PDA

View Full Version : I need computer help now

catnapper
03-31-2005, 05:21 PM
I tried to install some new software today - VERY IMPORTANT software for work. I tried several times, and can't get it to install. I keep getting the same error:
C:\Windows\System32\AutoExecNT.
"This system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications."

Do you have any clue WHY I got this error? I've gone and tried a diskcleanup. I deleted a ton of files. I organized files into new folders (as if that would have any bearing on the issue :rolleyes: ) I tried Windows updates. I did a Virus Scan and a SpyWare scan. My computer has never been so clean and organized :p

All I keep thinking is "Dear Lord, don't make me spend my tax refund check on a new computer." I NEED this software for work. Its a brand new design program that was $2,500 and I waited as long as I could to get it... I've set out a good chunk of change for this, and now I can't believe it WON'T INSTALL!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Help help help!!!

slleipnir
03-31-2005, 05:37 PM
I have no idea, sorry. What OS are you running?

catnapper
03-31-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm running XP.

slleipnir
03-31-2005, 06:13 PM
this is pretty much thing only thing I could find when looking for that

"Try runing the XP repair from the control panel. Might be a corrupt file or
you might have lost a piece of the HD."

slleipnir
03-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Oh and this
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/130175.html

I haven't really read through it, hope it can be of help

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Very odd that a brand new program wouldn't work on an XP computer. :confused:

Two other things that might help. I see you did a disk cleanup, but try a disk scan. If you have My Computer on your desktop, double click on it then right click on your C: drive. Click on properties and then on the tools tab, click the Check Now button under Error-checking. Follow this instructions to repair any errors automatically. You might get an error saying something like it needs to use Windows exclusively, do you want to schedule a disk scan on the next start up. Do that and then reboot. If I remember right, it will ask you if you want to do the disk scan before your normal screen comes up - do it. And be patient, it might take awhile - like maybe as long as an hour. Once you're done with the disk scan, defrag.

I don't know if this will work, but this along with everything you've done so far will really give you a clean, well-organized computer! This worked for me lately with an external hard drive I was trying to use....hopefully it will work for you.

If not, since this is new software, you should get some kind of tech support for at least 30 days or so. Call them, or maybe they have a FAQ section on their website.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

catnapper
03-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Thank you thank you thank you! I LOVE you!!! It worked!

Doing a MAJOR happy dance!!!