PDA

View Full Version : How to use "View Recent Posts" feature...

Cinder & Smoke
08-24-2001, 02:54 PM
Pet Talk has a neat feature, "View Recent Posts", that's kind of hidden in a corner of the profile pages. We posted this as an off-topic :eek: reply, so it is also well hidden. Here's a rebroadcast ;)...

There IS a way to find things on Pet Talk, IF you know who posted the article you're looking for:

Find any posting the person has made; it does not have to be a very current posting. Go to the posting, made by the author you're interested in, and click on that author's profile button. Just above the author's Profile Box is a click line saying "View Recent Posts / Send New Private Message".

Now *click* on the words View Recent Posts. You'll be presented with a listing of That Author's 50 most recent posts; arranged top to bottom, most recent on top, oldest at the bottom. The post titles are all *clickable* - and give a number indicating how far down from the top of that subject your author's reply is. If it says "Post #0" it means your author was the originator of that subject. Click on a post title and you'll be taken to that post; scroll down the indicated number of replys, and Oh, Wow! you've arrived at that author's post.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is - try it for yourself. If you can't remember
where you've left all your own pearls of wisdom on the board, you can find your own
posts the same way. Just start with something you've written or replied to and click on the Profile button on your own post. Note: the "my profile" button at the very top of a page is NOT the one to use.

I'd better quit before I confuse myself! :rolleyes: /s/ Phred, the Kidz "Dad" :cool:

PS:
Maybe Karen could post and tell us all what's up (or down :() with the search feature?

Freckles
08-24-2001, 04:47 PM
Thanks for reminding me about this Phred. Today I wanted to find a person who's member number was in the 400's and hadn't posted for a long time. I went to Dog, General, changed the day time to All posts, clicked go. That brought up 26 page numbers. I clicked on page 26, and using Netscape Edit, find, typed in part of the name. Fortunately that person had posted on page 26. If I hadn't found it there, I would have moved to page 25 and try again. Then I use "view recent posts" as you described. Just expanding a little on searching possibilities without Search.

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: Freckles ]

Karen
08-24-2001, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke:
<STRONG>

PS:
Maybe Karen could post and tell us all what's up (or down :() with the search feature?</STRONG>

The search feature died during a frightening moment of server trouble. No hint as to successful resurection has yet been discovered, though we tried a couple things. If we can get it working again, it'll reappear.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-27-2001, 09:21 AM
O my gosh - here I had been thinking that my brain was on the fritz because I couldn't find the 'search' link!!!!!
That must have been why everyone thought you had vanished, 'Phred' - they couldn't use 'search' to locate you!