PDA

View Full Version : My blind rescue .... poor Abby ...

kimlovescats
04-03-2005, 02:10 PM
I received an urgent chain e-mail from another cat rescue. Abby, a 3 year old, spayed, front-declawed, blind from birth, kitty was being given up by her owner. This "owner" had gotten Abby when she was only about 6 to 8 weeks old, and had been her only family for the past 3 years of her life. Knowing that Abby's life was in danger of being taken to the local pound, I called her owner, asked some questions, and took Abby in. I was shocked beyond belief when I saw how OVERWEIGHT Abby is .... I can barely pick her up!:( :( The owner brought some Hill's Science Diet Lite food, and said she had been "on it" ... but I find it hard to believe that it has been for very long!:rolleyes:

Imagine being totally blind and then uprooted after 3 years with the same person. :( :( Abby is a precious creature, and she deserves love and stability!!! She took about a 2 hour nap on my bed with me yesterday evening, what a sweet scared girl! Today she is already accustomed to mine and hubby's voices, and is always sniffing around for us! When we speak to her, she meows and comes to us. ;)

So, for those who can be happy for Abby ... here are some pics!

http://www.albumtown.com/data/160743788aa7329fe5ebd7d19383e361/23716_p306958.jpg

http://www.albumtown.com/data/160743788aa7329fe5ebd7d19383e361/23716_p306959.jpg

http://www.albumtown.com/data/160743788aa7329fe5ebd7d19383e361/23716_p306960.jpg

http://www.albumtown.com/data/160743788aa7329fe5ebd7d19383e361/23716_p306961.jpg

http://www.albumtown.com/data/160743788aa7329fe5ebd7d19383e361/23716_p306962.jpg

catnapper
04-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Is her eye weeping? Or is that just a trick of the camera? Poor "little" thing. I know you'll help her loose weight and become more active. Did the former owner give any reasons for giving her up?

Her coloring is gorgeous. Her story is sad.

kimlovescats
04-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Is her eye weeping? Or is that just a trick of the camera? Poor "little" thing. I know you'll help her loose weight and become more active. Did the former owner give any reasons for giving her up?

Her coloring is gorgeous. Her story is sad.

YES, her "owner" said that her eyes drain regularly and I should just wipe them out. She has just teeny tiny eyeballs ... I'm not sure but I think this is the same condition that some other PT kitties like Gabe and some of Jan's have? I could really use some input and advice on caring for Abby!!!

Best I could figure, is her owner is moving to another place and her roomate isn't thrilled. Also she mentioned her allergies, but if that was the case, why has she managed them for 3 years???:rolleyes: :mad:

kt_luvs_kitties
04-03-2005, 02:19 PM
She is so adorable. I wish I could have another kitty! Thank you for saving her life Kim, because we all know that the pound is NOT the best place for any kitty, much less a blind kitty to be. She looks so sweet, and she takes great photos. Love her nosie:D

sirrahbed
04-03-2005, 02:22 PM
VERY sad that an animal would come to a home as a tiny kitten, stay for three years and then have to be let go - "allergies"?? That is one of the reasons given for dumping my Dylan as an adult. Another was that he was "too fat". Whatever the reasons - it is heartbreaking to hear that this happens:mad: I hope Abby feels loved and safe very soon as I am sure she will. It must be SOOO traumatic to her - wondering where her Meowmie is??:(

Karen
04-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Poor sweet Abby! Glad she is in a safe place now. Gosh, she is so overweight for her bone structure - that can't be good for her! At least now she's in a happy place, and she's getting to know you already!

catnapper
04-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Also she mentioned her allergies, but if that was the case, why has she managed them for 3 years???:rolleyes: :mad:
Ah, the old standby "allergies". I love this reason. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Poor little princess.

nibblets
04-03-2005, 02:43 PM
She has such a beautiful coloring!
She will most likely do very well under your care if she is already responding to your voices...she knows instinctively she is in a safe haven.

rosethecopycat
04-03-2005, 02:48 PM
We are happy for Abby, because she is with you now, Kim.
Her new parents will find her.

She's precious.

rkidsrcats
04-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Glad Abby is in the PT fold now and safe with you!

Pippin's eyes weep a little, so we have to keep the area clean. We've been doing it since he was 4 months old, so he lets us flip him over and clean them with sterile eye solution. Once or twice a week - and occasionally some teramyacin (sp?) if it looks especially yucky. Otherwise he's been very healthy.
She looks like such a sweety - hope she settles in quickly.

chocolatepuppy
04-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Abby is beautiful! I love her coloring! Bless you for saving her! :)

catcrazylady
04-03-2005, 03:09 PM
There she is!! What a pretty girl! We don't care if she is a little extra "fluffy"!:D
I hope you know that any advice I can offer is always available. I learned by trial and error and so will you. I think so much depends on each cats personality that its hard to have "rules" for a blind cat. The one thing I would suggest is lots and lots of personal play. I really noticed that with Magoo he has energy but no way to release it. Sometimes he will just walk and walk. I know then that he is bored and we have heavy play sessions with toys. Stuffed socks and bell toys are the best for him. That may help her get the exercise that she is needing. If she was ignored by her previous owners then she may have simply become depressed and just ate a lot from boredom.
She is BEAUTIFUL and I hope her transition goes smoothly. It has to be so much harder for them than a sighted kitty.
If there is any advice I can offer please let me know and please keep us posted on GORGEOUS Abby.

You know who she reminds me of? She sort of looks like Craftlady's Eleanor.

WELCOME TO PT ABBY GIRL!!:) :) :)

AlleyCat
04-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Abby is so blessed to have you with her now. It's wonderful that you can take in more kitties, and special needs ones too at that. I don't know you well, but based on what I've read from your previous posts it seems like you do a FABULOUS job !!! :)

prechrswife
04-03-2005, 03:20 PM
What a beauty, even if she is a bit fluffy. I know that you will be wonderful for her in what has to be a tought time.

christa
04-03-2005, 03:22 PM
After seeing this BEAUTIFUL girl and reading her story, I'm in tears! She seems so sweet . . . good luck with her! Hope to see more of her!!! ;)

She's very lucky to have come to you!!!

Craftlady
04-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Catcrazylady, she does have similar coloring as Eleanor. Kinda the same body shape too. :)

jenluckenbach
04-03-2005, 03:35 PM
She is beautiful! Best of luck with her.

as for her owner.....:mad:

catcrazylady
04-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Oh Kim, one more thing. I have read and also discussed with the shelter vet that sometimes leaving the eyeballs in is more painful for the cat than having them removed. If she is not very active then this might be something to take into consideration. I read a particular article about a blind cat that just layed around alot and wasn't very active. The owners finally made a decision to have her eyes removed and they wrote that the difference for that cat was amazing. She immediately became active and healthy. I found out that it is believed by many vets that some cats suffer headaches and pain because of the pressures in the eyes. Even though they can't see and don't seem to be causing any harm they are causing pain. As we all know cats hide pain so well and they learn to live with it. I know this doesn't apply to all cats that are blind and still have their eyes but I thought about it because of all the weeping and drainage. Just something that you might want to discuss with your vet. Some of her weight issues and inactivity could come from pain. Her eyes aren't doing her any good anyway.
It was just a thought that you might want to keep in the back of your mind as you get to know her. It may be something she would need to have done to live a happier life.
I wish I could remember where I found that article!:rolleyes:

catmandu
04-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Abby,has such a wonderful coloring,to her,and that was Wonderful,of you to take her in.I really do not have any advice,as Princess,has glaucoma,and there is nothing,that I need,to do,for her.And Animal Rescue came,in,and Cathy,took care of Ebony,as he loved,and trusted her.Good Luck,with Abby.And I amat a loss,why these people,can have A Pet,for years,and then realize,that they are allergic,to that Pet,after all!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos831.jpg

And check,with Your Library,and see,if they ahve back issues of Cat Fancy,or Cats,and I know,that they have had issues,dealing,with Cat Blindness!And What,to Do,and How,to Care For Blind Cats!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/MEEZ5.jpg

QueenScoopalot
04-03-2005, 03:56 PM
See Kim??? There IS no escape from rescuing is there? Abby is lovely and has what's called micropthalmia. As rkidrcats said, Terramycin is good to apply to the socket area. I'll bet if she had eyes, they'd be blue. She looks like a cross between a tortie-point, and a lynx-point Siamese! Has she met any of the other kitties yet? Glad she has you now. :) :) :) She's lovely. Congratulations on not rescuing!
:D :D :D

kimlovescats
04-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I'll bet if she had eyes, they'd be blue.

That is exactly what I told her "owner"! SHe is a real beauty, and she is staying right by my feet at my computer. NOPE, not let any of the cats near her yet ... this will be a very slooooooow process for Abby!;)

kimlovescats
04-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Oh Kim, one more thing. I have read and also discussed with the shelter vet that sometimes leaving the eyeballs in is more painful for the cat than having them removed. If she is not very active then this might be something to take into consideration. I read a particular article about a blind cat that just layed around alot and wasn't very active. The owners finally made a decision to have her eyes removed and they wrote that the difference for that cat was amazing. She immediately became active and healthy. I found out that it is believed by many vets that some cats suffer headaches and pain because of the pressures in the eyes. Even though they can't see and don't seem to be causing any harm they are causing pain. As we all know cats hide pain so well and they learn to live with it. I know this doesn't apply to all cats that are blind and still have their eyes but I thought about it because of all the weeping and drainage. Just something that you might want to discuss with your vet. Some of her weight issues and inactivity could come from pain. Her eyes aren't doing her any good anyway.
It was just a thought that you might want to keep in the back of your mind as you get to know her. It may be something she would need to have done to live a happier life.
I wish I could remember where I found that article!:rolleyes:

Lisa, thank you SO much for telling me this ... I had wondered that very thing! How awful to think that she may be in pain! I will certainly have my vet look at her along with Tabitha's eye this week!:( My poor Tabitha's eye is NO BETTER at all, after the full two weeks (twice daily) round of Clavamox. I'm really getting worried that SHE might lose one of her eyes as well!!!:( :(

QueenScoopalot
04-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Oh no Kim...don't tell me Tabitha's eye is a mess too. :( Have you been using ointment in it? Clavamox alone often doesn't cut it when it comes to infections, and if 2 weeks on it hasn't worked, sounds to me like she should be on another antibiotic. L-Lysine's a great immune system booster as well, but to have the best effects, should be used 2x a day. It does take a while to see any improvement as well. I'm praying Tabitha doesn't lose her eye. :( Is it clouded over, or swollen? Some ointments can cause more harm than good if a cat scratches the cornea with a claw...that leads to ulceration then. :(

krazyaboutkatz
04-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Kim, Abby is precious and now she's in a nice safe home with you. I'm sure that her overall health will improve greatly in your care. Thanks for being able to rescue this beautiful girl.:)
I also hope that Tabitha's eye problem can be easily treated and cured.:)

catmandu
04-03-2005, 05:14 PM
I dint realize that Bewitching Tabitha,had a problem,with her eye! Prayers,are on thier way,for Tabitha,and Abby,that the White Coats,can help them both,with thier problems,The Found Cats,and Iwill add double Prayers,for Our Friends!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/030dcda8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/MEEZ5.jpg

Cataholic
04-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Oh, this is sad, but, great that she has found her way into your home!!!

Laura's Babies
04-03-2005, 05:41 PM
What a lucky girl she is that she ended up with you! She is BEAUTIFUL!! Hope she settles in fast and don't miss her other home to much. Poor girl, being blind and in a new place but you ARE a miracle worker and I know she will be fine under your care!

RedHedd
04-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Bless you for taking in this plush beauty! My Mitzi was extra plush when I adopted her - both my cats were rescues and I really admire the work that all you rescue people do. You're all rock stars in my eyes! Welcome to PT, sweet Abby! I'm sure with Kim's extra special loving attention, you'll be a svelte beauty in no time!

rg_girlca
04-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Oh Kim, Abby is such a beautiful girl and I know with your loving care she will thrive into a slim well adjusted girl.

No comments on her owner as I don't want to be banned from PT.

Bless you dear friend, for taking on a special needs kitty.

Please keep us posted on her situation.

moosmom
04-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Kim,

Poor Abby! She is SO lucky to have you! You never cease to amaze me Kim. Keep up the good work!! And keep us posted at to her progress!!

BTW, what was the poor excuse for an owner's reason for giving her up??? UGH!!! :mad:

jazzcat
04-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Oh Kim, that poor kitty. Thank goodness you took her in. As my mother always said, "there's another star in your crown".

Sorry to hear Tabitha's eye is no better.:(

Soapets
04-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Abby looks like she is such a SWEETHEART!! It is wonderful that you took her in, and I am looking forward to hearing more of her story as it unfolds.......:)

cubby31682
04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Awww. She is beautiful. I love her colors and markings. She has a very sad story. Atleast now she has such a wonderful person taking great care of her.

DogLover9501
04-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Abby is so beautiful!

How could anyone give up a kitty after 3 years? :(

Atleast she's in the best place now :)

sirrahved
04-03-2005, 11:09 PM
OMG, I'm in love! She's absolutely beautiful!

EDITED!!!!

I didn't realize I touched on such a sore subject!

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-04-2005, 03:52 AM
Awwwww, Abby is gorgeous!! My first thought when I saw her was : "ANOTHER MAGOO !!!":) . What a lucky girl she is to be rescued by you, Kim!! Give her a gentle hug from me, Maya, and Inka :)
Please keep us updated on her situation:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-04-2005, 04:43 AM
What a precious angel little Abby is!! I am SO glad she found her way to you - she MUST have a guardian angel watching over her!!

joycenalex
04-04-2005, 06:33 AM
she's very pretty. my mojo is a , ahem, "amply blessed " girl, even though she gets 2/3 c of kibble a day, and that is weight control. maybe some cats are meant to be, padded? ;)

mishko
04-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Kim, what you're doing is really noble and inspiring. You're an angel! :) That's kitty's in good hands.:)

Killearn Kitties
04-04-2005, 12:46 PM
:( Poor girl. She obviously trusts you already though. I'll look forward to hearing of her progress.

I'm sorry to hear about Tabitha's eye. I didn't realise it was so bad. Keeping my fingers crossed for both kitties.

ramanth
04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Abby is very beautiful. Thanks for saving her.

catfamily
04-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Abby looks like a real love bug.Maybe next owners will have the vet clean out the eyes and sew them up like I did for Tucker.It's expensive but I think it would be worth it.But who knows.
Your so wonderful to help her and make her feel loved.I wish I didn't have so many cats or I'd ask you to ship her here.:D :eek: :D

CiaoBellaXO
04-04-2005, 02:08 PM
What a wonderful person you are to take Abby in and give her that love back...she is beautiful!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh Kim, she's beautiful! Yes, a little on the plush side, but I know you'll have that under control in no time. She seems like a real sweetheart and I'm so glad you were there to take her in. :)