PDA

View Full Version : ** Home Needed URGENTLY for Lab Mix & Shiba Inu =*(**

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
:(:(
A close friend of mine and her mom are being forced to move this friday. They do not own the condo that they are leasing, and the person who does own it is selling it. They are being forced to move to the only quick place they could find, where dogs are not allowed. :( They are moving friday, and they don't have a home, not even a temporary home, for their dogs!! :(

One of the dogs, "Tikka", is a 6 year old Shiba Inu. She is a little shy at first but once she gets to know anyone she loves them. She is fine around horses and other dogs. She also is fine with kids.

The other dog, "Tasha", is a 12 year old Lab/Chow mix. She is very sweet, loves to cuddle, and also loves horses, other dogs and kids.

They were hoping that they could get a home together, (the 2 dogs), but they also said that as long as they were going to good families, that it was okay if they were split. Please remember, my friend and her mom are being forced to do this. Just now they asked me if I could help find a home for their dogs, even a temporary one. They were practically in tears. They love their dogs dearly and all they want is for them to go to a good home. I promised that I would do as much as I could to find them at least a temporary home, and even more hopefully a fur-ever home. I am asking all around pony club, I'm asking my mom if she has any friends that want dogs, and I told them that I'd even ask around here. They live in Agoura Hills, around the same area as me, but I'm sure they would go anywhere within California that's about 3 or 4 hours away, as long as they know that their dogs will be loved and cared for. Any help would be VERY greatly appreciated.

Devon :(

Samantha Puppy
03-28-2005, 03:02 PM
I'd love to help, but I'm about 2,900 miles too far away. :( Good luck to them and the pups; they'll be in my thoughts.

luvofallhorses
03-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I'd love to help too but I am too far away. I will pray hard for them that they find homes.

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 03:13 PM
That's okay, I just don't know how many people live around here, even 1,2,3, or 4 hours away.... :(

dukedogsmom
03-28-2005, 03:26 PM
That is so horrible. Duke will be 12 soon. I can't imagine something like that happening to him. That would kill me. I hope they don't have to be separated and someone can help them.

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 03:28 PM
I know. My friend has had Tasha since she was 1 :( I called my mom at work and left her a message and I just emailed a ton of my friends.... I told my friend that I would've taken them in as fosters and helped them find homes if we didn't already have to take care of 3 dogs, + lots of other pets :(

Giselle
03-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Have you contacted a Shiba rescue, yet?

http://national.shibarescue.org/

http://www.shibaweb.com/shibares.htm

http://www.shibas4life.us/

Good Luck.

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 03:40 PM
hmm, not yet, But I think she might want a direct home.... I'll try though...

Animal Lover12
03-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I would love to help....but like the rest..to far away....they ill be in my thought and prayers

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 04:00 PM
That's okay, I know there aren't many people around this area..

Giselle
03-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Trust me. Self-rehoming is TOUGH. Breed rescues are about the next best thing to reputable breeders. They scan you and homecheck and, if it's a breed like a Shiba, they scrutinize your dog experience to make sure you are competant enough to take care of that particular dog. I don't know what you can do about the lab/chow, though. No-kill shelter or personal friend?

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Giselle
Trust me. Self-rehoming is TOUGH. Breed rescues are about the next best thing to reputable breeders. They scan you and homecheck and, if it's a breed like a Shiba, they scrutinize your dog experience to make sure you are competant enough to take care of that particular dog. I don't know what you can do about the lab/chow, though. No-kill shelter or personal friend?

Oh yes, I forgot that they do all this. I'll look at the links you gave me and I'll call my friend and ask if that's okay with them. Do you know of any mutt shelters around that do the same process?

Animal Lover12
03-28-2005, 04:05 PM
no sorry

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I looked at the links, and unfortunately most of them are too far away... :( I'll keep looking for more...........

Giselle
03-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Yep!!! The shelter that I volunteer at (Berkeley East Bay Humane Society) does the exact same thing. They're very picky about who their dogs are adopted out to, and I visit there every Thursday so I can always check on your friend's babies. One thing is they're also choosy about which dogs they accept. They temperament test the dogs to see if the dog is food/dog aggressive, social, trained, easy to handle, etc. This testing is pretty extensive, but provides the shelter workers a good idea of the dog's temperament and what kind of home would be best. You can make an appointment to temperament test the dog and drop him/her off. Lemme know what they decide!

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Wow!! Where are you located? (About how far away from LA/Agoura?)
Would you be able to take both Tikka and Tasha?

Giselle
03-28-2005, 04:10 PM
OOps, I type too slow LOL. The Shibas 4 Life says they work with California as well as Oregon. Maybe you can contact them?

Edit: Berkeley, CA is about an 8 hours drive from LA...:( Is that too far away? Maybe we can set up a GUR or something. But hey, look:

Our company will transport, foster, evaluate, and place Shibas needing new, forever families, into carefully screened homes. The process is detailed, but this is how good dogs are placed in great homes! In addition to rescue, Shibas4Life provides any necessary medical care and rehabilitation for these foster dogs.

flamepony12
03-28-2005, 04:17 PM
I just emailed the Shibas4Life people, asking a few questions. :)

If that doesn't work out, then we could probably try and set up a GUR... I'll have to wait for their reply. :)

Thanks so much for all your help!