PDA

View Full Version : has this ever happend to you?

sammy101
03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
I was taking Kodie & Lucy for a walk today.We decided to go the other way,which wasnt the greatest idea i guess.I saw this Spanish lady walking with her little girl,mabye 5 years old.And as soon as she saw me coming,she turned around and starting walking the other way,as fast as she could.:rolleyes: lol,it was really odd.The poor little girl was like 'whats going on?'she kept on looking back at me,obviously wanting to see the dogs,which i dont have a problem with.But the mom,i guess got really scared of kodie... boy,he looks so mean:rolleyes: i started laughing for some reason,and just ignored it.Most people that run into Kodie love him.i guess she got scared b/c of his size?I dont know.:confused:
oh yeah,once she saw me turn around,she slowed down and was taking her time:rolleyes: I understand that people can get afraid of larger dogs,but she gave me a glare...like i shouldnt be walking walking them.

Suki Wingy
03-31-2005, 09:21 PM
People can be so weird sometimes!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sometimes while walking NiƱo through an elementary school's park/field people ask me "Will he bite me?" in an unscared tone.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Some people are just like that. That's happened to me lot's of times with Tango (people think she's a shepherd mix.) and Winston. I've just learned to ignore them.

Tweety_Pie
03-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Its never happened with my two (I guess thats because they are small), but when I am walking my aunts great danes (3 of them, of course with the help of my cousins LOL), one look at them and people turn soo fast you can't even blink:eek: (Their neighbours call them horses..you barely walk 2 steps out of their house and you hear "look there is the horses" LOL:D:p)

It must just be the size because these 3 are gentle giants, they dont even look mean lol!

Sometimes I guess you just have to ignore it. It's kind of like "don't judge a book by its cover".. well you could say don't judge a dog by its looks.

Kodie doesn't look mean at all too me... I just wanna give him a BIG hug!:D

Bigyummydog
03-31-2005, 10:07 PM
our neighbor babysits three young children, we have
a chain link fence between us, the kids like MAXIMUS,
and our neighbor knows how friendly he is...the youngest
little girl, about three, just loves him....she calls him
when they go out to play, and puts her little hands
through the fence to pet him, and he just loves it, he
is partial to babies....one day the father saw her and MAXIMUS
touching, and he freaked out...watch out he's going
to bite, etc...just goes to show how people become scared
of dogs...it's really sad...alot of people miss out on one
of the best things in life....:(

K9soul
03-31-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm actually the opposite end of that situation. I'll be walking Tasha and when I notice kids are approaching and looking at her with interest, my tendency is to turn with her and walk the other way. That's due to my experience at the Petco with Tash once where a very pushy kid insisted on bending over her to pet her after I told him no, and Tasha, feeling trapped, growled and curled her lip at him, frightening me so much I've never taken her there again. She'd never done anything other than bark at people who came into our yard before that. Approaching young kids that I don't know while the dogs are on a leash makes me nervous (esp with Tasha), because I never know what they might do. Guess you could say I don't worry about other dogs hardly at all, but am wary of little kids unless I know them :p

PJ's Mom
03-31-2005, 10:35 PM
I get that kind of treatment with my 48lb Bailey. :rolleyes: As some people here have pointed out to me, some people have had bad experiences with dogs and that causes their fear. Some people are idiots and don't know any better.

I'm trying to learn to ignore them all. :D

Personally, I'd love to meet your dogs. :)

LKPike
04-01-2005, 08:39 AM
some people are just scared of big dogs, same with some people being terrified of cats, I don't understand it, but thats what they fear, and as long as they don't try to harm the dogs because of their fear... then I don't really care. lol

jackie
04-01-2005, 09:03 AM
i get it ALL the time and i have no idea why. :(

where i walk my dogs there is only a narrow sidewalk so when i pass people i usually step off into the road. a couple of days ago we passed a family with a small little girl, so i stepped off and tito just glanced in their direction (from about 1 metre away from them) and the woman snatched up the kid and give me such a HORRIBLE look. then as i walked away i heard her swearing about me and my damn dogs.

The thing that make me most angry is that i live in a tourist area, so most of the people are only here for one or two weeks at a time. When people look at me like " how dare you walk your dogs here" i just want to scream, " IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, GO HOME!!!"

here are some pics of my ferocious pack

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/pc5355e3bafcd38d302417d6e0361a93d/f4ef9586.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p16c92bc19a1b1ba0aa89e49a83300288/f52d763d.jpg

terrifying, eh? :eek:

IRescue452
04-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Some people actually have a fear of dogs. We had a person come to our garage sale once and she left on a run because she was phobic of dogs. You never know and I try not to judge people right away, I wish more non-dog owners would try not to judge dogs right away. Some people do pull their kids away from Autumn, and especially from Pepper, cocker spaniels are sooo mean, yeah back in the overbreeding days! I don't let it get to me because for as many people that cross the street when we are coming there are twice as many who want to stop and pet the dogs.

pitc9
04-01-2005, 09:29 AM
All the time!!!

I walk around my neighborhood and there is one lady that has a little white dog, about 10 pounds. Everytime she sees us coming, she'll change sides of the street she's walking on, and she'll pick up her dog as we walk past each other. She NEVER makes eye contact.. nothing, just scoops up her dog, sticks her nose in the air and walks past us. The funny thing... while she's holding her dog, it's barking it's head off, and mine don't make a noise!!
HA HA!!!:D :p

Pit Chick
04-01-2005, 10:03 AM
I take Ginger out in public a lot when we do fundraisers for the rescue group and people think she is too cute and so friendly, they get down on her level and get kisses from her and then they ask what breed she is. Some are like "oh, I didn't know that's what they looked like" or "aren't they supposed to be mean", others will back away as fast as they can and if they have kids they snatch them up like they are about to be hit by an oncoming train. :rolleyes: It's like, wait a minute, you were just down there in her face and thought she was cute until I told you what she was. I like to mess with people when they become apprehensive, I tell them "we haven't told her she's a Pit Bull though". That makes them feel kind of silly. I try not to let people's reactions bother me, but I know it bothers Ginger because she doesn't understand why they don't want to be her friends. :( Pits are very sensitive and wear their emotions on their face so it breaks my heart when she feels rejected.

Chica
04-01-2005, 02:28 PM
MAYBE SHE DOESN'T LIKE DOGS. WHO KNOWS!! ;)

chrissycat21
04-01-2005, 03:03 PM
I've seen lots of kids who are scared of Snowy. Mostly because she jumps up to lick your face.

My mom is terrified of my uncle's dobies. One of his, Cody, attacked my sister when she was little and my mom won't let us near them. They are really sweet dogs, but sometimes they get a little too playful.

I do pick up Snowy when we're around larger dogs or dogs that just get a little too excited, only because she will freak out if a larger dog comes up, even if it's only a few inches taller then her. She used to love big dogs, but then she was attacked by this (really, really pretty) Akita, and now she gets so scared. There are only a few big dogs that she likes, mostly ones that are very laid back, but Snowy is a little attack dog and I'm worried she'll be the one to start something with another dog. :rolleyes: