PDA

View Full Version : Time for Hissy Fights-Need help

mina'smomma
03-28-2005, 03:07 PM
The cats have been hissing and growling at each other. We have tried to keep them apart and introduce them slowly, but they arent' working that way. Mina has now taken up residence inside our bed. (I literally mean inside the bed) She was playing with Kasie this morning and then it was like she realized what she was doing and then just ran and hide in the bed. She won't come out either. Can anyone offer me some help?????? I really want my babies to get along.

catnapper
03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
They are going to hiss and growl for a few days to a week, or longer once you introduce them face to face. Once they realize they can play together they'll be fine. Last foster I had upset everyone.. and even sweet Harry was growling while GROOMING the foster. LOL. They wanted to play but they wanted to also say "you're the stranger here in my place"

Just stay with them when they are in the same room. When you can't be there, isolate the newcomer to his own room.

cruisetime
03-28-2005, 03:11 PM
It's been a month and a half and they are still at it around me and hubby. Seems they get along when we are not there. Things are getting better slowly though. It does take time just like everyone here said.... :) :) Debbie

jazzcat
03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Any way you can keep them apart longer and let them get used to the fact that there is another cat in the house by smell only? When I introduced Scout I kept her in the guest room for about a week. I let her out to explore the house on day three but I put the other cats in the sunroom where they could watch her through glass doors. On day 5 I let them meet for a little bit - hissing, growling and a few smacks. By day 8 I would let Scout out all the time I was home but put her back in the guest room when I left and at night. By day 10 I felt comfortable enough to leave her out full time.

Going slowly is the best way to make sure they have time to not feel threatened. Meeting too soon can get them off to a bad start.

chocolatepuppy
03-28-2005, 03:39 PM
When I brought Missy home Sassy not only hissed at her but at me also! :eek: I never got such dirty looks in my life! I watched them carefully and they were separated when no one was home and eventually they got along. Sassy even forgave me. ;)

christa
03-28-2005, 03:55 PM
When we got Brodie, it almost seemed as if Josie was meaner to him when she knew we were watching . . . it was very strange. She did swat at him for probably 2 weeks after we put them together.

She still growls & hisses at him :rolleyes: . . . but she also licks him and cuddles with him! :)

Just gotta give it some time . . . they'll settle in a few days.

Good luck!

MULTICATMOM
03-28-2005, 03:56 PM
HAVING DOTTIE FOR ONLY 2.5 WEEKS, I PUT HER IN A BIG OPEN KENELL, EVERYONE DID THIER SNIFFING FOR ABOUT 2 HRS, I LET HER LOOSE. THERE IS THE OCCASIONAL GROWLING BUT THEY'RE ALL FRIENDS.:D :D WHITEY "OFFICIALLY" MOVED IN YESTERDAY...HIS NICKNAME IS FIGHTY WHITEY BECAUSE HE IS NOT NUETERED & OCCASIONALLY CHALLENGES MY ALPHA CAT DOM, DOM'S NUETERED, HE WEIGHS ABOUT 20LBS...THAT MEANS WHITEY LOST:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I BREAK UP THE TUSSLES:D DAISY HID IN MY CLOSET FOR 4 MONTHS WHEN SHE MOVED HERE... OTHER PTERS TOLD ME TO WAIT HER OUT...I PUT TREATS BY THE CLOSET & JUST LET HER BE:D SHE FINALLY ADJUSTED

jenluckenbach
03-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Don't worry, all is normal. TIME! Just give them time. They will et used to each other.

mina'smomma
03-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Ok yesterday I posted about my babies not getting along, and boy do I have a story to tell you guys.

When Lee and I went out last night we shut Kasie in the spare room. Well when we got home her and Mina were pawing at each other from under the door and just meowing up a storm. We figured that they wanted to play together so we opened up the door. Well Mina hissed and ran off so we put Kasie back into the spare room and not five minutes later they were at it again. This time we were getting dirty looks from Mina. So we opened the door and Mina of coarse hissed and ran off. Well we left the door open and I went to play with Mina in the bedroom. Well she hide under the bed and wouldn't come out. Even for her good night snuggle and love session with me. Needless to say I went to bed feeling like such a bad meowmie. Well at about three this morning I hear a crash in my kitchen, and as I sit up I see to fuzzbutts dash from the kitchen to the living room. I went and inspected the kitchen. My buffet table had been cleared and its contents all over the floor including the catnip toys that Gary and the Found Cats sent me. I head to the living and low and behold what do I find.......

Kasie and Mina sitting NEXT to each other looking all innocent. They kept playing most the night and this morning Mina was a little hissy and growly, but still playing. I think she was tired because as soon as I got out of bed she crawled in and laid next to her daddy.

Is this normal????? or should I be worried?????:confused: :confused:

catnapper
03-29-2005, 08:10 AM
LOL - sound very normal! Right now, Pouncer and foster Minette have been pawing at each other under the door - even Allen's been pawing. But the moment I open the door for them to meet face to face, they growl and hiss at each other.:rolleyes:

At the stage your two are at right now, they flip-flop from enjoying each other's company to hissing at each other. Its like "hey, you're fun!" then it "oh, yeah, I forgot, I'm supposed to not like you - HISS" :D Cats!

catmandu
03-29-2005, 11:14 AM
They are telling,Mina,that you are thier Human,and that they dontwant,to share you.Cats,that are rescued Strays,can be very possesive,of You,as they remmber,when they had no one,to feed them.Time,hopefully,will amke them friends.They are just getting used to Big Ragnar,as he is A GIANT,To The Found CATS!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos705.jpg

Edwina's Secretary
03-29-2005, 12:30 PM
"Edwina....stop hitting Eddie..... Eddie...if you wouldn't play with her tail....maybe she wouldn't hit you!" "Hey, what are you two doing up there!"

This is my day. I'm afraid you will just have to get used to it....:D :rolleyes: :D

mina'smomma
03-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
"Edwina....stop hitting Eddie..... Eddie...if you wouldn't play with her tail....maybe she wouldn't hit you!" "Hey, what are you two doing up there!"

This is my day. I'm afraid you will just have to get used to it....:D :rolleyes: :D

This I can deal with. Feeling like a bad meowmie I couldn't. Apparently Lee is being snubbed by Mina. She was lovey with me this morning.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by mina'smomma
This I can deal with. Feeling like a bad meowmie I couldn't.

You'll learn to deal with that also. Just because they hiss and swat doesn't mean you're a bad meowmie - it's just what they do! Tubby and Peanut were together for almost 16 years and they still would fight now and then, soooo.....the sooner you get used to it the better for you. ;)

And it sounds like they were having a blast last night! Seems to me (with my two) they get along fine until one of them pushes it too far. Seeing as how CJ is the younger of my two, it's usually him that ends up pushing too far and getting hissed at and swatted by Peanut - he knows when to duck, it's so funny!

So don't worry. As long as there is no serious fighting, they'll figure it all out amongst themselves. Sounds to me like things are going really well! Congratulations on your new addition. :D

ramanth
03-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Zam was really mean to Logan when I first introduced him, it went beyond what you are describing, so I started using Feliway.

She went from hurting him to the occasional growl and hiss. Now they cuddle. :rolleyes: :D

Although, lately they have been getting on each others nerves. Chasing each other and swatting and making not so nice noises.

I think it's a 'Spring Fever' thing.

Don't worry! They'll be buddies in no time. :)