PDA

View Full Version : Are your pets afraid of storms?

PJ's Mom
03-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Out of the two dogs and two cats, Barclay is the only one afraid of thunder. He runs and hides under my bed until the storm has passed. We had a very quick storm today and he just about killed me coming down the stairs to hide. :rolleyes:

Are your pets afraid of storms?

kt_luvs_kitties
03-31-2005, 11:18 PM
My kitties dont seem to afraid of storms, just really curious and their hair stands up and they get very clingy and needy. They only act frightened if the thunder bangs really hard. Poor Barclay:(

cocker_luva
03-31-2005, 11:22 PM
jesse isnt afraid of any loud noises. she lived at my dads construction shop for 2 weeks before she was presented on christmas morning. while this was happening we were finished with our house but not with our lot. many machinery and construction equipment came through and she loved all the attention she got for bein the "cutest lil' one around'!

Oggyflute
04-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Neither of my two are afraid of storms or firworks. Flute does get startled at loud noises though, but once she see's what it is quickly settles down.

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Tango is absolutely terrified of storms! She stresses really badly and starts shaking, panting and drooling.

Laura's Babies
04-01-2005, 01:44 PM
My Chester is terrified of storms. The girls don't even notice them but the "Protector of the House" is horrified!

CagneyDog
04-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Cagney is scared of all loud noises so thunder really gets him going. When he was younger he would run up stairs and hide under the bed but in his older age he takes everything very slow- it is to hard for him to go up alot of stairs :(

chrissycat21
04-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Snowy is scared of the thunder. But it's me who is the scardy cat around here! :o :p

Chica
04-01-2005, 02:41 PM
CHICA DOESN'T SEEM AFRAID OF STORMS, OR NOISES. SHE HEARS NOISES AND LOOKS AT ME. :) IF I AM NOT WORRIED SHE IGNORES THEM.;)

RobiLee
04-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Neither of my girls seem to be scared of storms. I'm very grateful for that and hope it stays that way...lol.

Robin :)

IRescue452
04-01-2005, 03:02 PM
None of my pets are afraid of storms, Pepper is deaf, Autumn loves rain and isn't afraid of thunder, and Depot, Sonny, and Requiem just don't care.

elizabethann
04-01-2005, 03:40 PM
My dog (Fenway) and cat (Cosmo) are afraid of storms and fireworks. My other cat (Maxie) doesn't seem to mind them. He was a stray in the big city so I think he is used to hearing loud noises.

I have to close all of my windows when there is a fireworks display in the field by my home.

I feel so bad for Fenway and Cosmo. I was told not to soothe them or to say "it's okay" because it makes them scared even more. But it's too late, I always say "it's okay" and I cuddle with them.

Glacier
04-01-2005, 03:44 PM
The cats aren't at all. They don't care.

We don't get many thunder storms up here--it rarely gets that hot! But last summer we had a few. Heyoka, the biggest of all my dogs, turned into a terrified, crying, whining, baby at the first crack of thunder. He had to be in the house during any storms.

Last fall we had two massive windstorms that wiped out alot trees in the dog yards. I noticed when we had a windy day last week that the dogs seemed a little nervous and stayed very close to the house.

lizbud
04-01-2005, 06:50 PM
My cats don't seem to be bothered by storms. Smokey doesn't
like them at all, but doesn't freak out anymore. Maggie is to young to have any experience with storms. We only had one
thunder storm so far this season & she stopped chewing her
bone & looked around, but didn't seem upset at all. I on the other
hand hate those thunder boomers that shake the walls as they
pass through.:eek:

jennifert9
04-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Duncan is not afraid of storms or fireworks. I got him on June 29th and on the 4th of July we went to a friend's house for a barbeque. I was worried as I didn't know how he would react but surprisingly, he just sat next to me by the fire and didn't even seem to mind when the fireworks started. I hope he's not scared when I'm not here because I would feel bad everytime it storms and I'm not home :(
Being scared of storms is no laughing matter though. An ex-boyfriend's dog was so scared of storms she would try to get out of the house during them, I guess she thought she could run away from the noise. During one they put her in the bathroom so she wouldn't race around the house and hurt herself and she ended up climbing up to the window and jumping out. She died from the landing 2 stories up :( I always feel bad when I think about that...poor girl was trying to get away and ended up jumping right into it....:(

Sorry didn't mean to bring the thread down! It happened almost 15 yrs ago...just wanted to share as an FYI to those of you whose pets are scared.

:)

pitc9
04-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Sierra can sleep through thunder storms, gun shots, fireworks etc.
But Buddy...:rolleyes: Is DEATHLY afraid of loud noises.
To the point that I have to put him in his crate and turn the radio on loud, or he'll hurt himself.
He'll run and jump on the door to get outside, or if he's outside, he'll try to jump over the fence to run away!??!:confused: It is heartbreaking to see.
I get Tranquilizers for the 4th of July every year. BIG rule in my yard is No Fireworks!!

I'm sure it has everything to do with the fact that he was dumped in the woods and lived there for a few months with little or no shelter.
Poor baby boy... :( :(

Soapets
04-02-2005, 09:05 AM
My dog Sandi is absolutely terrified of thunderstorms. We have to give her a mild tranquilizer to help her stay calm whenever there is a storm coming. She can sense it way before we know it's coming. Her eyes glaze over, she starts panting, and her heart starts racing. We feel so badly for her! We are worried she'll give herself a heart attack or something if she doesn't get the mild tranquilizer.

Oreo isn't afraid of the storms, but if Sandi gets anxious, then he gets anxious, too. If Sandi is calm due to the mild tranquilizer, then Oreo remains calm, even without a tranquilizer.

Our cat, Angel, runs to the window to look out and see what all the commotion is about whenever it storms! She doesn't stay there long. In fact, up until last November when we had our roof repaired, she would go sit by an area where water was leaking into our house, and play with the water! Now that the roof is fixed and no longer leaking, it will be interesting to watch her reaction to storms this year. She won't have the rain inside the house to keep her amused!

Buddy Blaze Lover
04-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Blaze is TERRIFIED of storms!!! He gets so nervous and whines constantly if he hears thunder!!:)

LKPike
04-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I got lucky with mine ;) The dogs I grew up with were pains when it came to storms, yelping, barking, shaking, they always turned into extreme versions of "velcro dogs" :rolleyes:

Frankie will bark at thunder if it sounds like a knock at the door, he Does get upset if its a loud storm while hes locked in the kennel at night.

Jillian doesnt care lol. If it thunders, She'll look at me, I'll look at her... and then she goes back to sleeping or chewing on her toys :)

BitsyNaceyDog
04-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Mine aren't too bad. If it's a bad storm Oliver (one or the cats) will hide under the bathroom sink. It's the only cabinet that doesn't have a baby lock on it. We don't keep anything under there chemical wise, but there is a bed under there just for Oliver :).

Buster likes to go into is crate, under his blanket during storms, that's his "safe place".

Bitsy was never bad at all, in fact she used to like to play in the rain. After the hurricanes she changed. Now, if it's a light rain she's fine, but if it's a bad storm she usually stays close to me or Justin.

All the rest of mine are fine with storms.

Twisterdog
04-02-2005, 02:28 PM
The only one of my dogs that is afraid of thunder and rain is Keito. He is normally the most aloof of the bunch, but a few hours before a storm hits he turns into a needy ball of mush, always underfoot and clingy. There can be not a cloud in the sky yet, but he is never wrong.