PDA

View Full Version : Would like some input

doolittleky
03-28-2005, 06:50 PM
May 21st there is a cat show about 45 minutes away from me. I have emailed them about info about booths. I thought it might be a good idea to try selling the cat beds my mom is making at one of them and see how they do. The booth rental is $35.00 for one 6ft table and you can get up to 3 extra tables at $10.00 each. I thought two tables would be good. Does anyone have any ideas how I can display these beds or and suggestions about the booth? I thought maybe making a sign but don't really know how to hang it. Or I thought I might make a book of photos of happy customers for people to see. What do you think. I would like to do well at this show.

Melissa

catnapper
03-28-2005, 07:17 PM
What a great idea! But from going to shows like that myself.. two 6' long tables SOUNDS like a lot.... but you'll quickly find out how little it really is! Try laying the stuff out on the floor of the largest room in your house and you'll see that they take up a lot of room very fast! :D

A photo album is DEFINATELY a great idea -- especially for the fish one! You can get a few inexpensive easels at the arts & crafts store to display a sign and prices. Mount the signs onto a thick board so they don't sag. Perhaps have a few clipboards with "forms" for custom orders, along with a few fabric samples for people to choose from.

Whatever she normally sells them for - add $10 or so --- people at these shows will pay for it. Add more for the custom ones. Believe me, they'll pay it! If they aren't buying, then have some flyers under the tables to whip out as "show specials" where you offer a special $10 off coupon! ;) Tricky, eh?

doolittleky
03-28-2005, 07:26 PM
THANKS! Catnapper!!

That is really great input! I am not a sales person or business minded person at all and that kinda stuff is not my thing. I am more the creative kind who likes to make stuff but would rather not have to deal with selling it. I am going to print out your suggestions. You really think people will buy them if I charge more at the show? I am not sure how big of show this is and how much traffic they get. But I like your idea of the coupons! makes them thing they are getting a bargin!

Melissa

kuhio98
03-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Like Catnapper said, add at least $10 to the cost. People are willing to pay more than you imagine. If you don't have time to make a sign, how about print off all the photos from these threads that show the happy kitties in the beds. You could put the photos in plastic sleeves and simply tape them down on your table. Or tape them along the edge of the table so that people passing by can see them. They will make for a great conversation and lots of laughs. And hopefully, many sales. If all goes well, and you want to do more shows, you can always invest in an easel.

It's possible that your table will be close to a wall. In that case, you could simply tape photos to bright construction paper and tape them on the wall behind you.

Good luck! I sure wish my kitties would go for something like this. They have never accepted the beds I bought them: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71213&highlight=packing they are just going to waste. If anybody wants them, please PM me and I'll ship them your way. Otherwise, I'm going to donate them to the shelter.

Good luck and keep us posted.

catmandu
03-28-2005, 08:51 PM
My Dear Mother,would say,ask,for a bit more,that you really want,and then let the customer,bargain you down,as that always gives them a good feeling.And the Photo Album,is a GREAT IDEA,as the Bed Lady,I dealt,with has Happy Photos,of RB Smokey,and Mr Scrappy,enjoying her Beds!And Happy Cats,sell your product.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos781.jpg

doolittleky
03-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I will let you know how i do.
Melissa