PDA

View Full Version : The Pope

PJ's Mom
03-31-2005, 04:29 PM
From CNN.com

Pope John Paul II has been given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church as his health deteriorates, a Vatican source tells CNN.

:eek: I knew he was sick but I had no idea.

sammy101
03-31-2005, 04:36 PM
i just heard thaton the news:eek: :( The doctors have to interfere now.Hopefully he'll get better soon,sure doesnt sound good now:(

moosmom
03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
:eek: I'm praying for the old man. He was my favorite pope. Such a kind, gentle soul.

Pam
03-31-2005, 05:23 PM
I am not a catholic but admit to admiring him far and above all previous popes. The Lord will call him when it is his time and he will enter into his deserved rest. :(

tatsxxx11
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
I was comforted to hear that his "head" physician is a nun, someone who will take into consideration not only his physical well being and priorities, but his spiritual ones as well. I hope that he can rally. He is such a good man.

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Oh, I didn't here that!:( I did here they inserted a feeding tube, but really, he got the last rites! Pope John Paul has been such a good pope, and he's such a good holy man...it's going to be sad when he passes away.:(:(:(

slick
03-31-2005, 09:48 PM
As a Christian, this has hit me hard. :( :( I just don't know what to say. Will watch for updates on tonight's late news.

Cincy'sMom
03-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Pope John Paul II has been Pope since 1978, since I was 2 years old. I can't compare him to any prior Popes, but being Catholic, and growing up in Catholic school, when they talked about The Pope, there is only one face to put to the title..not like "The President" that changes every 4- 8 years. The idea of him not being Pope, or maybe better said, someone else being Pope seems very weird to me.

Last Rites does not neccesarily mean death is imminent. They have actaully changed the name of the sacrement in the church, and it is more commonly called "Sacrement of the Sick" Many people experience this before surgeries, or when facing an on going illness. I don't know what it means as far as the Pope's helth goes, and obviously he is very sick, but I guess I wanted to explain a little more. To me, saying "Last Rites", seems to imply he will be gone at any moment, and that may not be the case.

I pray that when his time comes, he will go peacefully

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Yeah, what Cincy's Mom said. We all know it as last rites, but they are really playing that down in the media and making sure everyone understands it's "Sacrament of the Sick" and is given to very sick people - not as last rites, but instead to pray for them to get better.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound good for the Pope. I, too, have never known another Pope. I do know I disagree with some of the things coming out of the "Vatican" but hope he passes peacefully. At least we know the pearly gates will be wide open to welcome him home. :(

moosmom
04-01-2005, 09:31 AM
On the news this morning they said that he's going into heart failure. I pray every night for him. I know that God will call him home when he's ready. I just hope it's peaceful, quiet and without pain. :(:(

PJ's Mom
04-01-2005, 09:48 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that someone said he could recover if they can solve his breathing problem. Maybe there's hope. :)

ChrisH
04-01-2005, 10:47 AM
The latest updates on the Pope's health appear on the BBC News website. This is what it is reading right now
Gravely ill Pope remains 'serene' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/)

sirrahbed
04-01-2005, 11:51 AM
He is now unconscious and his death is believed to be very soon. This is sad but very comforting to observe someone entering death in this calm and relaxed way.

slick
04-01-2005, 12:03 PM
:( :( A very sad day indeed and my tears flow freely.

As with Mother Teresa and others who have passed before him, the world will never be the same again.

RICHARD
04-01-2005, 06:01 PM
My BIL was a Los Angeles Police officer for years.

When the Pope came to Los Angeles to visit he was on the security detail at the stadium where the service was held.

Years later, he still becomes very animated when he talks about
seeing JP up close. He was told to face the crowd and keep his eyes open. I guess he didn't follow instructions very well-he turned to take a look at him as he passed.

When he tells the story, my BIL becomes very animated and gets an excited look on his face.....to paraphrase him..

"He glowed, it was like he had this brilliance around him."

Pretty cool coming from a tough retired cop that doesn't let his feelings be know often, if at all....

Lexi_Lover
04-01-2005, 06:07 PM
I posted this in the other thread...he is still living! But only slightly! :( I am a VERY strong Catholic prson, and believe in God fully! I know that God will be there when he passes, and he will live on forever in our hearts, and get a very smooth journey to Heavan above.

I loved that man. His kidneys are failing and his major organs are starting to shut down!His blood pressure is racing and his breathing is very shallow. He also has a Urinary Tract infection and a very high fever. Its 7:00pm here, and he's still clinging onto life. He told them all to tell me he is not in pain, and that God is with him by his side. He is always going to be there. The poor poor man!

He is amazing! Its on the news everywhere here, and everybody is going to church here as well, I am listening right now! :(

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.:(

*EDIT* His brain function has just slightly ceased. :(:(:(

RICHARD
04-02-2005, 03:26 AM
As a 'fallen Catholic' I take solace in the way that the church views death.

It's not the end of a life.

It's the time to stop and reflect on the things that this soul accomplished.

As long as people remember John Paul II, he will never die.

His life and accomplishments are a template and the "bar" that is set for the person that follows in his shoes.

Imagine this...

The first non-Italian Pope in how many years?
How many languages he knows.
The most traveled Pope in history.
The leader of the last monarchy of the western world.
A man that is loved by many people in the world.
The people he has touched.

And how many other things he got done in 26 years???

It's not the time to mourn him,

It's time to be happy that he was part of the world.

A priest was on the television last night and he quoted a line from a magazine....

It had to do with a gathering of people that had gone to see JP II....

"Where else could you go and see one million people smile....."

Don't be sad.

There will be a point where you will stop, look at the people gathered for this man......

Then think of the love that enables so many people to gather in one spot, in peace.

That is what mankind should aspire to.

carole
04-02-2005, 03:34 AM
He is a much admired man from people of all walks of life, even those who are not catholics, my brother n law who is a non-practising catholic went to see him when he visited Rome years ago, it was still very important to him.

Sadly I think his death is not far away, he served the church well, and despite his grave illness he continued to serve the people, I hope his passing is calm and serene .

Lexi_Lover
04-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Right now, 6:42am here, he is slipping in and out of consciousness and the Vicars say that these are his last hours of life. The Pope is near death! :(

Buddy Blaze Lover
04-02-2005, 10:02 AM
That is so true Richard! We should be happy and thankful for all this pope has given us in his life...he is so accomplished! And we should rejoice with him as he enters his Heavenly home, because that's where we all want to be at the end of this life!:)

Cinder & Smoke
04-02-2005, 02:02 PM
:(

Pope John Paul 2nd has gone to Heaven. :(

He died at 2:37 PM Eastern Time.

May He Rest In Peace.

Cincy'sMom
04-02-2005, 02:03 PM
I just saw the news on Fox. May he rest in peace

Lexi_Lover
04-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Rest in Peace Pope Joah Paul II, your soul will live on forever! :( You were an excellent man! :(

momoffuzzyfaces
04-02-2005, 02:14 PM
It's official: Pope John Paul II has graduated to Heaven now!

Earth will be a lot darker now that his beautiful light has left.:(