PDA

View Full Version : Treats?

Freckles
01-29-2001, 07:40 AM
Yes, I do give Frecks more than one treat a day, but they are small, bite size treats.

*BaSim*
01-29-2001, 11:46 AM
My dog Simba gets about 5 snacks a day. Because we have a little boy named Charlie that comes over and everytime he comes over he gives him a treat. And when we go out for walks around the neighborhood people stop and ask to pet him and of corse ask if he does tricks so we have to "show off" a little bit. Simba is an overweight dog he is about 5 pounds over weight but as long as he is happy and healthy there nothing rong with being chubby!!!

------------------
*.:;BaSim;:.*

ownerof3dogs
01-29-2001, 03:08 PM
I give my dogs more than one treat a day because they deserve it

Genia
01-29-2001, 06:58 PM
Jeffrey's previous owners gave him a treat when he peed and pooped outdoors. It's become a ritual, go for a walk, go to the pantry. So that's at least 2 treats a day. Then they get a bedtime treat. Then, of course, sometimes I look at them and they are just so adorable and precious I can't stand it so I give them a treat (I'm such a wimp http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif) Luckily they are not overweight, Jeffrey at 40lbs and Bandit at 14.

4 feline house
01-29-2001, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
It can also be a good taming tool.

Yes, I found this out when I fostered some feral kittens. Their mother was dying, and even though they were weaned, the woman whose backyard they commandeered wanted them gone. Me and a friend rounded up the kittens, I took them home and realized they were extremely malnourished (one was othing but bones). Since there were four of them and they had never felt a human touch before, I thought it best to take the worst to the vet. Cats are very peculiar in that once they feel like they are dying, they stop eating. Once that happens usually nothing will save them. The vet said he thought this kitten was days away from that point, and to save him (and his brothers and sister) I was going to have to force feed. He said to make it really good, like some chicken and rice cooked and put in a blender. So I did that. It took a couple of sessions, but Chili finally started licking a tongueful here and again off the spoon I offered him. Each time he ate more, and then I started on the others, even though they had been eating the food I had for them. It only took a few days before they were associating me with this good stuff, and they soon started trusting me and venturing out of their box in the bathroom. After several weeks they had all gained several pounds, and one by one they were tamed and adopted, except for Hissy face who never did completely tame (he would sleep with me at night, and he contracted pneumonia during his time with me and actually got in my lap then). Hissy eventually went to a home that didn't mind that they only saw him at night on their beds, and all the others went to good people who never knew they were completely wild just a few weeks earlier.

RachelJ
01-30-2001, 08:18 AM
Wow, 4 feline house, what a neat story! Thanks for being such a caring person.

Pam
01-30-2001, 01:44 PM
I agree with Rachel on that one! Great story 4 Feline House. You are a caring person indeed!! I love that name....Hissy!!

My cats only get one treat a day and that is usually right after the humans eat dinner. They come into the kitchen and sit in the same spot every night at just about the same time and wait!! They don't need watches! If I am too slow, Trevor starts to meow rather loudly. If you saw him in person you would cut out the treats but I just can't!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Genia.....congratulations on such a slim, trim Pug. Bandit sounds positively lanky!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

ardnaxela
01-31-2001, 07:14 PM
my dog absolutely loves treats, but my cat on the other hand is a little different