PDA

View Full Version : Letting them on to the balcony, and changing food.. Thoughts?

elminster20
03-30-2005, 05:01 PM
So the Whiskas Cat and Kitten food was finally finished. The question now was whether or not to try a different brand to see if that helped the gas situation (they are two very very smelly cats some times!!!!). WE were in Costco and picked up a Costco brand of cat food that said it was good for all ages, from kittens to seniors. It doesn't look nearly as appetizing to me as the Whiskas, but is it as good for them? Bob is just shy of 11 months and Don is 10 1/2 months, what do you think? Also, we live on the second floor of an apartment building, and we have a pretty big balcony, with a metal guard all the way around it. Do you think it's safe for the boys to be out there, to explore and lay around? They're 10 feet up, would they decide to try and make a leap for the ground? I dunno, seems like a good spot for them to get some fresh air and all...
Cheers!!!
More pictures soon, having them developed as we speak!!!!!!

rg_girlca
03-30-2005, 05:38 PM
I can't help you with the food change, but in regards to letting them on the balcony, I would do it only under supervision.
We live on the second floor and my cats are only allowed on the balcony when I am with them. Better safe than sorry.:)

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your two beauties.:D

catnapper
03-30-2005, 05:48 PM
My kids would devour the Whiskas if I let them - they get it as treats only. I feed the Nutro Natural... and that has helped a thousand times over with the smell. I didn't believe the package, but its true. You'll find the deposits in the litterbox are less smelly too.

I let mine out on the second floor balcony. One word of experience: CAT PROOF! Pouncer fell off several times last summer, ultimately ending with a broken paw. :( He's too fat this year to fit through the bars ;) Anyway, they LOVE the balcony. Pouncer sits and cries to go out as soon as I'm up in the morning, and until I go to bed at night. Most of the time, I let him have his way.

elminster20
03-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Ummm... Perchance what did you do, catnapper, to catproof your balcony?:) I was worried that while they were still kittens they wouldn't be getting all their needed nutrients from the new stuff, but maybe I don't have to worry about that?

catnapper
03-30-2005, 06:11 PM
I haven't catproofed it yet! :D Waiting for the tax refund to appear. Pouncer stayed away from the edge after his fall (smart cat!) and the kittens get patted on the behind if they venture near the edge. Everyone uses something different to catproof their balconies, but chickenwire and mesh screening seem popular.

At their age, as long as they are at a good weight, many people feel its ok to stop the kitten food. I stopped kitten food when mine were 7 months old because my older cats were eating more than the kittens and gaining tremendous amounts of weight. If you worry about them not getting enough nutrients, give them kitten treats as snacks. My guys still get goodies for snacks. It lets me control what they are eating a little more so the older cats don't get the additional food.

RICHARD
03-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by elminster20
It doesn't look nearly as appetizing to me as the Whiskas, but is it as good for them?

I stopped testing Eddie's food when I coughed up a hairball at work......
;) :confused:

catmandu
03-30-2005, 09:24 PM
If it is the Kirkland Cat Food,that you are talking about,it is a fairly good Cat Food,at an excellent price,I know a Siamese Cat Breeder,and that is the mainstay,of the Diet,that she feeds her Show Cats,and if I could get,to Costco,in Ancaster,I would not hesitate,to buy thatbrand.And mesh screening,or maybe sheets,of privacy latice,,would be good to enclose your balcony,and let you still catch some rays!

Craftlady
03-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I stopped testing Eddie's food when I coughed up a hairball at work......
;) :confused:

ROFL

kaoK'okung
03-30-2005, 10:20 PM
well, i used to go to a cat only vet, she stressed buying premium cat food, but if you could not afford, she always told me to buy Dad's...my cats (zip and shy) have always loved Dad's, but honestly, they eat any dry food i put in front of them...i give moist food as a treat...good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-31-2005, 09:20 AM
I would choose a premium food also, especially for the boys to minimize their chances of blocking.

But more importantly, on the balcony thing - only when supervised! I would also put leashes on them also, but they still have to be supervised with leashes on so they don't jump off and end up strangling themselves! :eek: One way to cat proof the sides is to get some chicken wire or similar type material and attach it to the railings. I know they make plastic material that is similar, but you'd probably want to find something that "disappears" when you look at it. However, if with the sides cat proofed, they will still try to jump up on the railings and that's where the supervision comes in. I don't really know, but to me it seems that 10' is nothing for a cat, especially a curious cat! ;)

Laura's Babies
03-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Welcome to PT! Your babies are sure pretty! You will just have to try different foods for them until you find what wroks best for them. All I have ver fed mine is Science Diet. If they are a good weight, kitten food is not needed because you don't want them getting to "fluffy" this young.

No advice on the balcony since mine are completely inside sweethearts and I have a one story dwelling, but you got good advice from the experts here.

Edwina's Secretary
03-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Weeelllll.... I let Eddie and Edwina go on the balcony unsupervised and unleashed. Eddie in particular loves it. He sits on the railing and watches the world go by. He has never given me reason to worry about him jumping down. And Edwina is not a jumper.

I guess I get bad mommy of the day award. :( :(

I just wish I could get Eddie to close the screen door when he comes back in.....