PDA

View Full Version : the Pope has passed away

sammy101
04-02-2005, 02:16 PM
:( :eek: :( :(

Pope John Paul II dies

Roman Catholic church's leader
succumbs after lengthy illness
In his final public appearance Wednesday, Pope John Paul II gave a blessing from his studio window overlooking St. Peter's square at the Vatican.
BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 2:54 p.m. ET April 2, 2005VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II died Saturday after a prolonged illness, the Vatican announced to the world. He was 84 and had led the Roman Catholic church for 26 years — the longest term of any modern pope.

The pontiff died in his Vatican chambers after his health quickly deteriorated in recent weeks.

Before the pope's death, thousands of pilgrims had gathered on St. Peter’s Square to stand vigil, many tearfully gazing up at his third-floor window. The faithful around the world joined them in prayer.

'Placid and serene' before death
Vatican Cardinal Achille Silvestrini visited John Paul Saturday morning, accompanied by another cardinal, Jean-Louis Tauran.

“I found him relaxed, placid, serene. He was in his bed. He was breathing without labor. He looked like he lost weight,” Silvestrini said.

He said the when he and Tauran came into the room, the pope seemed to recognize them.

“The pope showed with a vibration of his face that he understood, indicating with a movement of his eyes. He showed he was reacting,” he added.

Around the world, people of different faiths had joined in prayer for John Paul.

“Catholics, fellow Christians, ... will be praying for him at this time as he comes toward the end of his extraordinary and wonderful life,” said Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor, the archbishop of Westminster and one of the most senior Catholic clerics in Britain, speaking to reporters outside London’s Westminster Cathedral.

'Man of peace'
In France, Muslim leader Dalil Boubakeur said Muslims had been praying for the pope, whom he described as a “man of peace” whose stature was a determining factor for change in the world.

In the pope’s home country, Poles gathered at churches as word spread Friday morning of his deteriorating condition.

“I want him to hold on but it is all in God’s hands now,” said 64-year-old Elzbieta Galuszko at the church where the pope was baptized in Wadowice, southern Poland. “We can only pray for him so he can pull through these difficult moments.”

The pope received the sacrament for the sick and dying on Thursday evening. Formerly called the last rites, the sacrament is often misunderstood as signaling imminent death. It is performed both for patients at the point of death and for those who are very sick — and it may be repeated.

Hospitalized twice last month following two breathing crises, and fitted with a breathing tube and a feeding tube, John Paul had become a picture of suffering.

His 26-year papacy was marked by its call to value the aged and to respect the sick, subjects the pope turned to as he also battled Parkinson’s disease and crippling knee and hip ailments.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3305285/

may he rest in peace:(

Kirsten
04-02-2005, 02:23 PM
I just see the news on tv, all the channels interrupted their programs here for the breaking news.

I'm not Catholic, actually I don't have any religion at all, but it's very touching to see how the last days of this man on earth unite the world. I never realized that the Pope means so much to so many people.

Personally, I think it's a blessing that his suffering is over now. It was easy to see how terribly sick he was. Now he's at peace.

Kirsten

Lexi_Lover
04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
May the Pope always rest in peace. He is now, at the side of God, still looking down on us all. He has been through so much, being hit by a car at 3, being shot, and being through multiple surgeries. This man brought peace to the world and showed us all what love can be!

He passed without pain and with God by his side. He will live on forever and always! :( May you watch is all, you wonderful man! I believe!

Rest in Peace! :(

The name of The Father, and of The Son, and The Hly Spirit, Amen! :(

slick
04-02-2005, 02:39 PM
:( :( :( I think this is the time we should STOP our busy lives and say a silent prayer. Another truly wonderful human being has made the journey home.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-02-2005, 02:57 PM
John Paul has stepped through the doorway into eternity!

What a welcome home party must be going on in Heaven right now.

John Paul, you will be missed by people of all faiths. Now, you are well and in no pain and with the Lord you love so well. I hope to meet you some day!

Laura's Babies
04-02-2005, 03:37 PM
I had not heard! I was expecting it but I still feel like crying. He has had that look of pending death for several weeks so I knew it wouldn't be long.

Yes, what a celebration that must be going on in Heaven to welcome him Home. May God accept him by his side and give him his own throne to sit on!

rg_girlca
04-02-2005, 06:21 PM
He was a great man and will be a tough act to follow.

May he Rest in Peace.

chocolatepuppy
04-02-2005, 07:45 PM
May he rest in Peace. :(

Buddy Blaze Lover
04-03-2005, 07:07 PM
This was so tough on me...Pope John Paul was such a special, holy man!! He has touched so many lives of all faiths! We should be rejoicing as he enters his Heavenly home and not crying as so many of us...what an example to the world!! May you always be at peace, Pope John Paul II! We will miss you!!:(