PDA

View Full Version : Revolution for cats?

lv4dogs
03-31-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm thinking about switching to revolution this year (up until now I've always used advantage & no heartworm prevention).

I was just wondering how many people use it & if you are happy with it?

jazzcat
03-31-2005, 12:02 PM
My one and only experience with it was bad but from what I've heard that is rare. When we first got Scout I took her to the vet for a checkup. She had some earmites and a few fleas so the vet decided to give her one dose of Revolution to treat it all. The vet tech applied it pretty much to just one big spot on her back, she didn't spread it out with smaller drops. About a week later Scout's fur fell out at the spot she was treated and she had bumps on her skin. I took her back to the vet and the thought Ringworm so they did a culture. It came back negative for Ringworm but by that time her skin looked very burned. After $100+ in vet bills we all finally decided that it was the Revolution that did it. I'll never use it again on any of my pets but the vet swears that this is the first time that has ever happened that they know of.:rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel like I'm always the exception to any case.

Lacey
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
I don't know much about Revolution, but my vet swears by the Program. And so far I've never had any problem with it. It's a shot that lasts for 6 months, and - in the words of the vet - it's flea birth control. Cat gets shot. Flea bites cat. Flea is sterilized. If fleas are already a problem, I wouldn't recommend it, because it doesn't really kill them. It just fixes it so that the population dies out due to not being able to lay eggs.

mruffruff
03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
I've used it on about 20 cats at various times and never had a bad reaction.

The one time I had a bad reaction was with BioSpot. The cat was acting like he was having seizures, trying to rub the back of his neck on the floor, and mrowing horribly. I managed to wash most of it off with a wet cloth and he was fine. Never put anything on that particular cat again.

I also use Revolution on my dogs, different formula however.

Mary

Orca
03-31-2005, 12:33 PM
I've used it on my kitties with no problems. They are indoor cats and when they had a minor flea episode, I used revolutions right away and haven't noticed fleas on them since.
And I think its the only option, or one of few, for heartworm prevention that isn't oral. So if you have a cat that won't eat treats, like my Gus, revolutions is great.

catnapper
03-31-2005, 12:39 PM
I think the rescue uses it on all their kitties. Jen, can you confirm that? If so, Pouncer, Abby and Harry have all had it, along with all my fosters. It is supposed to get any kind of creepy crawly and keep them from coming.If I had indoor/outdoor cats I'd probably be using it reguarly. As it stands, I might only apply it once a season at the worst flea time.

moosmom
03-31-2005, 12:53 PM
I swear by the stuff!! Not only does it kill fleas and flea eggs, but it also kills earmites. It's the only thing I use when I take in a foster cat.

Grace
03-31-2005, 12:54 PM
We use Revolution on the boys, since they go outdoors. Have had no problems at all - no fleas, roundworms or earmites either.

We use Frontline on the girls. They are inside only, but do go out on the enclosed porch, and the occasional flea might show up there.

catmandu
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Revolution,and the Ova Collars,work,well,with the Found Cats,although,I have stopped using,the Collars,as the Cats,kept losing them,and at 20 Dollars,a collar,that gets,to be expensive!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos827.jpg

carole
03-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Can I make a suggestion that since you have the cats on Advantage, that you switch to Avantage Plus, it is new on the market in NZ, and it does the same as Revolution, I am considering changing my kitties depending on the cost, I feel at least it is the same Brand it might not have any side effects, worth a try., remember you still have to worm them with Drontal for threadworms I think it is, as neither Revolution or Advantage plus do that.:)

lv4dogs
03-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by carole
Can I make a suggestion that since you have the cats on Advantage, that you switch to Avantage Plus, it is new on the market in NZ, and it does the same as Revolution, I am considering changing my kitties depending on the cost, I feel at least it is the same Brand it might not have any side effects, worth a try., remember you still have to worm them with Drontal for threadworms I think it is, as neither Revolution or Advantage plus do that.:)

The main reason I want to switch is because revolution protects agains heartworm & earmites too.

The mosquitos are VERY bad at my house and the stray cats are bad too, which some are starting to get ear mites.

And I don't think it is available here yet, my vet does not have it & I can't find any info on it at all on the net.

carole
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
I could not find any info on the net either, but it is readily available here in NZ, they even advertise it on our TV, I am not certain about the heartworm, but I would imagine it is the same as Revolution, but if you cannot even get it over there, not much point, I just thought the ingredients might be similar to the advantage you are using already, as I see Revolution is a different chemical all-together.:)

PJ's Mom
03-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Both of my cats have just been put on it and it's killed their earmites after one dose. So far, no negative reaction to it. :)

Vette
03-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Ive used it on my kitties without a problem for earmites. stuff really works wonders!

also my friends Boston Terrier had 'walking dandrift' and got Revoution for dogs to cure it. worked good for her too

carole
04-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Sorry I got the name wrong it is called Avantage Multi, just saw the advert on the telly tonight, hope that helps some.:)