PDA

View Full Version : What to do w/ injured stray cat

lv4dogs
03-28-2005, 02:10 PM
There is this tom cat around my house, that appeared about a week ago. He's skin & bones. I've been leaving food & water out for him as I feel too bad for him. Well after 5 days, he finally got the nerve to visit. He was waiting on my porch when I pulled in the driveway Sat. am. I went up to pet him when I noticed he has a few fairly big gashes on one side of his head. They don't look like cat scratches or any animal fight scratches, they appear too big & wide to be. They are not too old of wounds as the tissue is still healthy around the edges & they are red from blood, but not bleeding. One gash is oozing something nasty though, very soon it will turn into an abcess I can bet on it. He's pretty skittish but will let me pet him gently for a few moments. He reminds me of a very friendly housecat that over time, became scared of people for one reason or another. I can tell he has it in him to be a total lovebug.
I went around and asked all the neighbors if he was their cat or if they knew of who's cat he is. No one knows, or at least wants to admit it.
I've been trying to catch him so I can get him to the vet, I just can't leave him like that, no way, no how. I finally was able to pick him up late Sat. brought him inside in the quarantine room & he sprayed, so back out he went. He hasn't let me pick him up since, close but not quite. He loved being inside though! I figure in a day or 2 I should be able to get him, or at least get a have-a-heart trap by then. Then off to the vet he goes.
Now here comes the tricky part. What to do with him after I dish out a few hundred into him. I would keep him in a heart beat but he sprays & that is NOT ALLOWED in my house. I looked, but he wouldn't really let me look close but he appears to already be neutered so the statement of neutering may help probably won't work in his case.
I will get him tested for luek/hiv & if he is poss. I will have him PTS. But what if he's neg? But I can't just leave him be with the wounds he has. And if I bring him to the shelter they already said that with the wounds & his weight they would probably put him to sleep without even looking at him, so thats out of the question.
WTF do I do with him? Fix him up & leave him outside? But then what if he doesn't return for his meds, which I am sure he will need. UUGGHH
Has anyone had any luck with getting an already neutered adult male to stop spraying?

Craftlady
03-28-2005, 02:30 PM
There are medications that can help calm down a spraying feline. I would take one step at time. Try to trap him get him to a vet so he/she can look at little guys wounds and go from there. Maybe your vet knows of someone who would adopt him. Our vets office has good success in adopting out animals. Good Luck :)

doolittleky
03-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Do you have a garage that you can keep him in until he heals or you find him a good home? He needs to see the vet and get well before anything else. maybe even if you have a big cage that you can put him in until his meds are done and he is well.
Melissa

cruisetime
03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
just an idea - what if you keep him in a cage/carrier and let him out in the quarantine room and if/when he sprays put him back in cage/carrier. After a few times he may get the idea that it is not allowed to spray. So far being put in the cariier is the only thing that is stopping my Meka from misbehaving. I put her in for about 30 minutes to an hour and she meows the whole time but it seems to be working. Just an idea. You are so sweet to want to help him!!! Since some things are meant to be maybe he will stop with a little training. I got my Meka from the Animal COntrol and her misbehaving and biting and scratching is proabaly what landed her there - or someoe let her out to fend on her own because of the bad behavior. So far if has been since Oct. but she is getting better slowly but surely!!! :) Debbie

kimlovescats
03-28-2005, 03:11 PM
He needs your help, one way or the other. I would also try putting him in a cage in your garage, or another room in your home. Just cover it well with something plastic, so if he sprays, it is confined. I know this is a huge thing to take on ... but he really needs some TLC. Maybe you could do a search for some no-kill shelters that would take him in ... someone in your area? Some of them may even help with transport in order to help him out. THey may want him at least tested first though! THanks for pitching in for this poor neglected kitty! Good luck!

Kim;)

kimlovescats
03-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Here is a shelter in Macedon!!!

Company Name: Companion Animal Care Services
Description: We are a no-kill small animal shelter that will re-home small animals, tortoises, reptiles and small birds. We do foster cats and dogs on occasion, and are heavily involved in transport coordination and runs.
State: New York
City: Macedon
Postal Address: Macedon Center Rd
ZIP / Postal Code: 14502
Map / route: View map / route
Phone Number: (315) 986-8010

E-Mail Address: Send message
URL / Website: http://www.geocities.com/kirstinkey

This is the website, which has shelters in other areas of New York as well!

http://www.h4ha.org/shelters/USA/New_York/315/1-33-209-0.html

lv4dogs
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Here is a shelter in Macedon!!!

Company Name: Companion Animal Care Services
Description: We are a no-kill small animal shelter that will re-home small animals, tortoises, reptiles and small birds. We do foster cats and dogs on occasion, and are heavily involved in transport coordination and runs.
State: New York
City: Macedon
Postal Address: Macedon Center Rd
ZIP / Postal Code: 14502
Map / route: View map / route
Phone Number: (315) 986-8010

E-Mail Address: Send message
URL / Website: http://www.geocities.com/kirstinkey

This is the website, which has shelters in other areas of New York as well!

http://www.h4ha.org/shelters/USA/New_York/315/1-33-209-0.html

That # seems to be a fax #.
That Macedon Center Rd. is right around the corner from me, I travel it daily & have yet to see that place & I am active w/ helping out w/ shelters in my area. I wonder where it is exactly? Do they have an actual house # for the street addy?

lv4dogs
03-28-2005, 03:38 PM
My shed is falling apart, it came with my house. It will be replaced this year but right now the doors are falling off the hinges & the roof leaks.

The only cage I have is the small pet carriers which will fit him & only him, no litter box or food bowls etc... It's just to use to bring them to the vets & back.

doolittleky
03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Maybe there is an animal rescue group in your area that would loan you a big cage. I have borrowed traps and cages from one in my area before.

Melissa

catmandu
03-28-2005, 09:30 PM
He is spraying,because he is afraid,and amrking his new territory.Maybe FeliWay,would help.Bless you,for helping that Poor beat Up Cat,and we pray,that you can get him,that Furr Ever Home,that he needs.so badly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos797.jpg

jesse_3
03-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Thank gosh some one is trying to help him! Suggestion would be to try to find a friend or neighbor to help with him and maybe lend a bigger cage for him. I only have/had female cats, so I dont have many ideas..Good luck!

MULTICATMOM
03-29-2005, 12:06 AM
SUPER COOL SIGGY!! HOPEFULLY, HE TURNS OUT NOT TO BE NUETERED & SPRAYING... OF COURSE, THAT'D EXPLAIN HIS SITUATION... I'D GO WITH THE BORROWED CAGE, PLASTIC & SHED, THE PLASTIC CAN SERVE 2 PURPOSES DRY TOM CAT & DISPOSABLE PEE COVER. CATS WILL LOVE & TRUST SOMEONE THAT FEEDS THEM.
BEST OF LUCK!!

lv4dogs
03-29-2005, 10:02 AM
I've been calling every shelter & person I can think of trying to find a cage. So far only 2 people might have a cage that will suit him, they are looking for them today.

Tom (his name for now) was not around last night, maybe with the rain he was just hiding, but he was right at my front door this morning, waiting for his fresh food to be dished out. He's such a lover. He almost wanted to come in but then one of my dogs spooked him just a little. He's mostly comfortable around the dogs (not too scared or mean) but still leary.

His wounds seem better today BUT they still need medical attention.
I called my vet & explained the situation, I can drop him off as soon as I catch him, hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning (if I am able to come into work late tomorrow that is).

If you's can keep him in your thoughts that I can catch him, get him to the vet & have him be Leuk/HIV negative we would appreciate it a lot!