PDA

View Full Version : Do you feed you pet table scraps?

LindysMomma
07-16-2001, 10:55 AM
Oh yeah....she didn't gain 10 pounds eating dog food.... :) http://gurlpages.com/hiturff/lindy-smaal.jpg

jackiesdaisy1935
07-16-2001, 12:13 PM
I have to admit we give Daisy and Perry some toast in the morning, maybe a little bite of cookie, and a little something at dinner.
But mostly they eat 1/4 can of Natures Receipe, lamb and rice each in the morning and in the afternoon they eat dry lamb and rice. Inbetween they eat doggie treats.
Jackie

thelmalu99
07-16-2001, 01:14 PM
I hope nobody thinks I'm horrible, but I really try to discourage begging and reaching into my plate, so I don't feed Charlie table scraps. The only "human food" I ever give him is tuna fish whenever I open a can. Then he and Yertle both get a little bit.
Charlie does get kitty treats, though!
:)

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

ilovehounds
07-16-2001, 01:49 PM
Well I use to feed Hannah and Copper the table scraps BUT Hannah had gained 15 pounds so I put a stop to that :)

I also don't like having dogs begging and jumping at the table my mothers shelties do that and I think its a bit annoying so Hannah was taught to sit and be polite :) I still give her my veggies but nothing else. Copper still gets scraps on his supper because he has been underwieght since I got him.

AdoreMyDogs
07-16-2001, 02:22 PM
Thelmalu, I fully understand your desire for an animal that does not beg and try to eat off your plate. I have never liked being watched when I eat, even if it's by a dog or cat. I find it rude. Graham never begs because I never give him any table scraps (well, very rarely) and he knows that he is not allowed to beg, so he never does. Cassie has bad manners sometimes and she begs no matter what we are eating/drinking. I could be drinking a glass of water and she sits down staring at me as close as she can...then she starts to wimper (as if her pug breathing was not enough to make her presence known) :D

I don't give my dogs treats unless they are in training, and then I break the treats into tiny, itty bitty pieces so they don't get tummy aches. What they lack in treats, they get extra in quality food and lots of love.

My moms cats have bad manners also, they have complete free roam of the entire house, including the counters and the dining table. Her cats will jump onto the table while people are eating and paw at the food. I find that VERY rude and I always correct them when I am over at her house and they pull that on me. They were never corrected as kittens, so of course they would do that. If I ever get a cat I will set boundries right away because I don't have as much tolerance with an animal jumping onto the table and batting at someones food when they are trying to eat!!!

Sudilar
07-16-2001, 03:14 PM
Can you guess my answer? LOL
Yes, Killian eats table scraps and also people food prepared for him.
Yes, so does Shiloh. How can I give it to Kill and not to her?
Sue

Pam
07-16-2001, 07:56 PM
I have made the mistake of letting Trevor, my cat, lick the inside of my yogurt cup when it's almost gone. Now I can't eat a yogurt in peace in my house to save my life! Andy doesn't like yogurt at all and Bella wants anything that Trevor is eating! :D I have tended to give Bella more people food than I ever would think of giving to the cats. I don't feed her at the table because I don't want her to beg, but I have been giving her little things away from the table. She likes apples and bananas so far. Actually I think she figures anything that's good enough for me is good enough for her!

K9karen
07-16-2001, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately, yes! Bad Karen! :(

shipugtzus
07-16-2001, 09:33 PM
well so do I,am as guilty as the rest of you although they patiently wait until we are finished eating and do not beg,They have been taught if they beg,they don't get anything,but if they wait and be patient they will get a bite.This is only after they have had their regular meal of Pedigree though.Sandy

4 feline house
07-16-2001, 10:54 PM
I just love the responsible pet owning going on here. "We don't want rude dogs", "I don't like dogs to beg". This is great. To me a bratty dog or cat is just as obnoxious and unpleasant as a bratty kid. Pets, just like children, need to be taught manners.

Anyway, back to the subject - Coo has absolutely no interest in any kind of people food, Big only likes tuna (but they usually just get the juice). Peaches likes the tuna and the deli ham and turkey we always have on hand for sandwiches. Pepper, on the othr hand, lives for her little bites of people food (always served in the kitchen during preparation, never at the table). My old guy Zebo, at the rainbow bridge five years now, knew he could lick my plate when I was done with it. He would always sit, a polite distance, and wait for me to finish. He knew as soon as I put it on the floor it was his.

Daisy's Mom
07-17-2001, 01:16 AM
Okay, okay, I admit it! Daisy gets table scraps. But really, I can't say no to those hound eyes! I just can't! I'm not a bad Mommy, really I'm not!

crow_noir
07-17-2001, 02:22 AM
we give king table scraps as long as it is meat, veggies, or fruit. he eats his meal first, then sits and waits. until a month ago he'd lay clear across the room after he was done eating and until we were done. however, w/ us constanty inviting him over he doesn't wait for invitation anymore, because he knows he is welcome at our side.

(we have to be right next to him for him to eat, so we acomplish two things by feeding him at our dinner time and putting his bowl at the table. he'll actually go for a few days w/ out eating if you won't stand or sit next to him while he eats. and the occasional petting while doing so is much appreciated, and sometimes even asked for. silly rescue pup.)

thelmalu99
07-17-2001, 11:07 AM
Whew! I'm glad nobody called me a horrible mom for not giving Charlie scraps. People will come over and say how surprised they are that we can just sit in the living room eating and Charlie won't try to get in our plates. That makes me so proud! :D
But I do understand what you all are saying about pups that learn to just sit there patiently and wait until everyone's done. My Aunt's dog, Teela is SOOO polite. She gets scraps, but she will wait until you give them to her. You can put a piece of meat on the floor and she won't touch it until you say OK. My cousin's dog Tasha is the same. I find that amazing! :cool:

auggie
07-17-2001, 06:30 PM
thelmalu, my Cats never tried to get into my food.Imagine my surprise one Day, when I caught Auggie on Top of the Table licking the Parmesan cheese of my Pizza. Now every time I have Italian food I give her half-tablespoon in her own plate.

Logan
07-17-2001, 08:09 PM
Mine only get table scraps mixed with their food (the dogs, that is). And they have learned to lie at our feet rather than drooling all over us!

Mimi has no interest in table scraps, but Butter LOVES dairy products. If I have cheese, eggs or milk out, he is all over me til I give him some!!

Logan

Helen
08-02-2001, 10:21 AM
Sadie won't eat people food, so never begs, but she always sits at the table with us, always on the same dining chair. She does of course think she's another person, so naturally she joins us for meals! She'd join in the conversation if she could, I'm sure, and certainly understands what we're saying.

cr7clark
08-02-2001, 11:33 AM
I give Bo table scraps only when she begs for them, and since she is so polite and only begs for meat, I don't mind giving her a tiny bite or two of my hamburger, chicken, ham slice, etc. I will only give her what she will eat.
Table scraps for pets is like candy for kids; it's OK in moderation and the recipient needs to understand that it's a privilege, not a right! It's unhealthy for a pet to receive it's entire diet from table scraps, just like it's unhealthy for a child to receive it's entire diet from candy (or favorite foods). I also agree strongly with the folks who said that a bratty animal is just as bad as a bratty kid. :mad: Without discipline in the lives of both, table scraps/candy are not perceived as the gifts of love they really are.

Ann
08-02-2001, 04:43 PM
heres a pic of my Oliver begging (as usual) at breakfast:

http://taintedthoughts.com/peachkin/pics/ollie-begging.jpg

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Ann ]