have that here, so I have never seen that before in my life :o :rolleyes: !

kimlovescats
04-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Gosh Kim, make him get to the doctor!!!!:eek:

Here is a good site with lots of pics .... *now scratching uncontrollably* YUCK

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/

catnapper
04-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone! He will NOT go to the doctor about the poison ivy. Sometimes I want to strangle him! It would serve him right to end up in the hospital because it got infected. Then the doctor could give him a leacture on seeking medical care while its only a little spot. He's not Superman but likes to think he is.

I have been washing clothing and sheets like a crazy woman. Towels, wash cloths, EVERYTHING is being washed after it so much as touches the uncovered area. I have done more laundry in the past week than ever before! :eek:

Samantha Puppy
04-04-2005, 08:37 AM
If he has it that badly, nothing short of the doctor will get it gone. I had it twice this past summer so badly that my face was swelled to twice its normal size. My eyes were swollen shut and I had it all up and down my arms and legs. I was so miserable, I called the doctor and he put me on Prednisone. More people come into the doctor than you think for poison ivy/oak problems.

Also, you can get poison ivy/oak/sumac in the dead of winter, if the plant is just a dead twig. The oil that causes the rash in humans is present all year long. I suggest getting rid of it IMMEDIATELY, but DO NOT BURN IT. If the smoke is inhaled, it will cause major lung issues. People have been hospitalized and even died for inhaling poison ivy smoke. Get to a hardware/garden store and get special Poison Ivy killing spray. That is your best bet.

Oh, and regular detergent won't do much... The oil clings to fibers. Get Fels-Naptha soap and wash all your laundry in NOTHING but that until his outbreak is completely gone.

And to dry up the outbreak quicker, go to a pharmacy and get extra strength Ivy Dry.

Trust me, after last summer, I am an expert.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
He will NOT go to the doctor about the poison ivy.

Print out all our replies here, and make him read them! Hopefully, he will get the picture!!

Thanks Catnapper for that link!:)

smokey the elder
04-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Poison ivy ol (urushiol) is active for a whole YEAR on "dead" roots and stems. I use a product called Iva-Rest but never got it as bad as your husband. I had loads of the stuff in my yard when I bought my house and am constantly battling it.

Ortho Brush-B-Gone actually will kill poison ivy down to the root. It is one of the very few herbicides that will even touch it. I've heard bleach works, but rinses off too easily.

Hubby should get himself to the doctor before it gets worse.

Karen
04-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Catnapper, tell him to look up blood poisoning. If he doesn't get it treated, it literally could kill him, and when blood poisoning sets in, it moves quickly. Get that boy (yes, he's being a boy about this) to the doctor. This strong an allergic reaction, which is what poison ivy rashes are, is nothing to belittle. And his reaction next time will be much worse.

caseysmom
04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
My hubby is in the same category as my kids when it comes to the doctor, I call and make the appointment for him, throw him in the car and drive him to the doc.