PDA

View Full Version : I want another dog!

PJ's Mom
03-31-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm really torn between getting a Rottie...a breed I have always loved and a Shih Tzu...a breed I just learned to love.

Hubby doesn't want another dog, his common answer is "get rid of one we've got then you can get another one. " :rolleyes: Of course that's not an option, but we close on this house in a month, and then there's really no good reason why we can't get a puppy. I stay home all day, we have plenty of money, and if we get a puppy, I won't have to go to the inlaws house until it's housetrained!!! :D

I have no trouble with the cats getting used to another dog...you know cats have a way to get their point across. :D

I think Bailey will be fine with a puppy. Peej on the other hand would be the one thing to stop me from taking the plunge into puppy ownership again. He's very standoffish (is that a real word?) around dogs that come into his house and even after 2 1/2 years, he only tolerates Bailey. :( I don't want to do anything that might change my boy.

What do you think? Would you get a Rottie or a smaller dog? Would you bring another dog into your house knowing one of your might not like it too much?

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome. :)

IRescue452
03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
I don't know, you don't seem like the shih tzu type. Go for the rottie. You only live once. I want to get one when I get my own house, husband will learn to like it. Imagine making him walk around with a shih tzu! I think if Peej were able to boss around a pup for a while he might become more tolerant of other dogs or if the pup grew huge he might just decide to back off a bit. I don't think there would be any real problems between them. Then again, I don't know your hubby too well, I know my stepdad would get all anal at first, yes that's the best describing term, and then learn to like the dog.

Cincy'sMom
03-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Which breed to you think Bailey would do better with?

I know with mine, Sadie acts like she is afraid to play with puppies or smaller dogs. She would do better with a bigger dog.

Peej may not mind it so much, esp. if Bailey and a new puppy get along well. I don't know if she bugs him to play now, but if she has another dog to play with, he can be left alone.

Just tell your husband all the cool kids have their dogs in 3's :D

DogLover9501
03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
:eek: A puppy :D

I would definatly go for the Rottie, but that's just me ;)

Peej sounds alot like Piddle, I think the little ones always have the most attitude! Piddle does not like Jasper-at all, Jasper is 19 months old and has been with us since he was 8 weeks, and I finally just faced the fact that Piddle is never going to like him. Oh, and he doesn't like Emma either :rolleyes: ;)

Another thing, if you do go for the Rottie, how big is Bailey?
A problem we have here is that Jasper always wants to play with the smaller dogs and sometimes hurts them, and I always get scared that he is going to seriously hurt them someday, sometimes he even jumps on them by accident. I always wish that I waited until I was able to get 2 larger dogs.

However, our black lab used to play with Wiggles and was very gentle and always laid down on his back to play with her, so I guess it depends.

I don't have much to tell you about shih-tzus, I don't want to compare the breed to Piddle, as it could change your mind :p But I'm sure that's only Piddle!

Good luck :D

**Edit**

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
Just tell your husband all the cool kids have their dogs in 3's :D
Yes, tell him that ;) :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-31-2005, 05:22 PM
I think Bailey would love to have a buddy, since it sorta sounds like Peeg doesn't really want much to do with her anyway, she would probably like someone to play with:) I would definitley go for a Rottie, they're awesome dogs:D Plus, you've liked them longer than you've liked Shih-tzus. I'd go with a female Rott though, just because they aren't as rambunctious as males and they're probably alot closer to Bailey's size. I've also found that with the females, they are usually easier to train and just seem to bond better with their family. I'm not saying that the males don't but from my experience with Rotts that's just what I've found. Good luck with your decision!:)

jazzcat
03-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom

Hubby doesn't want another dog, his common answer is "get rid of one we've got then you can get another one. " :rolleyes:
Do you think our husbands could be related? LOL! That is exactly what Richard said when I started talking about a new addition before we got Rocky and Rumor. I just about fell over when he finally agreed to two.

He's not much of a dog person or rather a small dog person so he keeps saying no more dogs when Disney is gone. I agree, I don't think I want another small dog for a while. I'm hoping some day we will move where there are no close neighbors and lots of land and then he better watch out because I'm going to the shelter and bringing home several big guys.:D I would love a large breed mixed with basset hound.

I agree with the others that you should see what type Bailey and Peej would do best with.

Bigyummydog
03-31-2005, 05:24 PM
:eek: we've thought about getting a puppy(kevin's such
a pushover where puppies are concerned)...but MAXIMUS
would have alot to say about it..."share":confused: ...
are you kidding?

:confused: :confused:

PJ's Mom
03-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Bailey weighs close to 50 lbs (she could stand to lose about 5lbs.) and isn't great with pushy dogs. I think she'd do well with a puppy because she's always acted like a mom...she brought a dead squirrel in once, very gently and laid it at my feet. She patiently waited until I checked it before she left. (aww!) she's always taking care of us, especially washing our hands and faces and is very good when one of us is hurt or upset. She just has the instinct, I think. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

I thought a Rottie would be good because I plan on getting a puppy, and it would grow up with these two. I wouldn't bring a full grown large dog into the house at this point.

Just tell your husband all the cool kids have their dogs in 3's

Good one. I'll use it tonight. :D

IRescue452
03-31-2005, 06:35 PM
oops, hehehe, not married yet, I was projecting into the future. Though some say me and my boy are already married, including my mother, I enjoy the single life, I can have all the dogs I want.
Sorry for the mixerupper.

Toby's my baby
03-31-2005, 06:58 PM
I would go for the Rottie. I LOVE Rotties, Pitts, and Dobby's! We brought Maggie home, knowing the Boo boo, would hate her. Boo boo has been the only dog in our household, for 12 years. Boo boo is a Shih Tzu/Mutt, and he is about 3 -4 times smaller than Maggie, but as long as he is the Alpha dog, all is fine. Just spend a lot of time with the dog you have now, when you get your new puppy, but make sure he knows that he isnt the baby anymore, and you arent going to give your undivided attention to him 24/7

Vette
03-31-2005, 10:25 PM
If all else fails.. you can always crate the problem dog up while the other dog is lose. pain in the butt i know.. but it solves all problems before any try to begin if you have any hunches that there will be issues between the dogs.

im also hoping you get a Rott. :D

PJ's Mom
03-31-2005, 10:28 PM
I think I want a Rottie. :D

For every major holiday that rolls around, (for the last 3 or 4 years anyway) hubby and the kids always ask me what I want. My answer...a male rottie puppy with a little red bow around his neck. :D

I still don't have one yet. :(

luvofallhorses
03-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Get a rottie :D I am sure you wil find the breed that suits you, imo you seem like a small dog person ;)

Oggyflute
04-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Peej would end up being cool with a pup because he'll have established top dog status. Personally I would go for a rottie.:)

BitsyNaceyDog
04-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
I won't have to go to the inlaws house until it's housetrained!!! :D

That sounds like a good enough reason right there to get a puppy.

I would say rottie!!! But I almost think a shih tzu would fit better into your house. When I picture your 2 dogs sitting next to a rott, it looks funny in my head. When I picture them sitting with a shih tzu it looks right. I thinks it's the hair, your dogs have the long light color hair like a shih tzu.

Vette mentioned crating one while the other is out, not a bad idea in a sense. I wouldn't keep my dog in a crate for half the day, while the other is out though. A baby gate may be a solution though, if a problem arises between PJ and a new dog. Nacey and Nova are my 2 very playful and active dogs, the other 3 are more quiet. Most of the time they get along great and don't mind each other, but there are times they need a little time away from each other. When that happens I put a Nacey and Nova in the kitchen and the others in the living room with the baby gate separating them. I also do that every time I leave (unless hubby's home of corse) so they don't bother each other.

caseysmom
04-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Well bubba is half shih tzu half poodle and him and casey have hit it off great and casey is not the most easy going with other dogs...bubba is just a total sweetheart. I also love rotties!

I must say that it is nice to have a dog I can pick up without making my back go out.

dukedogsmom
04-01-2005, 12:51 PM
I say go for the Rottie. I'm a big breed person. To me, that would be no contest.

DogLover9501
04-01-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't think I would have ever given a shih-tzu a second thought if we didn't own one, as I'm a big breed person too.

But I love them because we have one, and he's so much different than any dog I have ever met/owned, he has so much personality!

PJ's Mom
04-01-2005, 03:33 PM
How much does Piddle weigh? He is pure shih tzu, right? He's so cute! :D

caseysmom
04-01-2005, 04:24 PM
I have always been a big dog person too but bubba does have such a cute personality.

Pit Chick
04-01-2005, 05:32 PM
I would go with a Rottie. Since Bailey is the "boss dog", I would take her along wherever you go to get a new pup and let her pick. It's going to be her dog too. If a puppy isn't her thing, see how she would do with an adult. Are you going to rescue or buy?

PJ's Mom
04-01-2005, 05:50 PM
I really, really , really want to rescue. But I've also considered going to a breeder. I don't know yet.

PJ's Mom
04-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Hubby is going to play paintball tomorrow. I told him I was going "puppy hunting" while he's gone. :D

He told me to hunt all I want, but if I came home with one he wouldn't be coming home.

OK!! :D Sounds like a fair trade to me. lol

What this means is that I can't have my new doggie yet. :(