PDA

View Full Version : How early did you get your kitten vaccinated?

Palomino21
04-03-2005, 12:40 PM
How early did you get your kitten vaccinated? I am having this dilema. Should I wait and get Star vaccinated. I have an appointment tomorrow. It's going to cost me 208.88 for the whole kitten package. I think it's too much but the only one I found cheaper was on the south side of town in a bad neighborhood. I feel kind of stuck, I think Star is too young yet, I think I need to get it done. How much did you have to pay to get your kittens vaccinated and wormed?

Annie

catmandu
04-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Actually,the youngest,I had a Kitten,here was Pouncer,and I got her vaccinated,at six months,when she was spayed.Thats probably,wrong,I should have taken her,in at 2 Months,when Irescued her,from that Pet Shop,the Hell Hole,of Pet Shops!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos759.jpg

christa
04-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Started Brodie's vacs when we first got him . . . about 6 weeks old. It was about 200 bucks for our kitten plan also.

sirrahbed
04-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi Annie - my babies had already received their first vaccination when I brought them home at 7 weeks. They came from kimlovescats and she had them done for the first round. They also had blood testing for the (whatever they check for!!) and worming. The blood was about $50+, shots and worming about $25-30, etc. They also had a flea treatment. When I took them to our vet after we brought them home - they each cost about $100 for the full check-up and more worming, parasite medication and labs. Had Kim not already taken them to a vet, the package would have been close in price. So, if you are getting the full testing at that amount - it is high but not beyond reason. I think that by the time we got all the bugs from their digestion (momma had been a scavenger) - they cost us easily $400 each:eek: But then - not much cost after that!! We also do NOT have them vaccinated for FIV or Rabies. Those two are optional and our vet does not recommend them for indoor kitties. Some areas DO require the Rabies but not where we live.

Hope we see some Star pictures soon!!!:D What does she look like - blue eyes I know and part ragdoll right??

jenluckenbach
04-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I could not begin to tell you about cost (it has been quite a while)

But it all depends on what is included.

How old is Star?

Rabies is not given until 4 months or after.

Distemper (there is a series of shots) usually starts at 6 to 8 weeks, but they can start any time. After all, cats that are rescued from the outside might already be older.

the FeLV and FIV tests are important if you have other cats or will be bringing in other cats. If not, you could wait. But just something to remember, if Star gets sick, this will be one of the first things they ask...."Has she been tested?"

Spaying/neutering would more than likely be done somewhere between 4 and 6 months, so I do not know if they are including this in the "package"

ALL cats should have worming medicine, so this should be done. And can be done at 6 weeks or older.

IRescue452
04-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Wow that's expensive. We got our cat done a 6 months, this was 14 years ago, when my neighbor rescued her most recent two we just took them in right away, maybe a few months old. Our county vet is currently around $50-60 for the shots they need and for heartworm tests. When we had a petsmart vet in the area it was only $15 for adult shots an probably not much more for kittens.

Laura's Babies
04-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I took mine in as soon as I got them.. Seems like I always got them on a week end and had them at the vets FIRST thing Monday morning. Amy and Chester were about 2 months, Samantha was about 1 1/2 years old before I got her (ON a week end too) and she was at the vets as soon as I could get her in... I regretted getting her shots so fast since she was in such bad condition that the shots, I thought were going to kill her so I waitied until she was stronger to have her spayed. I forget the costs and am to tired to go look it up but the prices quoted sound about right..

I HAVE found it is cheaper if you take multiple cats in at one time!

Palomino21
04-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Star is 6 weeks old, I guess 7 now. Anyway she is doing much better. I guess what I am going to have to pay is worth it right. :-)

Thanks again for all the replies.

sandragonfly
04-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Stargratulations! what an adorable! a few pictures of her sitting, having squishy eyes looking at your camera...I know that little kind of heart!!!

to keep that little heart perky, vaccs should be at 8, 12 and 16 weeks then last at 16 months. then every three years afterwards. if she's an outdoor, give her rabies & feline luekemia unless she's strictly indoor cat, she'll only need distemper shot. total cost should be less than $100.

deworming and spaying her isn't something you should worry about right now.. at 4 months? yup! lovely luck. :)

kimlovescats
04-03-2005, 10:07 PM
My vet likes to wait now until they are about 10 weeks of age to begin the vaccinations. They then get 2 more boosters at 3 to 4 week intervals. Rabies is not usually given until about 6 months of age here.