View Full Version : URGENT need to catch cat

lv4dogs
04-01-2005, 09:58 AM
As some may know from my previous post there is an injured stray cat at my house.
He is friendly but is a bit shy and has never hissed or swated but because he is scared of the crate & I don't know his history I want to be careful with him. I don't want to get scratched or bit.

He runs everytime I move the crate, even the slightest movement of the crate makes him bolt.
I have called everywhere in my area & no one has a have-a-heart for rent or sale.
He won't eat in the crate, I tried that.

Should I just chance it & shove him in the crate?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
His wounds are getting a lot worse & I really want top get him to the vet ASAP. I was oh so close to getting him last night a few times. Hopefully I can today but any suggestions are welcome! Please help.
Please send this guy some thoughts so he co-operates & gets the help he needs.

moosmom
04-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Do NOT attempt to shove him in the crate. You WILL get bit. I learned the hard way when I tried to shove a pregnant female in a carrier while she was gulping down sardines. Since you don't know his history, the last thing you want is to get bitten. Rabies shots are NOT fun.

Call the Humane Society, ASPCA or shelter in your area to see if they have a Have-A-Heart trap you can rent. Usually they ask for a refundable $20 (in case you don't return the trap).

Do not feed him for at least 24 hours before trapping him. This way he'll be hungry.

Place the trap in the same spot where he's been feeding. Cover it with an old blanket or towel. Put a plate of sardines in the back of the trap. Take dead leaves or grass and cover the grates on the bottom of the trap, including the trip plate. Put a trail of sardines leading to the trap. Do this in the evening, at dusk, as that's when cats generally go looking for food.

Once in the trap, keep it covered so he'll calm down. It's normal for the cat (a feral) to thrash about the trap. Once you cover it, he'll calm down.

Good luck!!

lv4dogs
04-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Do NOT attempt to shove him in the crate. You WILL get bit. I learned the hard way when I tried to shove a pregnant female in a carrier while she was gulping down sardines. Since you don't know his history, the last thing you want is to get bitten. Rabies shots are NOT fun.

Call the Humane Society, ASPCA or shelter in your area to see if they have a Have-A-Heart trap you can rent. Usually they ask for a refundable $20 (in case you don't return the trap).

Do not feed him for at least 24 hours before trapping him. This way he'll be hungry.

Place the trap in the same spot where he's been feeding. Cover it with an old blanket or towel. Put a plate of sardines in the back of the trap. Take dead leaves or grass and cover the grates on the bottom of the trap, including the trip plate. Put a trail of sardines leading to the trap. Do this in the evening, at dusk, as that's when cats generally go looking for food.

Once in the trap, keep it covered so he'll calm down. It's normal for the cat (a feral) to thrash about the trap. Once you cover it, he'll calm down.

Good luck!!

Thanks but I have called ALL shelters, I even called farm places & pet stores that sell traps. There is NO ONE within 40 miles of me that has a have-a-heart for rent, loan or sale!!!!

lv4dogs
04-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Oh I forgot to add that I tried the yummy foods with him, he hates canned food, hates tuna, he hates meat scraps but he LOVES the innova dry I feed him.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Donna, what size trap would you say she needs?

check this site and tell me which one you think is best.

http://www.growersupply.com/live.html

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Aubuchon Hardware Store #014
Hannaford Plaza
262 Saratoga Road
Rt. #50
Glenville, NY 12302
518-399-4003

They are 32 miles from Macedon, NY. They sell Havahart traps online, maybe they have some in stock? Give them a call and let me know.

lv4dogs
04-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Gosh I've never heard of the town or the business but thank you I will call in just a moment.
Do you know what size I should ask for or they should know.

lv4dogs
04-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I just looked and they are near Schenectady, which is 194 miles from me!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Oops, there were two Glenvilles on my map. Guess I picked the wrong one. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Ok, try this. According the the Home Depot website, they have them, so it's just a matter of finding one nearby that has them in stock. Here are the three closest to you.

1 Victor
7600 Commons Blvd
Victor, NY 14564
(585)223-2510
Directions

2 Penfield/Rochester
750 Panorama Trails So
Rochester, NY 14625
(585)385-4090
Directions

3 Henrietta
770 Jefferson Road
Henrietta, NY 14623
(585)427-0390
Directions

If they don't have them in stock, let me know because there are more Home Depots not far from these.

moosmom
04-01-2005, 11:17 AM
36 x 10 x 12 with the double doors. The single door can be a pain. With the double door, you'll be able to feed and water the cat without having to open the trap door. When you look at them, make sure the second door is amesh door with a handle on the top. You simply pull it up. That's the one you want. If not, get the single door. If the cat is feral, the vet will have to medicate him in order to examine and treat him anyway. The model number you want is 1079.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
The model number you want is 1079.

Donna, the model 1045 is the same as the 1079 but has 2 doors, would that be the better one?

QueenScoopalot
04-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Donna, the model 1045 is the same as the 1079 but has 2 doors, would that be the better one?
Model 1045 is not a good trap. The trigger is in the middle, and if the cat hits it, and backs out too fast, the door comes down so hard, it's capable of breaking a neck. :eek: The one door unit may be annoying to use, but there's less chance of the cat getting hurt in it, as it has to go further in. I use catnip just past the trigger, and dampened to prevent it from blowing outside of he trap. Put the nip down on the ground, and place the trap over it so nip's just past the trigger. The cat heads in 99% more in favor of catnip than food when it comes to tom cats! ;) Tru-Catch traps are terrific, and silent. I don't think I'd cover the trap as Moosmom suggested seeing as there's only one cat to contend with. The cover is apt to spook him more at first. Cover completely after he is contained though. Good luck, and keep us posted. ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Model 1045 is not a good trap. The trigger is in the middle, and if the cat hits it, and backs out too fast, the door comes down so hard, it's capable of breaking a neck. :eek:
:eek: :eek: is right, Jan! Thanks so much for the tip! :)

moosmom
04-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Yes, as long as it has 2 doors.

catmandu
04-01-2005, 12:27 PM
The part,about the shoving,is right,as I had,to push Scrappy 2,into the carrier,that the Animal Welfare brought,and she fought back.Next Time,I will usde,the case,that she is used to,with her blanket,in,it.That way,if she wants,to stay,in the carrier,there will be no rush,to get her out! And Good Luck,with that Feral Cat,and I hope,that you can helpp him out.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2005, 12:29 PM
I just talked to Sue and she is going to be picking up a 1079 model when she leaves work today, so hopefully he'll be in custody and on the way to recovery real soon! :D

lv4dogs
04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone but I just talked to Debby. we have a 1079 model & it will be set up by 3 today.
Thank you!

Keep your paws crossed!

moosmom
04-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Great job everyone!! Here's hoping this boy will be on his road to recovery soon!!

QueenScoopalot
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Fingers, and paws crossed for a successful capture. never refer to the trap as a "trap" while the cat's in earshot...call it "The Silver Diner" and you'll get him! :D Catnip is the paws down best bait for tom cats, hope you have some. ;) I once trapped a tom cat by first trapping the female he was after (she was in heat). I transfered her into a carrier, put the carrier with the yowling female behind the trap, and had him in 30 seconds lol! Both of their active sex lives ended the next day. ;) :D