PDA

View Full Version : Should people be allowed to own ferrets?

Paul
02-04-2001, 03:32 PM
   People in California, Hawaii, Washington D.C., and New York City are not allowed to own ferrets. It seems surprising to me that so many Americans are not allowed to own a pet ferret.

At least for Californians, the Sierra Club is against (http://www.sierraclub.org/chapters/ca/sc%2Dcalif%2Dalert/1997/0005.html) making it legal to own a pet ferret. The Californians for Ferret Legalization has an interesting response (http://www.ferretnews.org/sierra2.html) to the Sierra Club position.

D_J
02-04-2001, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Paul:
   People in California, Hawaii, Washington D.C., and New York City are not allowed to own ferrets. It seems surprising to me that so many Americans are not allowed to own a pet ferret.

At least for Californians, the Sierra Club is against (http://www.sierraclub.org/chapters/ca/sc%2Dcalif%2Dalert/1997/0005.html) making it legal to own a pet ferret. The Californians for Ferret Legalization has an interesting response (http://www.ferretnews.org/sierra2.html) to the Sierra Club position.
I don't know why any state would outlaw ferrets. Of course I don't know much about ferrets, except that they are very cute. Do they carry any specific type of disease? If it is a health issue, then perhaps someone should not be allowed to have them, but personally I like them and think everyone who wants one (provided they can give proper care), should have one.

------------------
Deb

ownerof3dogs
02-04-2001, 04:57 PM
It makes me mad that they would outlaw a Ferret but they allow people to own wild animals like wolves, big cats and so on...

trisnic
02-04-2001, 06:56 PM
I wrote a long reply but for some reason it's gone now so all I'm going to say is this.

If outdoor cats are legal, which hunt native species and if dogs are legal, which can hurt and kill people then ferrets should be legal as well. Ferrets have been domesticated for over a thousand years. If cats and dogs are legal in an area then ferrets should be legal too. Period.

Vixis
02-05-2001, 08:31 AM
I am not sure what brought on the question as to whether or not people should own Ferrets, there are people that own Hedgehogs, Chincilla's, Rats, Mice, Skunks, Guinea Pigs, Rabbits, etc. Geez, you even have people out there that have wild cats & wolves as pets..What harm can a ferret do? For me, I don't see any reason why someone can not own a pet of their choice as long as they know how to handle and maintain it.

AdoreMyDogs
02-05-2001, 10:04 AM
I think about 5 or so years ago it became legal in Michigan to keep ferrets. I think (at least this is what I heard) that ferrets were illegial because of their possible inpact on wildlife. They assumed ferrets would get free from their homes and have an impact on wildlife species that are native to Michigan, but a ferret can't survive a Michigan winter! Ferrets are relentless hunters, they have a very strong prey drive, so they felt that native birds, rodents, and other smaller animals were in danger. I guess once they realized that a ferret would not stand a chance in one of our Michigan winters that they made it legal to own them.

I think it's fine to own one as a pet, as long as the owner is a responsible pet owner naturally. I think that because they have been domesticated for so long, I don't think they would stand a chance in the wilderness, no matter what type of weather.

4 feline house
02-05-2001, 06:31 PM
I know very little about ferrets - many years ago I took a docent class at the Dallas Zoo, and they did not recommend keeping ferrets as pets because they could be difficult and were usually not very affectionate. I don't know if this is true or not, because I have heard the oppposite from a friend who used to own ferrets - but notice I said used to own them. I have very big problems with so-called exotic pets - pets that are kept just to impress people. I have absolutely no problem with cats, dogs, and horses because the relationship is beneficial to both - the companion animal has a better standard of living and the human has companionship and entertainment. But I see no reason why anyone would want to own an animal that returns no affection. I will not name species so as to prevent stepping on any toes, but many animals that are kept as pets I feel like should not be because they are clearly only so the human can look cool, edgy, rich, or whatever to his friends. Many times the animal's standard of living is worse than if left alone in its natural habitat. This is wrong to me. However, I would not single out ferrets because, like at said at the outset, I do not know enough about these creatures (excpet that they are exdeedingly cute).

dyjsr
02-05-2001, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by D_J:

Originally posted by Paul:

I don't know why any state would outlaw ferrets. Of course I don't know much about ferrets, except that they are very cute. Do they carry any specific type of disease? If it is a health issue, then perhaps someone should not be allowed to have them, but personally I like them and think everyone who wants one (provided they can give proper care), should have one.

I own a ferret, and I think it is terrible that the people in those states are not allowed to own one. They are clean, adorable, very playful and a constant joy to their owners. They do not carry any diseases that I know of, of course they are prone to sicknesses. But the reasons the people in those states give are bogus. They are very much like a cat, what is next will they ban cats there too?

trisnic
02-05-2001, 10:08 PM
I had to respond to 4felinehouse on a few points.

One thing that you do may not realize is that ferrets are not really exotic pets as in they are not wild. They are domesticated animals. They were domesticated over a thousand years ago (sorry I have not studied ferrets enough to quote the exact number) to "ferret out" and kill pest animals such as rats and mice. Their purpose was very similar to that of cats and some species of dog. I have read that there is no wild species of ferret and that ferrets are only captive animals. I cannot confirm that. As for ferrets being good pets well I can give you literally a thousand websites and several other places on the internet where people think that they are good pets. I don't own a ferret now. I might in the future. If I choose to I'll do more research like I have in the past with my other pets.

Secondly you state that no one should own any pets other then a select few. You list cats, dogs or horses. You stated that with some animals people only have them because they just want to brag or look a certain way. This is not true. For every person who has an animal because they want to show off there are five others who have that species of animal for another reasons. If a person has a pet tarantula for example there reasons may not have anything to do with showing it off. Maybe they just have an love for spiders and they've wanted a tarantula since they were young.

Also What about people who have a sever allergy to most mammals and they still want a pet? Maybe they still want a pet and therefore they get some other kind of animal like a reptile or, if they want something more affectionate, a bird. Or what about people who live in a very small apartment but still want a pet. A rat would be the perfect choice. Rats are extremely affectionate and bond with their owners very closely. They are absolutely wonderful pets to own. So are other animals that are true exotics.

Also I just had to comment on the horse thing. I think that that was funny that you put that in there as I (personally) do not see the pet value in horses at all and I never would have put that in my list of the 3 good to own pets. But I would never knock a horse owner because if they find love and affection in a horse then that's fine by me.

I totally agree with you that a person should not get a pet and then let it sit in a cage all the time, I believe that one should completely study an animals ups and down sides BEFORE aquiring it.

I can understand your position that certain animals should not be pets, namely fish and reptiles. I know of some people who really do love with their iguana or snake but these animals really don't have the mental capability understand love. I can also understand if you believe that it is wrong to keep animals in cages. If that is the case and your morality dictates that cages are wrong then it is not my place to speak. But you know most mammals, especially ones who are social in the wild, have a strong ability for emotions and they can certainly bond with their owners. For some people sugar gliders are the best pets on earth, for others sugar gliders should never be kept as pets. It's the same thing with ferrets. You know it is also the same way with cats, dogs and horses. Some people just shouldn't own pets.

Well there are obviously two types of people in the world. Those who believe that owning pets other then "common animals" is wrong and those who can see why people would want to own them for whatever for reasons other then showing off.

The later group was usually raised around a variety of animals and taught to love all animals and the former group usually was raised around dogs and cats and told that no you cannot have that hamster because cats and dogs are the only animals in the world that should be pets. Some people (by no means am I saying most or all) who were raised to believe that cats and dogs are the only REAL pets and the only animals that deserve respect do things such as putting glue traps in their house so that mice can get stuck to them and die by dehydration while being glued to the glue trap in the garbage can.

[This message has been edited by trisnic (edited February 06, 2001).]

Karen
02-05-2001, 10:38 PM
A point of clarification - there are "wild" ferrets - the black-footed ferret is wild in parts of the American West. It is an endangered species, one of the most endangered at one time. There is a very good description of it, with some pictures, here. http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/wildlife/ferret.html They are hunters, and eat prairie dogs, so the populations are closely dependent on each other.

Lavender Fleur
02-05-2001, 10:52 PM
I personally own 5 ferrets. THey are the most wonderful pets! The only reason they are illegal in some areas is because of ignorance! Ferrets don't stand a chance in the wild! They don't know how to hunt, they have been domesticated longer than cats! They would more likely play with thier prey than eat it! Ferrets are quite a handful, but just because they require a little more attention and effort doesn't make them bad pets. I love mine dearly and can't imagine life without them now! They can make you smile even when you have had a bad day! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
Finally, people need to be more open minded. Just because some of these law makers don't care for ferrets doesn't give them the right to tell me, a tax paying, contributing member of society, what pet I can and cannot have. If they are in the proper environment, then people should be able to choose for themselves what pets they have.

Here is a link to my web page on ferrets.
http://www.htcomp.net/crystals_ferrets/home.htm

stillkcn
02-06-2001, 09:52 AM
As a ferret shelter operator for over seven years it seems inconciveable that people can be so nieave about these wonderful pets. Ferrets can be the most gentle, lovable animals of any domesticated in the world. Given the proper care and attention the main purpose of a ferret is to love the person that owns it, to make their life as enjoyable as possible. To bring as much laughter smiles and happiness into that life as is ferretery possible. Ferrets can actually save your life from boredom, and depression. No one can be depressed for very long having ferets around, just watching them run and paly will bring such joy and happiness into your life that smiles are impossible to withhold. When you are sad they can brighten your mood with not oly the antics they pull but the love and kisses they give when you are feeling down. They seem to sense what ever mood you are i and respond withthe appropiate behavior for that mood if you are tired they lay in your lap and just let you pet and love them, if you are sad they play and bounce around giving you hours of free entertainment that you can get nowhere else. They are truly Gods gift to man to help him overcome any problem that unsettles his mind. To own a ferret is to know love, to love a ferret is to know complete bliss and happiness. Only those that have never ownd or loved a ferret can say anything bad about them, the ones that object to ownership of ferrets are just trying to rid the world of joy and happiness and have never known happiness in their lives. I feel sorry for these people as they are missing out on one of the greatest gifts nature and god have provided for mans enjoyment. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
JD and the Ferret Patrol

jbgrif
02-06-2001, 11:00 AM
I used to have a ferret. Wonderful pet! The main reason we don't have one anymore is when we moved into a house, we felt it would be unfair to keep it in a cage. Ferrets can get into all kinds of small spaces & I was worried about its safety. They do have a musk smell, which my husband found repulsive, but ferrets can be de-scented to eliminate that problem. It's only been a few years since ferrets were legal to own in Georgia; the chicken farming lobby was afraid ferrets would escape & kill chickens. Now THAT'S ignorant! Ferrets wouldn't survive in the wild here, due to natural predators & weather extremes....

Sleepyferret
02-06-2001, 11:11 AM
"but many animals that are kept as pets I feel like should not be because they are clearly only so the human can look cool, edgy, rich, or whatever to his friends." I am going to try and think of that while cleaning litter boxes from now on http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Anyone who has ferrets has probably experienced panic when a ferret has found a new hiding place to nap and you can't find them. That awful fear that they have somehow
found a way out to their "natural habitat" where chances of survival are almost zero unless they are found by some human. LOL Also is the relief and delight of finally finding that hiding place. They are so smart and funny and keep you on your toes. Ferrets are the most joyous pets I have ever met and more theraputic than any prescription. They can be high maintenance, between cost of quality food and medical expenses, but for people who love them it is worth it !! Not everyone wants to make that commitment and I think many "used to be ferret owners" didn't do any research before getting one. Not affectionate? I love my dogs dearly, but there is nothing like little fuzzy ferret kisses http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
www.geocities.com/sleepyferret (http://www.geocities.com/sleepyferret)

lhg0962
02-06-2001, 11:58 AM
Not being a ferret person, myself, I am curious, Paul, as to why they would be "illegal". I have read the posts, and unless I missed something, I have yet to figure out what is wrong with them.
Of course, I have every other pet known to man (that is an exaggeration), with dogs, cats, hamsters and hermit crabs. I'm just curious as to what is the big deal of owning ferrets that would cause them to be outlawed. Educate me, please.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

marymary
02-06-2001, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Karen:
A point of clarification - there are "wild" ferrets - the black-footed ferret is wild in parts of the American West. It is an endangered species, one of the most endangered at one time. There is a very good description of it, with some pictures, here. http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/wildlife/ferret.html They are hunters, and eat prairie dogs, so the populations are closely dependent on each other.

I would like to point out that the Black-Footed Ferret is a *very* distant cousin to our domesticated ferret (Mustela furo). The domestic ferret is most commonly believed to be descended from the European Polecat. They were domesticated, like cats, for rodent control, and are still used in parts of Europe for that purpose.

There are no wild or feral populations of the domestic ferret in the United States. None. The California Fish & Game Dept has tried to prove that there are and they CAN'T because they don't exist.

The only area that claims to have feral ferrets is New Zealand, where ferrets have bred back with the polecat and survive in the wild. But the climate and environment that allow that is completely different than it is in the US.

Ferrets are no more exotic than a dog or a cat these days. They have been working companion animals for many, many years.

They are also very affectionate pets, and while they do have a musky odor (descenting does NOT affect their body odor, only their ability to use their scent glands) I personally find it much easier to handle than wet dog smell http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

Ferrets are not the pet for everyone, but I can't imagine my life without them.

Mary

------------------
Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association of Centre County
www.ferretrescue.com

marymary
02-06-2001, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by lhg0962:
Not being a ferret person, myself, I am curious, Paul, as to why they would be "illegal". I have read the posts, and unless I missed something, I have yet to figure out what is wrong with them.
Of course, I have every other pet known to man (that is an exaggeration), with dogs, cats, hamsters and hermit crabs. I'm just curious as to what is the big deal of owning ferrets that would cause them to be outlawed. Educate me, please.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

In California, ferrets were mistakenly put on the list for wild animals (they are domestic). The California Dept of Fish & Game also spread the propaganda that ferrets are dangerous animals and cite a few cases where babies were bitten by ferrets. All those cases involve not only parently neglect and abuse of the pets, but of the children, too. The rate of bites and deaths by dogs so far outweigh ferrets that it is ridiculous.

The fact remains, you don't leave an infant (or any young child) alone with ANY animal. Use your common sense.

The CA F&G also state that ferrets will form feral colonies and destroy the natural species of birds, etc. in California. Sorry, but again, there are NO feral colonies of ferrets anywhere in the United States. All reported sightings have been proven false.

Those are the main ones, I'm sure someone from California will be able to fill you in on anything I've left out.

Mary

------------------
Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association of Centre County
www.ferretrescue.com

webferret
02-06-2001, 03:22 PM
Ferrets are not wild or "exotic" pets. They have been domesticated for thousands of years- even longer than the cat. It is illegal in most states for pet stores to sell non-neutered ferrets because of the complications involved in non-fixed animals. Therefore they cannot reproduce in the wild. Even if they did get out, ferrets do not know how to survive in the wild. There has not been a documented case of the domesticated ferret ever living for more than a week outside of human care, or reproducing in the wild in the history of the US.

As for hunting, the domesticated ferret does not recognize mice, prarie dogs, etc. as food since ferrets are fed dry kibble. There have been NO documented cases of the domesticated ferret destroying or even negatively impacting the environment around it in the United States. There are, however, many cases of cats and dogs negatively impacting local wildlife, habitat, etc. BUT they are not illegal in Hawaii.

Poohbear
02-06-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Sleepyferret:
"but many animals that are kept as pets I feel like should not be because they are clearly only so the human can look cool, edgy, rich, or whatever to his friends." I am going to try and think of that while cleaning litter boxes from now on http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Anyone who has ferrets has probably experienced panic when a ferret has found a new hiding place to nap and you can't find them. That awful fear that they have somehow
found a way out to their "natural habitat" where chances of survival are almost zero unless they are found by some human. LOL Also is the relief and delight of finally finding that hiding place. They are so smart and funny and keep you on your toes. Ferrets are the most joyous pets I have ever met and more theraputic than any prescription. They can be high maintenance, between cost of quality food and medical expenses, but for people who love them it is worth it !! Not everyone wants to make that commitment and I think many "used to be ferret owners" didn't do any research before getting one. Not affectionate? I love my dogs dearly, but there is nothing like little fuzzy ferret kisses http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
www.geocities.com/sleepyferret (http://www.geocities.com/sleepyferret)

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I have 11 "wonderful" ferrets along with 3 cats. My ferrets are far more enjoyable than my cats. Ferrets "exude" life, on the rainest days they can bring "sunshine" to my life with their dance of joy and wonderful personalities!! I also work with the local shelter and have seen what condition ferrets that are "turned loose" in the wild look like.....they are skinny and staving ( some don't even make it)!! As for the biting...now mine will "kiss" you to death..lol. I truely feel sorry for all those who judge a ferret without ever really knowing a ferret, it is truely "their" loss!! They are the only animal who has a trait associated with them..."The Dance of Joy"!!!

Genia
02-06-2001, 10:33 PM
I'm allergic to ferrets so I would never own one but I have to ask...What's the big deal? This is one of the most interesting forums I've read in a while. My former neighbors owned ferrets ( they recently moved, with their ferrets, to California)and although I did not see the affection given as one may get from a dog or cat, but these guys were hilarious! They were cute and a laugh a minute. I don't understand the problem with ownership. "Many ferrets are
trained by their owners as househunters or rabbit hunters, and are therefore skilled at predating on other species" This quote from the Sierra Club really has me puzzled. People really do that? "Ferrets are commonly found surviving in the wild, including in southeast Alaska in the middle of winter. From 1985 to 1996, 58 stray ferrets were turned into a DFG facility in Rancho Cordova." 58 in 11 years? Wow! There was a wild pack of dogs (with puppies) living across from a park near my home. No ban on dogs. From what I understand ferrets have been domesticated for over 2000 years. When domesticated they can't survive in the wild, therefore there is no fear of forming packs or becoming feral. There's a vaccine available against rabies, and there are MANY animals that can pass diseases to humans. There are MANY animals that can attack and even kill humans. NYC banned them in '99, I don't know why, heaven forbid they get loose and "ferret" out all the rats. Are they afraid of rat/ferrets wars? I'm being sarcastic here but I really would like to know why ferrets would be banned anywhere. Why not ban snakes like Boas and Pythons? Please, I very interested in this subject and I would like to know (understand)what the problem with Ferrets is.

Oh yeah, for MaryMary: Wet dogs eventually dry. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited February 07, 2001).]

diane d
02-07-2001, 03:45 PM
I currently own 6 ferrets.I wholeheartedly agree with JD,Mary,Sleepyferret and Poohbear!! I love my dog,but there's just something so special about ferrets.And if any of mine escaped to the "wilds",not one of them would know how to survive.Plus the pet stores sell spayed and neutered ferrets,so how could they breed in the wild if they escaped from their homes?Ferrets may not be the ideal pet for everyone,but that's no reason to make them illegal.

catmom
02-07-2001, 09:55 PM
I don't understand why ferrets are outlawed. If the scent glands are removed then they aren't that smelly, especially if taken care of properly. Cats, dogs & ferrets have all been domesticated for thousands of years. If people are allowed to own tigers (like the one that ripped that arm of a little boy a year or 2 back) then they should be allowed to own ferrets.

4 feline house
02-07-2001, 09:57 PM
Whoa, everybody! I think alot of people need to go back and reread my post with a more open mind! I neversaid I thought cats, dogs, and horses were the only pets anyone should own! I was referring to companion animals! And I never said I though ferrets were exotic pets - I said I didn't think people should own the so-called exotic pets. But nowhere did I see that I considered ferrets to be exotic. Quite the opposite, my whole point was that I know too little about these creatures to weigh in specifically about them. And, Trisnic, where did I even write the word "cage"? You take me to task, but then basically agree with me by saying "certain animals should not be owned as pets". As far as the horses go, I have never owned a horse and it's very doubtful I ever will, but that is clearly a symbiotic relationship because the horses get food, shelter, and care (I think we all have to understand that noraml pet owners are what we all are talking about, not the abusers - no animals are safe in their hands) and the humans get recreation while riding. I guess I should not have veered off into a related subject without starting a new thread - I specifically said I don't know about ferrets. Oh, well, we each have our own opinions, I just wish mine had not been so misunderstood. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Lily_AZ
02-08-2001, 01:31 PM
If this posts twice I apologize, I tried to post last evening but apparently it did not go through. Rather than answer all the specific posts in this very disturbing thread, I came to voice my opinion simply and as briefly as possible. I registered here only to express my view on this subject. My husband and I have 8 wonderful, beautiful ferrets, who are quite simply, our family. I have had almost every pet imaginable in my life and no pet has been as truly wonderful as our ferrets. I am apalled that a poll such as this even exists and that there would be any QUESTION or DISCUSSION over the OBVIOUS absurdity of any laws, anywhere, outlawing ferrets as pets. Perhaps the poll was not intended in the manner I interpreted it to be, but, just the fact that this question can exist is extremely disturbing to me. Ferrets are not rare or exotic, and there is ample information available to anyone who would take the time to be educated about them. Ferrets are a true joy in our home, they have brightened our life forever.

Poohbear
02-08-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by catmom:
I don't understand why ferrets are outlawed. If the scent glands are removed then they aren't that smelly, especially if taken care of properly. Cats, dogs & ferrets have all been domesticated for thousands of years. If people are allowed to own tigers (like the one that ripped that arm of a little boy a year or 2 back) then they should be allowed to own ferrets.

Actually, descenting ferrets has "nothing" to do with their smell! Spaying and nuetering them is what reduces their musk smell(it reduces the hormones causeing the "musk" smell to be very little) along with clean bedding for them to sleep in. I Have 11 ferrets that I NEVER bath, just keep what they sleep in clean. Over bathing a ferret will also put their oils glands into "overdrive" thus causing more smell!! I have 1 that is not descented and actually he is one of my best smellers!!..LOL Just wanted to clear up the confusion!!

Karen
02-08-2001, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Lily_AZ:
If this posts twice I apologize, I tried to post last evening but apparently it did not go through. Rather than answer all the specific posts in this very disturbing thread, I came to voice my opinion simply and as briefly as possible. I registered here only to express my view on this subject. My husband and I have 8 wonderful, beautiful ferrets, who are quite simply, our family. I have had almost every pet imaginable in my life and no pet has been as truly wonderful as our ferrets. I am apalled that a poll such as this even exists and that there would be any QUESTION or DISCUSSION over the OBVIOUS absurdity of any laws, anywhere, outlawing ferrets as pets. Perhaps the poll was not intended in the manner I interpreted it to be, but, just the fact that this question can exist is extremely disturbing to me. Ferrets are not rare or exotic, and there is ample information available to anyone who would take the time to be educated about them. Ferrets are a true joy in our home, they have brightened our life forever.

Hi, and welcome to PetoftheDay.com, and to Pet Talk. We did not raise this question, it has been a hot topic of debate in many places for a long time. We decided to make it a poll question partly because of a radio program we heard from New York City, one place where they are outlawed as pets. If you poke around Pet of the Day, and check out the "Previous Pets" you will see many ferrets have been Pet of the Day! (Or you could cheat, and while on Pet of the Day, do a "search" to find just ferrets!) We certainly did not mean the poll to offend anyone, or for anyone to be insulted that the question was asked! We know every pet is special!

Lexi's Mommy
02-09-2001, 10:05 AM
I think people should be able to have pet ferrets. They are so sweet and fun to play with. I do not see a problem. In my opinion wild cats should not be in captivity. That is why we have house cats, they may not be as exotic, but they are just as beautiful and won't bite your hand off if handled un-properly.

------------------
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
-Immanuel Kant

trisnic
02-09-2001, 02:02 PM
4felinehouse, I would just like to apologize for my post. I did not properly read your post before responding to it. When I went back and read your post over again I realized that you were not saying what I had originally thought so I went back and changed my message, but probably not enough. Also to respond to your points I stated that *IF* you believed that keeping animals in cages was immoral I could understand your point. When I said that I had thought that you were saying that ferrets should not be allowed as pets.

Also I would be a hypocrite to say that I did not believe that fish or reptiles should be pets as I have a pair of anoles (lizards). I got them because I had wanted an anole since I was about 12 years old. These lizards are not pets, they are animals that I care for. I give them a spacious enclosure and plenty of food (live crickets) but I can fully understand why people would think that these lizards should be in the wild. And I'm fine with that.

Anyway (and this is not directed at you at all anymore 4felinehouse) I do not understand why 26% of the people on this website, a pet lovers website, do not think that ferrets should be allowed as pets. The question was not "Should iguanas be allowed as pets?" or "Should tigers be allowed as pets?" nor was it something like "Would you ever own a pet ferret yourself?" it was "Do you believe that people should not be permitted to own ferrets?". I can understand that 5-10% of the people on here may be ignorant about what ferrets are but with the other 16% I just don't get it. As someone else stated on another board why is there even a question about it, ferrets are pets and they can be nothing else. I read the Sierra Clubs argument and frankly it is filled with loopholes. They are worried about ferrets hurting native wildlife but yet humans are doing far more damage to native wildlife then "feral ferrets" could ever do. Not to mention the fact that a colony of feral ferrets is practically impossible as ferrets are animals which, generally, were never taught to hunt (75% don't know that a mouse is prey), are not let out of the house, and are spayed before being adopted. I have also heard that ferrets should not be allowed as pets because they bite. This makes no sense because dogs and cats bite too but they are practically never banned from being pets.
I believe that it is hypocritical to own cats or dogs and state that it is wrong to own a ferret, unless you believe that it is wrong to keep animals in cages.

Originally when reading 4felinehouse's reply I thought that an anti-ferret person had actually spoken up to defend themselves. It was wrong of me to reply so quickly without reading the message properly. Still I would really like to see even one person on this website who believes that ferrets should be *against the law to own* to own defend their position.

Personally I do not agree with pet bans, especially if they are new, for two reasons.

1) The laws usually encompass animals that do not belong in them, for example ferrets, chinchillas, gerbils and/or hedgehogs

2) Especially if the ban is new people will already own banned animals and they will not want to give up their pets. Some of these people will own their pet in secret and will not take it to the vet when it is necessary in fear of getting caught, getting a big fine and having the animal euthanised. I own an exotic animal called a gambian pouched rat. If a general animal law, which would surely exclude him from pets legal to own, was enacted here I would keep him. I would try to move and if he needed vet care I *WOULD* drive him to a vet in a place where it was legal to own gprs. I would not however give him up, he is my pet.

Sorry for my long winded reply, this is a subject I feel very passionate about.

Lily Arizona
02-09-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Karen:
Hi, and welcome to PetoftheDay.com, and to Pet Talk. We did not raise this question, it has been a hot topic of debate in many places for a long time. We decided to make it a poll question partly because of a radio program we heard from New York City, one place where they are outlawed as pets. If you poke around Pet of the Day, and check out the "Previous Pets" you will see many ferrets have been Pet of the Day! (Or you could cheat, and while on Pet of the Day, do a "search" to find just ferrets!) We certainly did not mean the poll to offend anyone, or for anyone to be insulted that the question was asked! We know every pet is special!

Hi Karen,
Thank you for your answer to my post. I understand that you didn't mean the question to be insulting or to offend. I am just upset over the fact that obviously there are people out there voting "no" to this question! I just wish the question was worded differently - it just makes it seem like there is a reason for us not to have our ferrets. Can you imagine the outrage if someone posted the question "should people be permitted to own dogs"? I understand what you are saying though, that you heard the debate in NY and so forth. It's bad enough that there are still states that outlaw ferrets. Like all the other ferret lovers on this thread passionately mentioned, ferrets are such a true joy. They are not just cute, they are truly the best medicine in our life. J.D. put it best really - they can make you laugh and comfort you at any given moment. I just find it sad that there are people coming to this site voting "no" to this poll question. I'm glad Pet of the Day has had ferrets featured, and thank you for pointing that out to me. I'll admit, I hadn't looked, I came here to defend my fuzzbutts! But I can't help wishing that the question of whether or not people should be allowed to have ferrets exists. Unfortunately there are states where the question must be raised in order to change the laws. Please understand it was just disheartening to a ferret lover to be made aware that your site had a question like this as its poll. I'm sure you can understand why initally the reactions would be strong and fast! Would you like to visit our home of 8 ferrets? Here is our link: http://communities.msn.com/MyNorwegianFerretFamily&naventryid=110 I hope you enjoy their photos there. Another post here mentions just what I was thinking - the wording could have been different in the poll question that's all. I hope that everyone out there that makes up the so far 26% that answered "no" to this poll will take some time to really educate themselves on ferrets and maybe even go and meet some ferrets at a local shelter and play with them. Anyway, I'm sure you can tell by all the ferret people here on this thread how much ferrets mean to us in our lives. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

4 feline house
02-10-2001, 01:04 AM
trisnic:

Thanks for the apology, but it wasn't necessary - I knew you and a few other folks had just misread the spirit of my post - it's easy to do when you don't have the benefit of facial expressions and voice inflections like you do in face-to-face conversation.

It seems to me the ferret issue is much like the pot-bellied pig issue. A town neighboring mine has recently told one of its residents they had a ban against "livestock" on residential plots so she would have to remove her pot-bellied pig. Fortunately, alot of animal lovers have come to the aid of "Eli" by going to the Hurst city council and explaining that pot bellied pigs are clean, affectionate, loyal, superiorly intelligent animals. (One newspaper feature article I read said they are reputed to be fourth in line in intelligence - only behind man, large primates, and dolphins.) This little guy had his own little house in the back yard, was trained to do his "business" in an isolated part of the yard, was quiet, and spent his day minding his own business and sipping Dr. Pepper. The city council gave him a reprieve, and the Dr. Pepper people (whose corporate offices are in nearby Dallas) jumped on the opportunity for a little advertising opportunity and threw him a celebratory party, complete with gifts of Dr. Pepper sweaters and six-packs! But the story is not over, because the vote on whether to exclude pot-bellied pigs from the "livestock" law or grandfather existing pigs has yet to be voted on.

Being the libertarian that I am, I think there should be few laws about what kind of pets people cannot have. Some obviously need to be legislated for public safety reasons, like big cats. But being the animal lover I am, I think there are many animals that people shouldn't have. But I personally don't think pot-bellied pigs or ferrets belong in the category (thanks for all the folks who e-mailed me with ferret links!).

HowieDawn
02-10-2001, 09:21 AM
Lily, I went to your page, they look so sweet. I would love to get a ferret...but there is a limit to animals. I don't want to get too many. I am curious and forgive my ignorance, but are they litter boxed trained? Do you put them in cages at night or just let them run 24/7?

------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails, Explore, Dream.
-Mark Twain

Lily Arizona
02-10-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by HowieDawn:
Lily, I went to your page, they look so sweet. I would love to get a ferret...but there is a limit to animals. I don't want to get too many. I am curious and forgive my ignorance, but are they litter boxed trained? Do you put them in cages at night or just let them run 24/7?

Hi HowieDawn,
I'm so glad you visited my ferret webpage, thank you! I hope that maybe one day you do have a ferret or two in your life. There's just nothing like them to bring some laughter in a home! I would love to answer your questions. Yes, they are litter box trained just like a cat. We have litter boxes in their cage, which you saw is pretty large, so there is one on each level. Then, we have a litter box in two of our bathrooms where they sometimes go, but not a lot. Six of my eight ferrets go in the cage at night to sleep. They go in there on their own most of the time, or they end up in their favorite kitchen drawer where I keep a blanket for them and at night I take them out of the drawer and put them to bed in their cage. They all have big hammocks to sleep in. The other 2 ferrets stay out in the house 24/7. The one, Julius, was adopted from a shelter, he did not like being in the cage or in any room with a door closed, it upset him, so I allow him to sleep in the house. He has his little bed next to our desk. The other, Doggie, stays out with him at night because they are best buddies and Doggie keeps Julius company. Our other 6 ferrets come out each morning when we wake up and they all have free run of our house until bedtime again. Thank you for asking. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

catmom
02-12-2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Poohbear:

Actually, descenting ferrets has "nothing" to do with their smell! Spaying and nuetering them is what reduces their musk smell(it reduces the hormones causeing the "musk" smell to be very little) along with clean bedding for them to sleep in. I Have 11 ferrets that I NEVER bath, just keep what they sleep in clean. Over bathing a ferret will also put their oils glands into "overdrive" thus causing more smell!! I have 1 that is not descented and actually he is one of my best smellers!!..LOL Just wanted to clear up the confusion!!

Thanks, never realized that about ferrets. I think they're cute, my husband & I are considering getting one. I still don't understand why some states/cities are trying to make it illegal to own them. IMHO, iguanas are more exotic then ferrets and people have them as companion pets.