PDA

View Full Version : kites

RICHARD
04-02-2005, 02:55 AM
who flies kites???

May 5 is Boy's day in Japan. The custom is to fly a kite on that day! I don't remember the exact detail of this holiday but...

Any kite fans out there???:D

moosmom
04-02-2005, 08:14 AM
I LOVE flying kites!! The windier the better! I haven't flown one since I was in high school, when I used to fly them all the time on the weekends. What a great tradition.

Laura's Babies
04-02-2005, 09:42 AM
I did when I was a kid........ :( But that was so long ago, I don't remember......

Josh4Colts
04-02-2005, 10:04 AM
i can never get them to stay up.:p

IRescue452
04-02-2005, 10:15 AM
when I was younger I used to all the time, I haven't flown one in a few years, its relaxing though, good fun

slick
04-02-2005, 10:19 AM
I've never experienced kite flying myself, but many times I've been told to "go fly a kite!" :rolleyes: :D

Barbara
04-02-2005, 10:46 AM
I love flying kites. I used to have a 200 yd line when I was a child (They aren't allowed that long :(). My dad used to make the kites himself- we didn't buy it.

When I was in Washington some years ago, we bought a kite and flyed it at the beach. There was a kite festival and there were the most gorgeous kites. For me it was the first time I had one with these steering lines (I hope I express myself right). Unfortunately we broke it during that holiday but it was so much fun:)

If I lived at a place like that- lots of wind and space- I would be flying kites all the time.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-02-2005, 10:56 AM
We all love kites here! My huuby and kids used to play with a "sprts-kite": with 2 steering lines. They could make it turn sin the air several times!!

moosmom
04-02-2005, 01:11 PM
but many times I've been told to "go fly a kite!"

Slick,

Me too, but not exactly in THOSE words! :rolleyes: :p

Harmanie
04-02-2005, 01:15 PM
I do! I do! I do! I didn't know that May 5 was a holiday in Japan too! I knew that it was a holiday in Mexico. Its called Cinco de Miyo--hope I spelled that right-- It means May 5!:) Its the celebration of their independence. Thats kinda cool. I remeber on my 6 birthday up in Maine a person gave me a Dragon kite and let me fly it off a deck at Old Orchard Beach. Its so ironic that May 5 is my b-day and thats the holiday that you were talking about!:) I guess its true that you learn something new every day!

RICHARD
04-03-2005, 12:43 AM
http://mothra.rerf.or.jp/ENG/Hiroshima/Festivals/42.html

My brother has a kite in his truck at all times!!!!

I used to fly a kite off the dam that over looked a golf course.
I'd take my dog and we''d walk the length of the dam flying a kite.

One day the kite went down on the golf course and I was so embarassed that I dropped the string and walked away...

I am sure that didn't make the golfers happy....;)

--------------------------------

I was wrong....On boy's day you fly a CARP!!!!!;)