PDA

View Full Version : Snoopy had more seizures last night!

4 Dog Mother
03-28-2005, 11:38 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/pe9be0111648e033d84a81b1c915d1c2f/f4f16946.jpg

My poor Snoopy boy had more seizures last night. The first one was about 9:00 and was minor - just some drooling and tightening of the jaw. But about midnight the other dogs started barking and I knew it was Snoopy in trouble. I ran to the family room to his crate and saw a sight that just upset me so much. He had fallen backward in his crate and his jaw got pushed outside the crate so it was clamped around on of the metal pieces. I couldn't get him out of it! I started yelling for Carl even though the baby was asleep because I was so upset!!! He was able to get his jaw unclamped - I suppose because the seizure was ending. Poor Snoopy he was so scared - So was his mommy and daddy!!!! I slept in the family room - I was going to keep him in his crate as the vet advised that he was better off there because he couldn't fall off any furniture in it (and he doesn't sleep on the floor unless he is in a crate). But I ended up putting some blankets under him (during a seizure he can lose control of his bowels and bladder) and letting him sleep on the couch with me because he was whining and crying so much. He was okay when I petted him so I let him sleep right up against me.

About 4 am he had another one. And it was a lot worse. He did lose control of his bladder and bowel and he laid on his side and drooled and cried. It is such a sad sight to see. He handled it so much better than he did the first time he had seizures - I suppose cause I know what is happening now and even though I am panicking inside, I calmly talk to him and pet him. He is always a little disoriented after but he did calm down and sleep the rest of the night. As soon as the vet opened I called and they called an order of valium in for him. If he has another one, I give him valium and that should keep him from having any more.

Tomorrow I am taking him in to have his phenabarbitol level checked to see if it needs adjusting. Poor Snoopy - keep him in prayer that he won't have any more!

jennifert9
03-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Poor Snoopy. I'm so sorry for both of you having to go through this. I hope both of you are feeling much better today and I will keep him in my prayers that he doesn't have anymore. It must be terrifying for both of you.

Positive thoughts coming your way....

Cincy'sMom
03-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Poor Snoopes :( I'm so sorry you had such a rough night last night. I can't even imagine how scary it is to watch that. Poor baby :( I'm so glad the other dogs watch out for him and let you know when he is having problems.

Hope the valium helps and that his phenobarb levels can be adjusted. Call if you need anything.

LorraineO
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Awwww... I feel so badly for all of you,,, for him for having them and for you and your family for the trauma.... You have my prayers for his health......

RobiLee
03-28-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. Poor Snoopy :( . This brought tears to my eyes. I hate to think of Snoopy going through this. I hope he is better now and the vet can help him out. Please be well, Snoopy. Lots of positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Robin

ramanth
03-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Oh what a scare!! :( :( Poor Snoopy. *hugs*

I hope the meds help and the seizures ease up.

chocolatepuppy
03-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Poor Snoopy. :( I will keep Snoopy in my thoughts and prayers.

luvofallhorses
03-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Poor Snoopy :( That sent chills down my spine. I hope everything goes well at the vets.

dukedogsmom
03-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Poor Snoopy. He looks so sad. I'm glad you were able to stay with him. I hope you can get the seizures under control. Give him lots of hugs from me.

Cinder & Smoke
03-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi God ~

Our lil Buddie - Snoopy - had anudder *see-zure* again :( ...

Kan You try ta Help his White Coat get dis problem unner kontroll?
He's been problem-free fur a while now - we dunno WHY it happind agin.

Snoop is <Blessed> wiff a WUNNERFUL DogMom - paleeze gib HER
sum extre strength ta Help Snooperz thru dis problem.
She kuld uze a *big* {GodsHUG} ta let her know Youze
*werkin* onna fix fur Snoopy.

Allua Pet Talk FueKidz an Hoomin will be sendin Purrayerz Fur Snoopy -
an it'z Munday Nite - so sum extra Purrayer Kandilz will be <glowin>.

Let Snoopy know we're ALL <wishin> him a SPEEDIE Rekovery!

THANKS, God!

/s/ the (THREE) Prayer Pups

Daisy and Delilah
03-28-2005, 04:53 PM
All of our strength is concentrating on praying for poor Snoopy right now. Bless his family for loving him so much!!

Love, Daisy and Delilah

tatsxxx11
03-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Oh, Snoops:( I was in tears reading of your frighening night; and your Mom's. All of us here are sending you our love and lots of postive thoughts and healing prayers. Hugs to you, sweetheart.

lizbud
03-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Gosh, I am so sorry to hear this.:( Poor Snoopy.:(

What a horrible evening for you both.Is it usual to have more
than one seizure ? Can they give anything to prevent another
episode, or just treat it afterwards? I am praying that he gets
stabilized & feels better soon. My heart goes out to him.

schteve_d
03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
That's terrible for you and Snoop! A friend of mine's dog used to have siezures like that and I was there for a couple of them; not a pleasant sight to say the least! I think I was more terrified than the poor dog! I sure hope the vet can offer some relief. That must be so terrifying for a dog, and of course you can't explain it to him! Again, I hope the vet is able to help; I'm sure it is as hard on you as it is on Snoop!

KYS
03-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Sending so many hugs and good thoughts to you
sweet Snoopy.
(((^..^)))

joycenalex
03-28-2005, 08:09 PM
i hate when the seizure creature gets any dog. many a night i've slept on the floor to keep alex company, you've got my sympathies.

Logan
03-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Oh Diana, I am so sorry that Snoopy is going through this. It has to be horribly worrisome for you and Carl. Sounds as if even the other dogs are aware of what is going on. :(

I hope you can get him settled down and the seizures will stop.

Logan

shais_mom
03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Oh Diana - and Snoopy. I am so sorry to hear this. poor lil guy...
he will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Please call if you need anything.

Oggyflute
03-29-2005, 12:10 AM
My best wishes and thoughts to you Snoopy.

4 Dog Mother
03-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Is it usual to have more than one seizure ? Can they give anything to prevent another episode, or just treat it afterwards?

Some dogs have just one seizure and others have repeated ones. The first time Snoopy had seizures was last summer - the first one was about 9:00 again and he had about 3 more during the night. The vet said that some dogs have one every few months and if you can deal with them they don't give the dog anything. However, when they have a cluster of them, like Snoopy it is more likely to happen at closer intervals and they can get longer in length which is very hard on the dog's system. Snoopy has been taking phenobarbitol ever since twice a day - that is suppose to prevent them. However, he may need a higher dose now and they can find that out by a blood test which is what will happen today.

They give dogs valium to keep them from having more once they start having them. A vet can actually give them a shot which will sometimes stop a long seizure. They have given me a prescription now so once he has one I can give him the valium to keep more from happening.

They really don't know what causes seizures in dogs. They can just try to keep them from having them primarily with phenibarbitol.

Snoopy has not had another seizure since the 4 am one yesterday morning. He goes to the vet this afternoon to have the blood test to check his phenobarbitol level.

Animal Lover12
03-29-2005, 07:48 AM
Aaaaawwwwwww,,,,,poor Snoopy!
I love you Snoopy!
All hugs and kisses forth to Snoopy!
lets hope he doesn't have another one and the medicine works!!

Cinder & Smoke
03-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother

Snoopy has not had another seizure since
the 4 am one yesterday morning.
He goes to the vet this afternoon to have the blood test
to check his phenobarbitol level.

THAT's Good News - a problem-free day!! :)

Hang In There, Snooperz - and Mom, too! ;)

More Purrayers for a good visit at the White Coats.

lizbud
03-29-2005, 09:45 AM
Diana,

Thanks for explaining.Please let everyone know how the office visit goes today.I'll be praying for Snoopy.This must be so scary
for him & you too. Get better Snoopy.

ramanth
03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Hugs and Healing Vibes for Snoopy!

Queen of Poop
03-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Your situation has brought me to tears. Poor Snoopy, he must be so scared. And I can't even imagine how scared you are when it happens. Prayers for a good outcome from the vet visit and lessened seizures for you and Snoopy to endure. :(

shais_mom
03-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Hugs and thoughts on the way for Snoops!

tatsxxx11
03-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Thinking of you, Snoops!!! Hope to hear from your Mom soon with an encouraging update. Lots of hugs and kisses to you precious Snoopy!!!:)

4 Dog Mother
03-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, I don't know anything yet - the results of Snoopy's blood tests should be back tomorrow. There was a new vet and she said I should chart Snoopy's seizures. That way we might find some kind of common denominator. She said she worked at an animal ER and she could always count on about 3 dog seizures coming in on Full Moons. Full moon was Friday night. I had her check when Snoopy's first seizures were and they were on September 24. Almost exactly six months ago!!!!
And the full moon in September was September 28.

They took a full vile of blood - Snoopy was such a good boy - he barely even noticed!

The vet also said that stress could cause it, or a treat could have had something in it that could have caused it. That the liver loves phenabarbitol and it can start to use it up quicker which may be why he may need an increase in dosage. And that he may keep needing an increasse until the level is such that it would not be healthy for him which is when they would add another drug to the phenabaritol .

Cincy'sMom
03-29-2005, 09:33 PM
It should be interesting to see what the blood tests say. It is too bad they can't just link it to something and fix it :(

I don't think the vet had the orginal date right though...I found the old thread you posted, and according to that, Snoopy's first seizure was 8-13-04. That may toss out the full moon theory. There was one 7/31 and 8/30.

Here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=56028) is a link to that thread.

Cookiebaker
03-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Poor Snoopy, and poor you! I hope Snoopy doesn't have any more seizures and the meds. will work.

{{Hugs to you and Snoopy!}}

anna_66
03-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Oh little Snoopy boy I'm so sorry to hear that you are having more seizures:( I do hope that the new meds will keep you from having any more. Hugs and kissses to you sweet boy.

Diana I'm sure it has been hard watching your boy go through those seizures. Sounds like your doing just what needs to be done. I'll be keeping both you and Snoopy in my prayers.

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Poor Snoopy! I hope some new meds can help!

4 Dog Mother
03-30-2005, 07:13 PM
I wasn't home when the vet called today but Christy said she said that Snoopy's phenabarbitol level is okay. I need to call her back tomorrow so she can tell me my options. Christy said one was add another medication and of course, one was to wait and see if he has any more. So I guess I wait until tomorrow to see what else she has to say.

The good news is that Snoopy seems to be doing fine although he is even more clingy than ususal which is pretty bad since he thinks he should be joined at the hip with me.

delidog
03-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Oh Dearest Diana,Carl & Sweet,Sweet Snoopy!!!!
I am sooo sorry to hear this...I just saw the thread!!!
I hope your Vet has taken care of his meds for you!!!!

Please Give Him a Hug for me!!!
And You Too!!!
I know how Terrified you must have been!!!

You are in my Thoughts & Prayers!!!!!
Nicole

Logan
03-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Diana, I hope the vet will have a viable option for you tomorrow. We have been remembering Snoopy in our prayers. We are cheering for him to get better!!!! :)

captain
03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
SNoopy boy - so sorry to read about your seizures.

Hugs and prayers across the miles to you.

4 Dog Mother
03-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Well, I talked to the vet today and she said that if we increase his phenabarbitol it could be bad for his liver. And we could add another medication but she hates to over medicate since he doesn't have these episodes very often. So we have decided to leave his phenabarbitol dosage the same and Keep an eye on him. If he starts having them more frequently than we will change soemthing.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers!

2crazypuppies4me
03-31-2005, 06:08 PM
My friends dog has seizures and her vet told her to get food and treat with NO wheat. I have a feeling that I've told someone here before this but if it helps... try it. I'm not a vet but he my be alergic (SP) to something. {{{hugs}}}

lizbud
03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Thinking of ya today Snoopy. Hope you're feeling a little
better every day sweetheart. :)

Cinder & Smoke
03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Sounds like the Vet is both cautious but concerned.

Here's some more Good Thoughts and Purrayers for Snoopy!

And {{{Hugs}}} for Mom and Dad!

/s/ Phred and all the FurKids

pitc9
03-31-2005, 07:56 PM
*~Hugs~* to you, Snoopy and the rest of the gang.

I don't know what I would have done seeing one of my pups like you did. Bless you, you are a strong woman!

Paws crossed and prayers on the way for you and Snoopy!

anna_66
03-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Snoops I hope you keep feeling better and they don't have to worry about adding other meds. Hugs to you sweet boy.

micki76
04-03-2005, 09:55 PM
:( I just saw this. Hope Snoopy's feeling better. Any more episodes?

SpiritHorse
04-25-2005, 01:13 AM
How is Snoopster doing?
Did they add that new med?
I don't know if I could have beared what you saw that night!
Many hugs,thoughts and prayers for you and Snoopy!

4 Dog Mother
04-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Yes, they added the new medicine - it is a natural medication - potassium bromide so it takes longer to build up in the system - it will probably be about 2 months until it is at the level to really make a difference. So in the meantime, we just hope and pray that he doesn't have any more. At least now I have Valium to give him after so he won't have a series of seizures.